Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13.1 XFCE Fresh Install Advice

Default 13.1 XFCE Fresh Install Advice

I have been using Windows xp in my PC. I tried Suse earlier but gave up. Since XP support is going away I wan to use Linux. I installed 13.1 Gnome and found it's not my cup of tea. After going thru wiki's installed Cinnamon DE but it isn't much responsive either. Then went ahead and installed XFCE and it's working snappier. I would like to keep it.

I would like to have a clean install of Opensuse XFCE but running low on Internet bandwidth/limit.

Is it possible to have a clean install using packages from existing installation? May be using Netinstall ISO?

Default Re: 13.1 XFCE Fresh Install Advice

A net-install upgrade will probably not delete the Gnome related packages you have installed. If bandwidth limit is an issue but you have sufficient space on disk why not just leave them in place? When you start XFCE only the necessary Gnome packages will be loaded. All the XFCE components should run like a clean DE installation.

I do not use XFCE but if disk space is an issue you could mark Gnome DE packages for removal in Yast2-software management-patterns then open the XFCE pattern listing and select 'keep' for any of the Gnome DE packages that appear in XFCE list as needed. Probably best to keep the Gnome base packages.

Blog Entries

Not really. At least, not if I understand you correctly.

So did you initially install with the net install iso ?

Downloading the DVD is usually a smart move, as it has all the packages to get you running nicely and once you have it, it doesn't need the internet to perform a install.
    To keep net data movement to a minimum after install. Just install security patches rather than all the application updates.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thanks for the suggestions. In our part of world downloading full DVD on a 512 kbps connection takes ages. Actually I was looking for a fresh install on the other hard disk using Netinstall iso and packages from the current install. May be I should continue to use the current system as is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srpandey View Post
    May be I should continue to use the current system as is.
    Indeed .
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Quote Originally Posted by srpandey View Post
    I was looking for a fresh install on the other hard disk using Netinstall iso and packages from the current install. May be I should continue to use the current system as is.
    It is not easy to use net-install to install packages from the previous installation. You could clone it but that is not what you want. If your XFCE DE is running well (it must be, you are talking to us) why not wait while you do some reading in the excellent support sections of this site and build up your experience? Documentation is always a good place to start.

Did you feel better than KDE when you installed xfce? I just wanted to know about it....
    Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop openSUSE 12.3 (Dartmouth) (i586) KDE 4.10.5 "release 1" Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by happy21 View Post
    Did you feel better than KDE when you installed xfce? I just wanted to know about it....
    Me personally, no.
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Me personally, no.
    I just heard that its a bit more light weight...but okay, KDE seems okay....
    Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop openSUSE 12.3 (Dartmouth) (i586) KDE 4.10.5 "release 1" Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz

Quote Originally Posted by happy21 View Post
    I just heard that its a bit more light weight...but okay, KDE seems okay....
    Hi,
    If you want a gorgeous looking xfce you have to install kdm and kwin
    It will pull some kde stuff enough to beautify your desktop/lappy.

Pretty kdm login screen
    Kwin for some cube effects etc...
    and still snappy

Edit
    To add. I like the feature of xfce where I can stretch the desktop
    wallpaper to fill my three monitors with one image.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast