View Poll Results: Which Cloud Service Do You Prefer?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dropbox

21 25.00%
  • Google Drive

14 16.67%
  • Amazon Cloud

2 2.38%
  • Ubuntu One

0 0%
  • SpiderOak

5 5.95%
  • SkyDrive

4 4.76%
  • Mega

5 5.95%
  • Wuala

2 2.38%
  • Other

13 15.48%
  • I Don't Use Cloud Storage

18 21.43%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Which Cloud Storage Service Do You Prefer?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which Cloud Storage Service Do You Prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    Cool. Didn't know there is such a client. I'm using the http interface exclusively and it works great with Firefox on Linux and Windows.
    I held off for a while because most of the articles emphasized all of the warnings, but then I ran across another article where in the comments somebody mentioned what he modified to get it to work in openSUSE.

He had to replace the mention of "yum" (for Fedora installation) with "zypper". That's what I did and it installed.

I think, though, the current version includes the piece there for openSUSE now so I may have to uninstall the version I put up and try to get the latest-and-greatest version. Or wait until the next clean-install upgrade to put in a newer one.

Unfortunately even though I have it listed as a session startup application (Xfce), it doesn't start up automatically and I need to run
    Code:
    onedrive-d
    to get it to start. Not ideal, but not bad. Plus if I don't have Internet access at the time I don't get yelled at!

Oh, and I found out that in order for multiple people to work on the same office document, it has to be stored as a Microsoft Office document. It cannot handle multiple people working on the same document with the Open Document format.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

I don't trust cloud storage. I believe in the U.S. Constitution.

Right now it's still OneDrive because I have yet to get accustomed to ownCloud and integrating my mail into it.

Blog Entries

I've been working on setting up an ownCloud server at home primarily for file synchronization for myself and my family. I just have to get a couple of things worked out with openSUSE (e.g. static ip networking w/openSUSE for some reason always kicks my butt and doesn't work... I'm doing something wrong I'm sure).

Got it working on a Raspberry Pi for "proof of concept" while waiting for my 2TB hard drive to come in and did get it working (although it was slow).

I'm first going to use it locally, so the machines can take advantage of the faster networking (non-Internet limited) and provides the redundancy but then need to figure out an offsite backup plan (though at least all of the files will be located in one place for uploading somewhere)

This should reduce my reliance and duplication between cloud services, though will still use them for their respective purposes (Google Drive = personal, OneDrive = professional and volunteer organizations)
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456