Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Ralink Wifi rt3290 is not working on opensuse 13.

  1. #1

    Exclamation Ralink Wifi rt3290 is not working on opensuse 13.

    hello friends,

    recently i upgraded my laptop with opensuse 13.1
    and now it, wifi is not working
    well, i'm able to find wifi device using lspci
    here is the output of the same

    02:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT3290 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
    02:00.1 Bluetooth: Ralink corp. RT3290 Bluetooth
    output of uname -a
    Linux linux-cux8.site 3.11.6-4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 30 18:04:56 UTC 2013 (e6d4a27) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    i searched a lot on google but i have not found the solution of this problem
    i found this!
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=852173

    Please help me to get my wifi back on working

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2

    Thumbs up Re: Ralink Wifi rt3290 is not working on opensuse 13.

    just found the solution

    Thats was due to some kernel bug..

    But that bug is solved in kernel 3.12

    to solve this problem i updated my kernel using this repo

    Index of /repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard

  3. #3

    Default Re: Ralink Wifi rt3290 is not working on opensuse 13.

    Quote Originally Posted by khizar91 View Post
    just found the solution

    Thats was due to some kernel bug..

    But that bug is solved in kernel 3.12

    to solve this problem i updated my kernel using this repo

    Index of /repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard
    Hi

    I also have problems with rt3290, could you explain to me what you did to fix it, I'm new to the linux world.

    I really appreciate it

    Regards

  4. #4

    Default Re: Ralink Wifi rt3290 is not working on opensuse 13.

    floyola wrote:

    > I also have problems with rt3290, could you explain to me what you did
    > to fix it, I'm new to the linux world.
    >


    oS 13.1 gives me some strange issues with an rt3290 unit as well. Under
    12.3, the local AP (about 18" from the computer) connects and remains stable
    without issue regardless of the state of the ether-net port. Under 13.1,
    that same AP disappears after a short time IF the enter-net is also in use
    and the wireless is unavailable until after a re-boot. Given the proximity
    of the AP and the fact that it works with every other device in the house -
    plus the different performance under the older oS 12.3 - leads me to suspect
    that the network management system of 13.1 is "helping" me in some way.

    If you have dual network functionality, try disabling the wired port and see
    if that makes a difference. Here, as long as the wired port is disabled the
    rt3290 is rock solid but it wanders of quickly if I try to run the dual-
    homed mode. PITA when the wife is watching Netflix and hogging the ehter-
    net since the DSL modem has bandwidth to spare if I can use the wireless to
    get around the hub bottleneck!

    --
    Will Honea


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: Ralink Wifi rt3290 is not working on opensuse 13.

    On 01/11/2014 12:05 PM, Will Honea wrote:
    > floyola wrote:
    >
    >> I also have problems with rt3290, could you explain to me what you did
    >> to fix it, I'm new to the linux world.
    >>

    >
    > oS 13.1 gives me some strange issues with an rt3290 unit as well. Under
    > 12.3, the local AP (about 18" from the computer) connects and remains stable
    > without issue regardless of the state of the ether-net port. Under 13.1,
    > that same AP disappears after a short time IF the enter-net is also in use
    > and the wireless is unavailable until after a re-boot. Given the proximity
    > of the AP and the fact that it works with every other device in the house -
    > plus the different performance under the older oS 12.3 - leads me to suspect
    > that the network management system of 13.1 is "helping" me in some way.
    >
    > If you have dual network functionality, try disabling the wired port and see
    > if that makes a difference. Here, as long as the wired port is disabled the
    > rt3290 is rock solid but it wanders of quickly if I try to run the dual-
    > homed mode. PITA when the wife is watching Netflix and hogging the ehter-
    > net since the DSL modem has bandwidth to spare if I can use the wireless to
    > get around the hub bottleneck!


    I would expect the DSL line to be the bottleneck. I do not understand why
    wireless changes the situation when Netflix is being used.

    I don't have an rt3290 unit, but I see no problem of this type with 13.1 and my
    other wireless devices. Of course, I am not running a standard kernel. The
    previous problem with the rt3290 and 13.1 was fixed by installing a newer kernel.


  6. #6

    Default Re: Ralink Wifi rt3290 is not working on opensuse 13.

    Larry Finger wrote:

    > I don't have an rt3290 unit, but I see no problem of this type with 13.1
    > and my other wireless devices. Of course, I am not running a standard
    > kernel. The previous problem with the rt3290 and 13.1 was fixed by
    > installing a newer kernel.
    >


    I'm using the standard 13.1 kernel so that is the likely issue.

    The Linksys hub seems to be the problem with the ethernet - it sits between
    the DSL router and the rest of the network. Having a Netflix stream to her
    TV and something like a backup or a big database task between two other
    machines results in much slower internet access at the laptop. The router
    priorities seem to give a lot better speeds. That bypasses the internal
    network traffic and the wireless access is on the same priority as the rest
    of the network combined. It's also more convenient from the laptop that way
    ;-)

    --
    Will Honea


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: Ralink Wifi rt3290 is not working on opensuse 13.

    On 01/11/2014 03:27 PM, Will Honea wrote:
    >
    > I'm using the standard 13.1 kernel so that is the likely issue.
    >
    > The Linksys hub seems to be the problem with the ethernet - it sits between
    > the DSL router and the rest of the network. Having a Netflix stream to her
    > TV and something like a backup or a big database task between two other
    > machines results in much slower internet access at the laptop. The router
    > priorities seem to give a lot better speeds. That bypasses the internal
    > network traffic and the wireless access is on the same priority as the rest
    > of the network combined. It's also more convenient from the laptop that way


    That Linksys unit should have a switch, rather than a hub. Unless it is really
    old, it should be able to handle a full 100 Mbps from one port to another even
    with a TV stream from the WAN port to a 3rd ethernet port. A 1000 Mbps backup
    might interfere. What is the make/model of the Linksys?



  8. #8

    Default Re: Ralink Wifi rt3290 is not working on opensuse 13.

    Did the new Kernel also bring back to life the bluetooth? Or just the Wireless? With me (13.1/Kernel 3.11) The card always worked fine with the rt2800pci Kernel Module (sometimes i have to reload it manually, but just sometimes). Because i didn´t manage to get functioning the Bluetooth adapter of the ralink card…

  9. #9

    Default Re: Ralink Wifi rt3290 is not working on opensuse 13.

    Finally

    I solved the problem using this link
    http://kernel.opensuse.org/packages/stable

    Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard Kernel:stable
    Code:
    zypper in --from Kernel:stable kernel-desktop
    Regards.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Ralink Wifi rt3290 is not working on opensuse 13.

    Okay and does the bluetooth adapter also work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •