Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRUB/GRUB2 problem

Default GRUB/GRUB2 problem

Hello. I hope I will not call the wrath of everyone, but I have a small (or maybe big) problem with GRUB and GRUB2.
    I have a desktop containing several HDDs, one of which is partitioned in at least 3 partitions. The first installed system was OpenSUSE 13.1 32-bit. Then I installed a copy of Windows 7 Prof. from my GF. However the serial codes didn´t match so I downloaded the right version to match with my serial code and installed that one by running the iso file from within the old Windows 7. It rewrited the mbr, naturally, and then the windows loader offerred me 2 Windows 7 to choose from. Anyway, the friend who installed OpenSUSE for me sent me the "repair GRUB after Windows" so I tried to do that but I fear I did it from the OpenSUSE running from livestick and I somehow srewed it up.

Long story short: Now when I boot up, it jumps into GRUB 0.97, from which I am able to manually go
    (root hd0,0
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    boot)
    into something I believe is GRUB2. From there, I can select Windows 7, which leads me into Windows loader which then leads me to the operating system. However doing this is really annoying, so is there any way to get rid of GRUB 0.97?

I am a noob, so sorry if I didn´t attach everything you need, will try to remedy that on request.

Default Re: GRUB/GRUB2 problem

Looks like I pissed the mighty Tux.
    I tried the repair from the page once more (going in the terminal and sudo /usr/sbin/grub then inatalling grub stage 2). It looked hopeful, yet now I somehow cannot get into windows at all. The former set of commands:
    Code:
    root (hd0,0)
     makeactive
     chainloader +1
     boot
    now returns "Bootmgr missing, press Ctrl Alt Del to reboot". With this instead:
    Code:
    root (hd0,1)
     makeactive
     chainloader +1
     boot
    it gets to the graphic loader, however if Windows is selected, it only says: "GRUB loaded, hello!" (or something like that) and cycles back to the graphic loader. The only way out is to select OpenSUSE, which works. But this seems to me like a doozy.
    Any ideas?

I have no idea how, but probably during some of my desperate attempts to remedy, I made the "Bootmgr missing" issue go away.
    Code:
    root (hd0,0) makeactive chainloader +1 boot
    now yields GRUB2 (maybe, I suppose the graphical interface for selecting system indeed is GRUB2). However it is still unable to boot Windows, it just loops back to GRUB2 if Windows is selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladivoj View Post
    However it is still unable to boot Windows, it just loops back to GRUB2 if Windows is selected.
    Did you recreate grub2 configuration after installing Windows? Menu entry is static and does not know anything about systems you installed after creating menu, so it may be stale.

Try running "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" in openSUSE.

So I remedied the most pressing issue, which was being able toboot Windows. I did that by replacing MBR with Windows-friendly one. Now it automatically boots Windows. So, should I try installing GRUB2 once again? I am kinda scared now...

Quote Originally Posted by Vladivoj View Post
    So I remedied the most pressing issue, which was being able toboot Windows. I did that by replacing MBR with Windows-friendly one. Now it automatically boots Windows. So, should I try installing GRUB2 once again? I am kinda scared now...
    Try this:

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ml#post2604708

*Make sure the SUSE partition is the active partition.

*Install GRUB to the SUSE partition, NOT the MBR.

*GRUB should chainload Windows from there.

-fb

One clean reinstall later, the following happens:
    I installed OpenSUSE 13.1, then Win7, now I want to repair the bootloader to GRUB2.
    So, I plug in the liveflash, select the OpenSUSE 13.1 LIVECD and try to do this:
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Repair_MB...indows_install
    But in the step
    grub2-install /dev/sda [actually by me it is /dev/sdb, sda is god knows why my Windows backup disk]

Xterm says:
    /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: this LDM has no embedding partition; embedding won`t be possible
    /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for RAIDand LVM install

I suppose GRUB2 isn`t installed then, because when I reboot without the livestick, it shows the flashing vertical cursor and then Windows boots.

What am I supposed to do if I want the GRUB2 to give me choice between SUSE and Win?

Oh, I should mention that OpenSUSE is on sdb1 and the system files for W7 are on sdb3.

...yet sdb2, a 100 MB NTFS sector is set as boot in Gparted.

Make sure grub is installed to the openSUSE boot ( usually root /) partition as per previous posts here.

Make sure that the openSUSE boot partition is set as the active (ie boot partition) as per previous posts In this case sda1

Windows should show one you have it correctly booting to Linux If not ask again can easily be fixed

So, I went to repair it and ended up somehow screwing up the whole installation. So I formatted the whole / to ext4 and yet, this came up. Naturally, the GRUB2 wasn`t installed and when I put in the livestick and select Boot from disk, it just beeps and circles back to the menu without actually booting. The only option is to launch the SUSE Live. When I try to repair GRUB2 via YaST/Bootloader and I set it to GRUB2 + Custom Boot Partition [/dev/sdb1, which is the /], I get the "/usr/sbin/grub2-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `overlayfs'."

So, could you help a poor noob? What now?

Naturally, the GRUB2 wasn`t installed and when I put in the livestick and select Boot from disk, it just beeps and circles back to the menu without actually booting. The only option is to launch the SUSE Live. When I try to repair GRUB2 via YaST/Bootloader and I set it to GRUB2 + Custom Boot Partition [/dev/sdb1, which is the /], I get the "/usr/sbin/grub2-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `overlayfs'."

So, could you help a poor noob? What now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast