Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Problems with native Steam

  1. #1

    Unhappy Problems with native Steam

    I have openSUSE 13.1 upgraded from 12.3 with Gnome-Shell 3.10 and kernel-desktop 3.12.2 from Kernel:Stable repo.
    My PC specs is: Intel Core i5-3570k, Geforce GTX 660 and 8GB of RAM.

    After upgrading i started to have weird problems with native Steam.
    Some games (Metro: Last Light, Worms Reloaded, Natural Selection 2) crashes when i'm launching them from Steam client (by pressing Play button).
    But this games working fine when i'm shutting down Steam and launching game from desktop launcher, after that Steam starts and this games can be launched from client directly.
    Also, if i launching Steam client from sh file (~/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh) this games works normally, but if client started on boot or from terminal, everything is broken again.
    I created bug report in Steam Github repo and devs said that something is interfering with signals from steam and i need to try and find out what that is.

    Any help much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Problems with native Steam

    Have been having a similar problem with Natural Selection 2. I will hit play and it will just freeze on the initial loading screen.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Problems with native Steam

    Start steam from the command line by typing steam in a console.


    If you start steam from the command line, you can after steam has started, just start the game by clicking on the play button, but don't close the console.

    Look for errors and post the output here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canadiana
    Posts
    461

    Default Re: Problems with native Steam

    On 12/11/2013 08:36 AM, Gps2010 wrote:
    >
    > Start steam from the command line by typing steam in a console.
    >
    >
    > If you start steam from the command line, you can after steam has
    > started, just start the game by clicking on the play button, but don't
    > close the console.
    >
    > Look for errors and post the output here.


    Do it something like this so that steam will run as a background process
    and log all the information it spews out into a file.

    Code:
    steam &> steam-log &
    Then just copy paste the file to http://paste.opensuse.org/
    Refer to this if you dont know about I/O redirection: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/...ect_05_01.html

    --
    Was I helpful? Click that little star so that I can brag about it to my
    invisible friends
    Bring the Penguins Back! https://features.opensuse.org/316767

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: Problems with native Steam

    Are you using the Nvidia 331.20 driver? There is a definite problem with signals in that version; see here(and the links therein). Nvidia has acknowledged there is a problem, and hopefully will provide a new driver.
    Use the Source, Luke

  6. #6

    Default Re: Problems with native Steam

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBaltz View Post
    Are you using the Nvidia 331.20 driver? There is a definite problem with signals in that version; see here(and the links therein). Nvidia has acknowledged there is a problem, and hopefully will provide a new driver.
    I upgraded kernel to 3.13 and nvidia driver to 334.16 and problem still exist. I also tried to install older drivers but Xorg crashes after that.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Problems with native Steam

    Quote Originally Posted by Shished View Post
    I upgraded kernel to 3.13 and nvidia driver to 334.16 and problem still exist. I also tried to install older drivers but Xorg crashes after that.
    Older drivers might not work with Kernel 3.13 or the Xorg included in openSUSE (depending on which version exactly you tried to install).
    But why 334.16? That's a beta version. The latest stable version is 331.49.
    And the signal problem should already be fixed in that version.

    And is there any specific reason for using kernel 3.12/3.13?
    If you downgrade to the included 3.11.10 version, you could even use the nvidia driver from the official repo, which should rule out quite a few possible causes for problems (like forgetting to reinstall the driver after a kernel/Xorg/Mesa update ).

  8. #8

    Default Re: Problems with native Steam

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Older drivers might not work with Kernel 3.13 or the Xorg included in openSUSE (depending on which version exactly you tried to install).
    But why 334.16? That's a beta version. The latest stable version is 331.49.
    And the signal problem should already be fixed in that version.

    And is there any specific reason for using kernel 3.12/3.13?
    If you downgrade to the included 3.11.10 version, you could even use the nvidia driver from the official repo, which should rule out quite a few possible causes for problems (like forgetting to reinstall the driver after a kernel/Xorg/Mesa update ).
    I tried 331.49, Xorg cannot start with it. Also i used previous versions of drivers before and that bug still presents.
    I found reports that this bug appears after upgrading openSUSE from 12.3 to 13.1 and the fix is OS reinstall. I do not want to do it.

    Latest kernels are better because they have many stability fixes and improvements.
    I prefer to use latest versions of software. Also, i'm using dkms for additional kernel modules so no need to reinstall driver and other stuff.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Problems with native Steam

    Quote Originally Posted by Shished View Post
    I tried 331.49, Xorg cannot start with it.
    Well, I haven't tried 331.49 in particular, but I would find that strange.
    Have you maybe updated Xorg to the latest version as well?

    I found reports that this bug appears after upgrading openSUSE from 12.3 to 13.1 and the fix is OS reinstall. I do not want to do it.
    Which bug? The steam problem?
    I don't see how an OS reinstall would help here.

    If it really would, there must be a different way to fix this as well. Like installing/uninstalling some particular packages, changing some configuration, enabling/disabling certain system services.

    Latest kernels are better because they have many stability fixes and improvements.
    Well, yes, but they might break stuff like the nvidia driver.

    I prefer to use latest versions of software. Also, i'm using dkms for additional kernel modules so no need to reinstall driver and other stuff.
    Ok, just be aware of the fact that updates to xorg-x11-server and Mesa-libGL1 will break your nvidia driver installation despite of dkms.

    I have no idea about your actual steam problem though, sorry.
    As I said, that nvidia driver signal problem that Gps2010 referred to has been fixed in version 331.38 already.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Feb-2014 at 08:14.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Problems with native Steam

    I also found reports that this problem may be related to glibc. openSUSE 12.3 has 2.17 and 13.1 has 2.18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •