Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boot failing on "systemd-journald [XXX]: Received request to flush runtime journal from PID 1"

Default Boot failing on "systemd-journald [XXX]: Received request to flush runtime journal from PID 1"

Hi Folks,

I've been using OpenSUSE 13.1 for the pas few weeks, no big probs.
    Today, I can't access the login screen : I'm stuck with the splash screen.

I rebooted on emergency mode, and the boot sequence seems to be caught in a loop. At some point, it just says :
    Code:
    Welcome to emergency mode! After loggin in, type "journalctl -xb" to view system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" to try again to boot in default mode
    systemd-journald [XXX]: Received request to flush runtime journal from PID 1
    XXX being , 292 or 290, the 2 times I made the experiment.

This 3 or 4 times, then "welcome to ermergency mode!" again, then systemd-journald resquest, same numbers, again and again. No way I can get a working terminal.

Any hints before I format the whole thing ?

Have a nice sunday people !
    OpenSUSE 13.1 x64 on a Asrock H87 Performance, 8Go RAM, Intel core i5 4670, GTX 670. Dual boot Windows 8.1, two separate hard drives.

Default Re: Boot failing on "systemd-journald [XXX]: Received request to flush runtime journal from PID 1"

Inability to enter emergency mode is bug https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=852021. Almost the only reason for systemd to enter emergency mode is failure to mount filesystem defined in /etc/fstab; so you need to check what is there and probably comment out those you do not need, so you can boot and investigate it further.

Default Re: Boot failing on "systemd-journald [XXX]: Received request to flush runtime journal from PID 1"

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Inability to enter emergency mode is bug https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=852021. Almost the only reason for systemd to enter emergency mode is failure to mount filesystem defined in /etc/fstab; so you need to check what is there and probably comment out those you do not need, so you can boot and investigate it further.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll do that asap (using a live CD, I reckon that's the only way), and let you know how it goes.
    OpenSUSE 13.1 x64 on a Asrock H87 Performance, 8Go RAM, Intel core i5 4670, GTX 670. Dual boot Windows 8.1, two separate hard drives.

What file system are you using? ext4 or btrfs

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    What file system are you using? ext4 or btrfs
    btrfs. Does that make a difference ?

Oh yea.

Sounds like corrupted file system you may try running fsck on it but to be honest I'm not sure the BTRFS tool chain is really totally working yet so I'm not sure about a real recovery.

Use a live DVD or the recovery CD images to boot from and you maybe able to fix it. But history is not good on that point. If you don't want to experment with cutting edge file systems you might want to reinstall with ext4

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Use a live DVD or the recovery CD images to boot from and you maybe able to fix it. But history is not good on that point. If you don't want to experment with cutting edge file systems you might want to reinstall with ext4
    Ok. I'll try that. Since the opensuse news said that "The btrfs file system has received a serious workout and while not default, is considered stable for everyday usage", I thought it was no longer considered "cutting edge file system". My bad

Well so they say but do you really believe them,

It is ok as long as all goes well the problem is recovery from corruption. Also it seems a little less able to resist problems like loss of power or improper shut downs then say ext4.

There was a push on to make btrfs the default for 13.1 and it may be for 13.2. IMHO that is a huge mistake. For one thing it ships with the snapshot function on and pretty aggressive so you need to double the size of a partition to allow for the snaps. This is not going to be obvious to the naive user. Also most of the bells and whistles it promises I don't see much use for on the average desktop. And even so there are still a lot of those B&W are not actually ready yet. So currently it is not even feature complete.

You should probably report this problem on bugzilla. But we don't really understand how you got to this state so I'm not sure if will help you directly but it may alert the developers to the real world problems .

So did you try fsck from a 13.1 live DVD or the 13.1 rescue CD? It might work maybe.

Thanks for the reply gogalthorp.

Yep, from the 13.1 KDE livecd I did :

Code:
    linux:/home/linux # btrfsck /dev/sdb6
    Checking filesystem on /dev/sdb6
    UUID: 9bcac83a-e18f-4f9d-b9f2-b65be34d6938
    checking extents
    checking free space cache
    checking fs roots
    checking csums
    checking root refs
    found 1526216793 bytes used err is 0
    total csum bytes: 8499896
    total tree bytes: 624365568
    total fs tree bytes: 578822144
    total extent tree bytes: 34439168b
    tree space waste bytes: 175687504
    file data blocks allocated: 112948105216
    referenced 32351207424
    Btrfs v0.20-rc1+20130701

linux:/home/linux # btrfsck /dev/sdb8
    Checking filesystem on /dev/sdb8
    UUID: e0a6c69b-b993-4003-808a-ec322cec911f
    checking extents
    checking free space cache
    checking fs roots
    checking csums
    checking root refs
    found 70818243917 bytes used err is 0
    total csum bytes: 117383800
    total tree bytes: 180862976
    total fs tree bytes: 35999744
    total extent tree bytes: 14737408b
    tree space waste bytes: 17875899
    file data blocks allocated: 245588201472
    referenced 119927652352
    Btrfs v0.20-rc1+20130701
    sdb6 and 8 being my / and /home partitions. To no avail.

I haven't tried commenting all lines on fstab except for the /boot, /, swap and /home partitions. I will, but I seriously doubt it'll solve the problem. The first time I encountered this issue, I guessed it was partition-mounting related since I had just shut down Windows quite abruptely (dual boot, 2 hard drives). So I went back to windows, shut it down properly, and then OpenSUSE booted fine.
    Here, I have started and stopped windows a dozen times since I can't get OpenSUSE to work, it made no difference ...

If I can't solve my problem and go for the format option, I'll certainly revert to ext4. But I don't know if that's relevant to fill a bug : I have no idea how the issue appeared. I believe the only thing I did before OpenSUSE broke down was to apply some common updates ...

Quote Originally Posted by AKoine View Post
    I haven't tried commenting all lines on fstab except for the /boot, /, swap and /home partitions.
    /boot, swap and /home are not needed to boot system.
    The first time I encountered this issue, I guessed it was partition-mounting related since I had just shut down Windows quite abruptely (dual boot, 2 hard drives). So I went back to windows, shut it down properly, and then OpenSUSE booted fine.
    Please show your /etc/fstab

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast