Thread: Upgrade 12.3/13.1 - Clone disks, grub2, by-id's & all that confusion...

Default Upgrade 12.3/13.1 - Clone disks, grub2, by-id's & all that confusion...

As a prelude to an upgrade, I wish to rehearse the process on a test machine.
    Step one, is to clone the boot disc.
    Now, of course, as 12.3 uses grub2 and multiple references to devices by "by-id" and maybe even UUID's as well, that disk won't boot because the boot process is looking for the original disc.

How many files need to be edited in the cloned disc to enable that clone to boot? I think that it may include, but is not limited to:
    /boot/grub2/grub.cfg & /boot/grub2/device.map.

Are there any tools/scripts that will make all the necessary changes for me? Something that I can run under a "Live" OS maybe?

Regards, Martin

Default Re: Upgrade 12.3/13.1 - Clone disks, grub2, by-id's & all that confusion...

On 2013-12-04 22:26, martinprowe wrote:
    > Are there any tools/scripts that will make all the necessary changes for
    > me? Something that I can run under a "Live" OS maybe?

No.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Default Re: Upgrade 12.3/13.1 - Clone disks, grub2, by-id's & all that confusion...

/etc/fstab

Quote Originally Posted by martinprowe View Post
    Are there any tools/scripts that will make all the necessary changes for me?
    Unfortunately, no. Something that is definitely needed (consider the case of replacing failed disk as example). Did you check if there is existing feature request (http://features.opensuse.org/)?