Thread: Belkin N USB F5D8053 Wireless Adapter disconects randomly

Default Belkin N USB F5D8053 Wireless Adapter disconects randomly

Hi everyone,

I installed the new OpenSUSE 13.1 on a computer a month ago and I have been having trouble with my Wireless Adapter. I've been searching for a while and I ended up at several pages that were telling me all the same: downloading the Ralink drivers and install them manually. Until these days I didn't have time enough but now I've been trying to install after downloading them (I had problems with the make command) and after making the changes asked and installing the necessary packets, I came across this error when doing $make:

~/Downloads/2010_0709_RT2870_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.1> make
    make -C tools
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/qdsk/Downloads/2010_0709_RT2870_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.1/tools'
    gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/qdsk/Downloads/2010_0709_RT2870_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.1/tools'
    /home/qdsk/Downloads/2010_0709_RT2870_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.1/tools/bin2h
    cp -f os/linux/Makefile.6 /home/qdsk/Downloads/2010_0709_RT2870_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.1/os/linux/Makefile
    make -C /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/build SUBDIRS=/home/qdsk/Downloads/2010_0709_RT2870_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.1/os/linux modules
    make: *** /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: *** [LINUX] Error 2

So, the build folder that should be in the filesystem just doesn't exist. I tried to fix this by downloading the package build for building rpm (as it was requested in a post), but didn't work, and know I don't really know what to do next. It's really annoying having the WiFi disconected randomly and then for a few time it doesn't accept the network password and keeps asking you util it gets right...
    It's a WPA password the one that the router uses, in the web it was said that this was the problem and was why I had to reinstall the drivers with the WPA properties enabled.

Thanks in advance for your help

Default Re: Belkin N USB F5D8053 Wireless Adapter disconects randomly

I don't have an answer but you do know that random advice from the web may well be out of date????

I know... but better trying it than staying armcrossed... thanks for the reply anyway ^^

Quote Originally Posted by qdsk View Post
    I know... but better trying it than staying armcrossed... thanks for the reply anyway ^^
    You can install the STA driver from Packman:
    PackMan :: Informationen zum Paket broadcom-wl
    You need the packages "broadcom-wl" _and_ "broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop".

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You can install the STA driver from Packman: PackMan :: Informationen zum Paket broadcom-wl You need the packages "broadcom-wl" _and_ "broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop".
    Thanks for your answer wolfi, as you said I installed both packages, right now it may be too soon to tell if its working well but the problem hasn't yet repeated. If the problem continues appearing, I'll reply again.

On 12/03/2013 04:46 PM, qdsk wrote:
    >
    > wolfi323;2604994 Wrote:
    >> You can install the STA driver from Packman: 'PackMan :: Informationen
    >> zum Paket broadcom-wl'
    >> (http://packman.links2linux.de/package/broadcom-wl) You need the
    >> packages "broadcom-wl" _and_ "broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop". Thanks for your answer wolfi, as you said I installed both packages,

> right now it may be too soon to tell if its working well but the problem
    > hasn't yet repeated. If the problem continues appearing, I'll reply
    > again.

I am confused. In the first post, you said you were trying to build an Ralink
    driver for your wireless device, and now you say that the Broadcom wl driver
    "fixed" your problem.

Those two statements are as contradictory as trying to build an nVidia driver
    for your Intel graphics card!

Quote Originally Posted by lwfinger View Post
    On 12/03/2013 04:46 PM, qdsk wrote:
    I am confused. In the first post, you said you were trying to build an Ralink
    driver for your wireless device, and now you say that the Broadcom wl driver
    "fixed" your problem.

Those two statements are as contradictory as trying to build an nVidia driver
    for your Intel graphics card!
    I understand the contradiction, yet it seems to be working... I do neither understand why but it was usefull ^^

Actually, it doesn't work xD too good to be true. Any other solution?

Does it do this in windows? When I used to rely on these adapters I always had issues with Linux as they would keep disconnecting randomly, I just ended up switching to powerline adapters and ethernet.

Unhappy Re: Belkin N USB F5D8053 Wireless Adapter disconects randomly

Quote Originally Posted by alanbortu View Post
    Does it do this in windows? When I used to rely on these adapters I always had issues with Linux as they would keep disconnecting randomly, I just ended up switching to powerline adapters and ethernet.
    No issues in windows as far as i am concerned with the adapter, but i remember some years ago I tried ubuntu with this adapter and I had the exact same issue. I'm trying to switch to powerline, also think is the best, but its not my decision to do it so I still need to fix the WiFi adapter...