Thread: DAAP-SERVER in openSUSE 13.1

Default DAAP-SERVER in openSUSE 13.1

I want to be able to share my music using a DAAP-server. However, the usual suspects all seem to be missing or not working (forked-daapd, tangerine). What are some other alternatives? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: DAAP-SERVER in openSUSE 13.1

Quote Originally Posted by lakerssuperman View Post
    I want to be able to share my music using a DAAP-server. However, the usual suspects all seem to be missing or not working (forked-daapd, tangerine). What are some other alternatives? Thanks.
    Well I have no idea what you mean. Do you have a local network at home with more than one PC? Are you trying to share over the Internet? Are you trying to share at work?

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: DAAP-SERVER in openSUSE 13.1

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Well I have no idea what you mean. Do you have a local network at home with more than one PC? Are you trying to share over the Internet? Are you trying to share at work?

Thank You,
    Like those other programs are used for, I want to share my music using the DAAP protocol over my local network. On Ubuntu I had the option of using forked-daapd (formely mt-daapd or Firefly Media Server) or Tangerine to do the sharing, but forked-daapd isn't available and Tangerine crashes. Mt-daapd is in the repos, but isn't updated for 12.3 or 13.1. I was wondering if anyone knew of an alternative (that is maintained) to those programs that I am overlooking. There are some others that I've looked at, but most aren't maintained and thus aren't a long term viable option. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: DAAP-SERVER in openSUSE 13.1

Quote Originally Posted by lakerssuperman View Post
    Like those other programs are used for, I want to share my music using the DAAP protocol over my local network. On Ubuntu I had the option of using forked-daapd (formely mt-daapd or Firefly Media Server) or Tangerine to do the sharing, but forked-daapd isn't available and Tangerine crashes. Mt-daapd is in the repos, but isn't updated for 12.3 or 13.1. I was wondering if anyone knew of an alternative (that is maintained) to those programs that I am overlooking. There are some others that I've looked at, but most aren't maintained and thus aren't a long term viable option. Thanks.
    OK, I use Samba and a workgroup to share files. There are many methods, but this is what I use:

S.A.C.T. - Samba Automated Configuration Tool - Version 1.06 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

This is a bash script that handles ALL aspects concerning Samba setup. Please read through the entire blog.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: DAAP-SERVER in openSUSE 13.1

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually already have Samba and NFS running, but I want to also have DAAP running because I can link it into my fiance's iTunes and Android phone without her having to worry about anything being mounted, it simply appears as another component in her library. I'll investigate further and see what I come up with. Thanks. Have a great night.