Thread: Is it a normal behavior?

Default Is it a normal behavior?

Hi friends,

i have got a suse machine, where ISC Bind and ISC Dhcp installed with chroot.

lab-suse-bind:~ # cat /etc/*release*
    openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64)
    VERSION = 11.3

#ps -A -o comm,pid,args | grep dhcpd

dhcpd 30143 /usr/sbin/dhcpd -4 -cf /etc/dhcpd.conf -pf /var/run/dhcpd.pid -chroot /var/lib/dhcp -lf /db/dhcpd.leases -user dhcpd -group nogroup eth0

as per my research on ISC bind and DHCP on other distribution , when machine is configured with chroot, then the config file will be available in (<Chroot>/configfilepath)

- But this machine has config file in both /etc/dhcpd.conf and /var/lib/dhcp/etc/dhcpd.conf

in every restart It copies file from "etc/dhcpd.conf" to " /var/lib/dhcp/etc/dhcpd.conf " and start the service

i just want to know , is it a normal behavior in suse, because i do not find similarity in other distribution . (other distributions do point to a single file , and no replacing in every restart)

Thanks
    Joe

Default Re: Is it a normal behavior?

Just so you know, 11.3 hasn't been in supported in a while and the BIND included in it has SEVERE SECURITY ISSUES - you should upgrade it immediately if it is facing the Internet in any way.

Also, the behaviour is normal - as you would expect from a chrooted application that requires updating the configuration files every now and then.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it a normal behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by joe_bics View Post
    i just want to know , is it a normal behavior in suse, because i do not find similarity in other distribution . (other distributions do point to a single file , and no replacing in every restart)
    That's the way "bind" worked, back when I was running a local instance. I think I was on opensuse 11 when I last ran "bind".

I found it confusing, but managed to work with it.

To me, it would seem more natural for "/etc/named.conf" to be a symlink to the corresponding file in chroot() location, instead of copying it at every startup of the service.

I agree with the other commenter on the risk of out-of-date software.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha