Thread: Nvidia driver install on 13.1

Default Nvidia driver install on 13.1

Hello Everyone!

I've been trying to install the latest Nvidia driver into my fresh OpenSUSE 13.1 installation on my desktop. But, every time I try to install it, I get an error saying that I'm running an X server. I've tried running a few commands like "init 3" and "service xdm stop" but the Nvidia installer still thinks an X server is running.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? Or know of a better way to stop the X server and allow the driver installation?

The card is a GTX580.

The nouveau driver doesn't seem to work very well with this card. I'm not sure how to describe it properly, but it seems like the window manager freezes up after a few minutes. I can get to a terminal with ctrl + alt + f1 but it takes time for it to come up. I also had the same problem on another distribution and installing the Nvidia proprietary driver is the way that I solved it there.

So, I have to either keep waiting for the Nvidia repository to come up, or try to install the driver myself, which is not working.

Thanks!

Default Re: Nvidia driver install on 13.1

Quote Originally Posted by oapeter View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I've been trying to install the latest Nvidia driver into my fresh OpenSUSE 13.1 installation on my desktop. But, every time I try to install it, I get an error saying that I'm running an X server. I've tried running a few commands like "init 3" and "service xdm stop" but the Nvidia installer still thinks an X server is running.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? Or know of a better way to stop the X server and allow the driver installation?

The card is a GTX580.

The nouveau driver doesn't seem to work very well with this card. I'm not sure how to describe it properly, but it seems like the window manager freezes up after a few minutes. I can get to a terminal with ctrl + alt + f1 but it takes time for it to come up. I also had the same problem on another distribution and installing the Nvidia proprietary driver is the way that I solved it there.

So, I have to either keep waiting for the Nvidia repository to come up, or try to install the driver myself, which is not working.

Thanks!
    Knurpht has an excellent blogentry on this subject. https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/kn...-opensuse-152/

Awesome! Can I run the .ymp file from the command line? It's the only time my system is stable enough to do anything.

Thank you!

Awesome! Can I run the .ymp file from the command line? It's the only time my system is stable enough to do anything.
    Try to boot to "recovery mode" ("Advanced Options" in the boot menu).
    Your system doesn't use nouveau then and should run stable.

Hello again!

This worked great for getting the Nvidia driver installed! Thank you!

However I have since worked out that the crashes don't seem to be related. From what I can tell, it happens when I try to mount a drive in the GUI, and then realize its the wrong drive and hit cancel on the authentication request. What section should I head to with this problem? For now I'm just avoiding that cancel button.

Thanks!

However I have since worked out that the crashes don't seem to be related. From what I can tell, it happens when I try to mount a drive in the GUI, and then realize its the wrong drive and hit cancel on the authentication request. What section should I head to with this problem? For now I'm just avoiding that cancel button.!
    This problem seems to have disappeared after one of the recent updates.

Good riddance!

On to installing all my other software!