Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Unable to remove/stop updater on openSUSE 13.1

  1. #1

    Default Unable to remove/stop updater on openSUSE 13.1

    I want to use zypper only to handle updating, not the updater applet (or whatever is the bug icon on the taskbar) but even after removing the bug from the taskbar AND unchecking "Apper Monitor" in "Configure Desktop"->"Startup and Shutdown"->"Service Manager", it still runs and shows on the taskbar on startup. And when I try to do zypper it tells me something is using packagekit. How do I stop this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Unable to remove/stop updater on openSUSE 13.1

    The behaviour has changed a little
    But choose the settings as required from here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...per-config.pdf
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,798

    Default Re: Unable to remove/stop updater on openSUSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I want to use zypper only to handle updating, not the updater applet (or whatever is the bug icon on the taskbar) but even after removing the bug from the taskbar AND unchecking "Apper Monitor" in "Configure Desktop"->"Startup and Shutdown"->"Service Manager", it still runs and shows on the taskbar on startup. And when I try to do zypper it tells me something is using packagekit. How do I stop this?
    Then deinstall apper (and you can also deinstall packagekit). When something is not there, you do no have to worry how to switch it off
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,676
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Unable to remove/stop updater on openSUSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I want to use zypper only to handle updating, not the updater applet (or whatever is the bug icon on the taskbar) but even after removing the bug from the taskbar AND unchecking "Apper Monitor" in "Configure Desktop"->"Startup and Shutdown"->"Service Manager", it still runs and shows on the taskbar on startup. And when I try to do zypper it tells me something is using packagekit. How do I stop this?
    This is strange.

    I'm doing what you said you did: I removed the "software updater" in system tray settings. I unchecked "Apper" in "Service Manager". I rebooted.

    Since then, I have not had any sign that packagekit is running, nor have I seen the updater.

    I rebooted, because "packagekit" runs as a systemwide daemon, rather than as part of my desktop. As far as I know, it is started on request of Apper, but will continue running until shutdown or until explicitly killed.

    It's probably two weeks since I stopped running Apper and the tray updater process. And I have not seen any sign of them since.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Unable to remove/stop updater on openSUSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    This is strange.

    I'm doing what you said you did: I removed the "software updater" in system tray settings. I unchecked "Apper" in "Service Manager". I rebooted.

    Since then, I have not had any sign that packagekit is running, nor have I seen the updater.

    I rebooted, because "packagekit" runs as a systemwide daemon, rather than as part of my desktop. As far as I know, it is started on request of Apper, but will continue running until shutdown or until explicitly killed.

    It's probably two weeks since I stopped running Apper and the tray updater process. And I have not seen any sign of them since.
    And that's how it's designed. Typically linux, you tell something to stop and it stops.
    I've been playing around the same way, i.e. switch on, switch off, and it works, taken the reboot / manual kill of packagekitd
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,731
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Unable to remove/stop updater on openSUSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Then deinstall apper (and you can also deinstall packagekit). When something is not there, you do no have to worry how to switch it off
    Good logic, particularly if running Tumbleweed.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •