Thread: Language and dictionaries

Default Language and dictionaries

Hi, How can I ensure that the language for Suse 12.3 is British English and that for Libre office is also British English?
    Also how can I set suse to use a UK keyboard layout once it's installed and is currently using an american layout?

Regards Steve

Default Re: Language and dictionaries

Quote Originally Posted by steveis2 View Post
    Hi, How can I ensure that the language for Suse 12.3 is British English and that for Libre office is also British English?
    YaST->Software Management->View->Languages, install en_gb there.
    Not sure if that changes the default settings for LibreOffice, but it should install all british dictionaries and translations.
    Also how can I set suse to use a UK keyboard layout once it's installed and is currently using an american layout?
    YaST->Hardware->Keyboard for the keyboard layout to set it system-wide, your Desktop's configuration tool ("Systemsettings"/"Configure Desktop" for KDE, f.e.) to change it for this specific user (this will override the system-wide setting).

You can set the system language in YaST->System->Language.
    And again this may be overridden for a specific user in your Desktop's configuration tool.

If you gave your locale as one for which British English is relevant, the appropriate Hunspell dictionary should be installed. You can check with
    Code:
    hunspell -D
    You may need to add Ctrl-C at the end to terminate the display.
    British English is en_GB. If it isn't present, you can install it with YaST.

You can then set it as the default language in LibreOffice Tools>Options>Language.

Hi, Thanks for the help it was very useful.

Steve

You need to install the appropriate libreoffice-languagetool and libreoffice-thesaurus files available for your language ..