Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 112

Thread: 13.1 DVD says welcome & dies

  1. #1

    Default 13.1 DVD says welcome & dies

    Quite simply, I can boot the 13.1 DVD image, see the welcome message, but selecting anything but boot from HDD and memory test fails. Even firmware test ends in failure. The "Loading Kernel" bar moves as expected but when the kernel's loaded (I assume), the system simply reboots and brings me back to the 31.1 Welcome splash screen again. The install is on an HP desktop with an Athlon 4-core CPU that's been running 12.3 successfully for well over a year.

    I tried two two different downloads (same file, of course, different sources) - the checksums check out. I just can't get past the initial startup kernel load.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: 13.1 DVD says welcome & dies

    On 2013-12-04 23:46, RBEmerson wrote:
    > I tried two two different downloads (same file, of course, different
    > sources) - the checksums check out. I just can't get past the initial
    > startup kernel load.


    Are you using a DVD, or a usb stick? In the first case, you have to
    verify the burn.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  3. #3

    Default Re: 13.1 DVD says welcome & dies

    The verify worked on both burns. Unfortunately, the BIOS in this box won't let me boot from a stick. So I have two ISO files, one from a mirror and one from direct link, that have good checksums and which verify after the burn. Kinda leaves me wondering what's in the kernel that my desktop doesn't like. As I said, it's fine with 12.3.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,490
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: 13.1 DVD says welcome & dies

    How confident are you that your DVD/CD reader is good ? I've seen such behaviour with a failing DVD/CD reader. Can you borrow someone's external DVD reader and try from that?

  5. #5

    Default Re: 13.1 DVD says welcome & dies

    That thought occurred to me, too. The answer is to date there've been no problems with reads or burns, and the two DVD's I burned for 13.1 verified correctly. Finally, using two diffent DVD brands, I still got exactly the same results (boots, says welcome, starts to load the kernel, fails).

    My current theory is there's some obscure incompatibility issue at work here. But what? Of all the Linuxs I've installed, none have ever failed outright. some were slow, some had to be stripped down to fit, but none simply refused to run. And this goes back to the pre V1.00 days.

    [/headscratch]
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: 13.1 DVD says welcome & dies

    On 2013-12-05 03:46, RBEmerson wrote:

    > My current theory is there's some obscure incompatibility issue at work
    > here. But what?


    Possibly.

    > Of all the Linuxs I've installed, none have ever failed
    > outright. some were slow, some had to be stripped down to fit, but none
    > simply refused to run. And this goes back to the pre V1.00 days.


    Try booting in failsafe.

    Get into the bios, and make sure that the entry for the floppy is
    disabled. Just in case.

    There is a trick to boot the image.iso file directly, not the DVD, from
    grub. There is a recent thread about that. I would try to see if the
    live test system runs, no much use installing 13.1 if the kernel doesn't
    run.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  7. #7

    Default Re: 13.1 DVD says welcome & dies

    Thanks - I'll run those suggestions down.

    There is no floppy drive in the box; I'll make very sure that entry in the boot table is disabled. It should be, and I assume it is, but, as we all know, "'assume' is the mother of FU's". [/LOL]
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: 13.1 DVD says welcome & dies

    On 2013-12-05 17:16, RBEmerson wrote:
    >
    > Thanks - I'll run those suggestions down.
    >
    > There is no floppy drive in the box; I'll make very sure that entry in
    > the boot table is disabled. It should be, and I assume it is, but, as we
    > all know, "'assume' is the mother of FU's". [/LOL]


    Many computers do not have floppy, but despite that, the bios has an
    entry for floppy. Not the boot table, but the list of available devices,
    near the sda, sdb, sdc list.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  9. #9

    Default Re: 13.1 DVD says welcome & dies

    On 2013-12-04, RBEmerson <RBEmerson@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    > Quite simply, I can boot the 13.1 DVD image, see the welcome message,
    > but selecting anything but boot from HDD and memory test fails. Even
    > firmware test ends in failure. The "Loading Kernel" bar moves as
    > expected but when the kernel's loaded (I assume), the system simply
    > reboots and brings me back to the 31.1 Welcome splash screen again. The
    > install is on an HP desktop with an Athlon 4-core CPU that's been
    > running 12.3 successfully for well over a year.
    >
    > I tried two two different downloads (same file, of course, different
    > sources) - the checksums check out. I just can't get past the initial
    > startup kernel load.


    I had this once happen on a DVD burn in which the md5 checksum was fine and burn apparently verified - but YaST's Media
    Check reporting the disc as unusable. I'm not sure whether it was the drive or disc or the combination.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: 13.1 DVD says welcome & dies

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post

    Many computers do not have floppy, but despite that, the bios has an
    entry for floppy.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    This is an important distinction robin_listas makes.

    On a couple of my machines, I have no floppy drives, but I have to go into the BIOS and disable both the floppy drive and the floppy drive controller to get a happy system. Check your BIOS for the same entries and, if they are there, disable them.

    -fb

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •