Thread: Multiple choices in software.opensuse - wich one to choose

Default Multiple choices in software.opensuse - wich one to choose

When finding software on the software.opensuse page, for example unetbootin, there are several options listed here (see image), what do they mean and wich one should I get ?
    Are those some kind of repositories ?

OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 x64 KDE

Default Re: Multiple choices in software.opensuse - wich one to choose

Quote Originally Posted by robertot5 View Post
    When finding software on the software.opensuse page, for example unetbootin, there are several options listed here (see image), what do they mean and wich one should I get ?
    Since all are the same version, I would go for the one from the "filesystems" repo. That repo is kind of "official" since it is a development repo for Factory.

Are those some kind of repositories ?
    Yes.
    Those home: repos are different people's private repos, everybody can have such a repo and build stuff in there.

Default Re: Multiple choices in software.opensuse - wich one to choose

As wolfi said, these are all repos but the home: ones are peoples private repos and that means they can share software with other users. Generally I think it is best to not use the home: ones if there is an 'official' choice available. Only real exception to that would be if the software dev themselves host a repo and you want to get the program right from their repo.