Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia driver

Default Nvidia driver

I am new to Opensuse but have several years of experience with Ubuntu and Mint. I want to install the correct nvidia driver for my graphics card. I plan to install opensuse 13.1.

I have an nvidia gtx 550 ti card. According to Nvidia, the correct driver is the 331.20 driver. Examining the Opensuse installation page, I note that my card is not a Geforce 8, 7 or 6 - and the card is 2 years old. However, I searched through the community general package search engine for nvidia drivers and found, that the nvidia-gfxG03 package is or includes the 331.20 driver. I thus hope, when the installation is available according to the instructions on the general nvidia installation page (one click or by adding the repository) that I can use the repository applicable to the nvidia-gfxGO3 package. Or, is there a reason that using what is intended for Geforce 8 will cause a problem? Alternatively, can I use (although nothing about this appears on the general page for installing nvidia drivers) the general one-click package installation page here to correctly install the driver? and, if so, will that cause any issues later when the kernel is updated, etc.?

Default Re: Nvidia driver

On 2013-11-28 14:56, nef131 wrote:

> instructions on the general nvidia installation page (one click or by
    > adding the repository) that I can use the repository applicable to the

The repository for 13.1 is not available yet, you have to wait.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    Thank you for your comment. I understood that the 13.1 repository is not yet ready.

My issue is that the correct driver for my legacy nvidia gtx 550 ti graphics card (i.e., the 331.20 driver) seems to be the driver that will be associated with the GeForce 8xxx series driver that, on the opensuse nvidia page, is shown as x11-video-nvidiaG03. My concern is about installing the correct driver, once I can install the correct repository.

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    Thank you but I am well aware that the 13.1 repository is not yet ready. That, unfortunately, is not my question.

My issue I have is that the correct driver for my legacy graphics card, the nvidia gtx 550 ti graphics card, is, according to Nvidia, the 331.20 driver; the 331.20 driver, however, seems to be the driver that will be associated with the GeForce 8xxx series repository (which is for the most recent graphics cards, not my legacy card) that, on the opensuse nvidia page, is shown as x11-video-nvidiaG03. So, my concern is actually about installing the correct driver repository, once I can install a repository for opensuse 13.1.

Quote Originally Posted by nef131 View Post
    My issue I have is that the correct driver for my legacy graphics card, the nvidia gtx 550 ti graphics card, is, according to Nvidia, the 331.20 driver; the 331.20 driver, however, seems to be the driver that will be associated with the GeForce 8xxx series repository (which is for the most recent graphics cards, not my legacy card) that, on the opensuse nvidia page, is shown as x11-video-nvidiaG03.
    Wrong.
    The GTX 550 Ti is _no_ legacy card. It is actually _much_ newer as the GeForce 8xxx series.
    So it _is_ supported by the G03 driver (or 331.20).

NVidia changed their model numbering scheme to 3 digits after the 9xxx series.
    So you actually have a GeForce 500 Series card, the G03 supports everything since the GeForce 8 series (i.e. GeForce 8xxx cards).

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Wrong.
    The GTX 550 Ti is _no_ legacy card. It is actually _much_ newer as the GeForce 8xxx series.
    So it _is_ supported by the G03 driver (or 331.20).

NVidia changed their model numbering scheme to 3 digits after the 9xxx series.
    So you actually have a GeForce 500 Series card, the G03 supports everything since the GeForce 8 series (i.e. GeForce 8xxx cards).
    Thank you. My reason for thinking GTX 550 Ti is a legacy card is that the Nvidia website lists it as a legacy card. I really appreciate that you confirmed that I am correct about using G03.

Thank you. My reason for thinking GTX 550 Ti is a legacy card is that the Nvidia website lists it as a legacy card. I really appreciate that you confirmed that I am correct about using G03.
    Ah, ok.
    Well, it's not brand new anymore of course...

But it is not legacy in the sense that would be only supported by the legacy driver (G02 and below).

Ah, ok.
    Well, it's not brand new anymore of course...

But it is not legacy in the sense that would be only supported by the legacy driver (G02 and below).
    Thanks for your help!!! I plan, as soon as the 13.1 driver repository is ready, to install opensuse 13.1. At this point, I have been trying it in virtualbox and really like it quite a lot.

Not to be one to criticize opensuse, but I think that this opensuse page, which is supposed to be dedicated to graphics drivers, would benefit greatly from a direct link that shows which graphics drivers are associated with which repository and with which one-click install. Seeing that a one click or repository is for GeForce 8xxx is not very helpful, given that, as you note, Nvidia has changed its designations - something unknown to most people. I had to poke all over the opensuse website to find any basic information about GO3, which I found only by accident. On this one point, my experience with ubuntu involved less poking around for what is, I would think, basic information that any new user would need.

Anyway, I do really appreciate your confirming my educated guess about GO3.

One last question. If I use the 1-click or easy repository method, do I also have to do anything like blacklisting the nouveau driver or adding some user to a group or something of the sort, etc., etc.?

Seeing that a one click or repository is for GeForce 8xxx is not very helpful, given that, as you note, Nvidia has changed its designations - something unknown to most people.
    Well, I just had a look. It actually says this now:
    For all NVIDIA current cards (GeForce 8 and later, but excluding all cards with Optimus technology, for this technology see bumblebee project, in particular its version 3), click here:
    Although I do remember it listing GeForce 8xxx some time ago...

One last question. If I use the 1-click or easy repository method, do I also have to do anything like blacklisting the nouveau driver or adding some user to a group or something of the sort, etc., etc.?
    No. Just install the driver RPMs and it should work, they take care of everything necessary.

Personally I would just add the nVidia repo in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repositories, and then install the driver with YaST->Software Management (this should actually automatically preselect the correct driver for installation when you enter it).
    You need the 3 packages x11-video-nvidiaG03, nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop (or -default if you use kernel-default) and nvidia-computeG03 (the latter two should be selected automatically if you mark the first one for installation).

Well, I just had a look. It actually says this now:

Although I do remember it listing GeForce 8xxx some time ago...

No. Just install the driver RPMs and it should work, they take care of everything necessary.

Personally I would just add the nVidia repo in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repositories, and then install the driver with YaST->Software Management (this should actually automatically preselect the correct driver for installation when you enter it).
    You need the 3 packages x11-video-nvidiaG03, nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop (or -default if you use kernel-default) and nvidia-computeG03 (the latter two should be selected automatically if you mark the first one for installation).
    Thanks!!! You have been incredibly helpful.

One point, regarding your comment that "For all NVIDIA current cards (GeForce 8 and later, but excluding all cards with Optimus technology, for this technology see bumblebee project, in particular its version 3), click here:," you will not find what drivers the G03, G02, etc. are designed to install. So, you need to know, so far as I could tell, that GeForce 8 and later does, in fact, contain driver 331.20, which, to me, is the most important information that ought to be provided without having to do much homework. After all, you can find, from querying the computer, what card is installed and, from Nvidia, what Nvidia driver relates to that card painlessly. However, knowing, for example, that G03 relates to driver 331.20 is not, so far as I can tell, readily accessible. the same for knowing what GeForce 8 and later really means, when Nvidia no longer uses that type of designation. It is really very confusing. Obviously, the information can be ascertained, but it requires work where none ought to be necessary. And, when the work is done, if you are new to Opensuse, you are not really sure you have the information correct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast