Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: After installing some dependencies, yast will no longer launch

  1. #1

    Default After installing some dependencies, yast will no longer launch

    I am using the newest opensuse install (13.1 I believe), fresh install off new HD with the ldxe gui.

    I need to install automake and a few other deps to install the geda suite, and I installed them directly from the yast interface. However, right after the install from yast, I am no longer able to open the yast interface either from a xterm or launching any yast app from the gui interface.

    For example, if I ssh into the box and type in yast, the command promp does nothing, no error messages, and just returns to the command prompt without loading the yast interface. I can of course just wipe the HD and reinstall linux fresh but I'm hoping to avoid that and instead find out what is going on. Im not sure if this is relevant but here are the contents of /var/log/YaST2/y2log:

    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2] genericfrontend.cc(main):575 Launched YaST2 component 'y2base' 'menu' 'ncurses'
    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [ui-component] YUIComponentCreator.cc(createInternal):124 Creating UI component for ""
    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2] genericfrontend.cc(main):764 YAST_IS_RUNNING is yes
    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <3> compsrv1(3671) [Y2Ruby] binary/YRuby.cc(callClient):238 cannot require yast:cannot load such file -- fast_gettext at /usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require'
    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2] genericfrontend.cc(main):778 Finished YaST2 component 'y2base'
    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2] genericfrontend.cc(main):783 Exiting with client return value 'false'

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: After installing some dependencies, yast will no longer launch

    fusion9161 wrote:
    >
    > I am using the newest opensuse install (13.1 I believe), fresh install
    > off new HD with the ldxe gui.
    >
    > I need to install automake and a few other deps to install the geda
    > suite, and I installed them directly from the yast interface. However,
    > right after the install from yast, I am no longer able to open the yast
    > interface either from a xterm or launching any yast app from the gui
    > interface.
    >
    > For example, if I ssh into the box and type in yast, the command promp
    > does nothing, no error messages, and just returns to the command prompt
    > without loading the yast interface. I can of course just wipe the HD and
    > reinstall linux fresh but I'm hoping to avoid that and instead find out
    > what is going on. Im not sure if this is relevant but here are the
    > contents of /var/log/YaST2/y2log:
    >
    > 2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2]
    > genericfrontend.cc(main):575 Launched YaST2 component 'y2base' 'menu'
    > 'ncurses'
    > 2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [ui-component]
    > YUIComponentCreator.cc(createInternal):124 Creating UI component for ""
    > 2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2]
    > genericfrontend.cc(main):764 YAST_IS_RUNNING is yes
    > 2013-11-28 03:33:27 <3> compsrv1(3671) [Y2Ruby]
    > binary/YRuby.cc(callClient):238 cannot require yast:cannot load such
    > file -- fast_gettext at
    > /usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require'
    > 2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2]
    > genericfrontend.cc(main):778 Finished YaST2 component 'y2base'
    > 2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2]
    > genericfrontend.cc(main):783 Exiting with client return value 'false'
    >
    >


    if zypper works then disable all other repos except 4 repos
    (oss,nonoss,update,non-oss update) and do a, zypper dup to restore openSUSE

    List repos using zypper lr -d

    Note down the repos numbers and disable repos using

    zypper mr --disable 1 2 3

    where 1,2,3 are repos nmumbers

    --
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: After installing some dependencies, yast will no longer launch

    Quote Originally Posted by fusion9161 View Post
    I am using the newest opensuse install (13.1 I believe), fresh install off new HD with the ldxe gui.

    I need to install automake and a few other deps to install the geda suite, and I installed them directly from the yast interface. However, right after the install from yast, I am no longer able to open the yast interface either from a xterm or launching any yast app from the gui interface.

    For example, if I ssh into the box and type in yast, the command promp does nothing, no error messages, and just returns to the command prompt without loading the yast interface. I can of course just wipe the HD and reinstall linux fresh but I'm hoping to avoid that and instead find out what is going on. Im not sure if this is relevant but here are the contents of /var/log/YaST2/y2log:

    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2] genericfrontend.cc(main):575 Launched YaST2 component 'y2base' 'menu' 'ncurses'
    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [ui-component] YUIComponentCreator.cc(createInternal):124 Creating UI component for ""
    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2] genericfrontend.cc(main):764 YAST_IS_RUNNING is yes
    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <3> compsrv1(3671) [Y2Ruby] binary/YRuby.cc(callClient):238 cannot require yast:cannot load such file -- fast_gettext at /usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require'
    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2] genericfrontend.cc(main):778 Finished YaST2 component 'y2base'
    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2] genericfrontend.cc(main):783 Exiting with client return value 'false'
    You could open up a terminal session, run the following command:

    Code:
    zypper repos -u
    Post the output of this command inside code # tags. I had this occur in openSUSE 12.2 once as I recall.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  4. #4

    Default Re: After installing some dependencies, yast will no longer launch

    Quote Originally Posted by fusion9161 View Post
    2013-11-28 03:33:27 <3> compsrv1(3671) [Y2Ruby] binary/YRuby.cc(callClient):238 cannot require yast:cannot load such file -- fast_gettext at /usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require'
    Try to (re-)install rubygems-fast_gettext:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -f rubygems-fast_gettext

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: After installing some dependencies, yast will no longer launch

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Try to (re-)install rubygems-fast_gettext:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -f rubygems-fast_gettext
    So you have a guess as to what is wrong here? What is "rubygems-fast_gettext"?

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  6. #6

    Default Re: After installing some dependencies, yast will no longer launch

    Great that worked perfect. Thanks!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    fusion9161 wrote:
    >
    > I am using the newest opensuse install (13.1 I believe), fresh install
    > off new HD with the ldxe gui.
    >
    > I need to install automake and a few other deps to install the geda
    > suite, and I installed them directly from the yast interface. However,
    > right after the install from yast, I am no longer able to open the yast
    > interface either from a xterm or launching any yast app from the gui
    > interface.
    >
    > For example, if I ssh into the box and type in yast, the command promp
    > does nothing, no error messages, and just returns to the command prompt
    > without loading the yast interface. I can of course just wipe the HD and
    > reinstall linux fresh but I'm hoping to avoid that and instead find out
    > what is going on. Im not sure if this is relevant but here are the
    > contents of /var/log/YaST2/y2log:
    >
    > 2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2]
    > genericfrontend.cc(main):575 Launched YaST2 component 'y2base' 'menu'
    > 'ncurses'
    > 2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [ui-component]
    > YUIComponentCreator.cc(createInternal):124 Creating UI component for ""
    > 2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2]
    > genericfrontend.cc(main):764 YAST_IS_RUNNING is yes
    > 2013-11-28 03:33:27 <3> compsrv1(3671) [Y2Ruby]
    > binary/YRuby.cc(callClient):238 cannot require yast:cannot load such
    > file -- fast_gettext at
    > /usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require'
    > 2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2]
    > genericfrontend.cc(main):778 Finished YaST2 component 'y2base'
    > 2013-11-28 03:33:27 <1> compsrv1(3671) [liby2]
    > genericfrontend.cc(main):783 Exiting with client return value 'false'
    >
    >


    if zypper works then disable all other repos except 4 repos
    (oss,nonoss,update,non-oss update) and do a, zypper dup to restore openSUSE

    List repos using zypper lr -d

    Note down the repos numbers and disable repos using

    zypper mr --disable 1 2 3

    where 1,2,3 are repos nmumbers

    --
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop

  7. #7

    Default Re: After installing some dependencies, yast will no longer launch

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So you have a guess as to what is wrong here? What is "rubygems-fast_gettext"?
    It's a ruby package that YaST uses/needs. (YaST has been "translated" from YCP to ruby for 13.1 as you may know)
    Something like a library.
    Code:
    Description :A simple, fast, memory-efficient and threadsafe implementation of GetText
    https://github.com/grosser/fast_gettext

    I have no idea though what's wrong there. Maybe some file of this package got corrupted/removed?
    Maybe an incompatible version from a non-standard repo was installed?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •