Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Back Up Your Drive before installing 13.1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Back Up Your Drive before installing 13.1

    Although this is obvious to many long-time computer users, there are still many who skip this phase, and many newbies who do not take it seriously enough.

    I see that several of the problems here could have been avoided by dutifully performing this step.

    I suggest that someone keep bumping this advice to the top now & then so that users will be more likely to pay heed.

    It is much nicer than giving Shoulda-Woulda-Couldas after the fact.

    Make Sure You Perform Full Backups of Your HD and have Reliable Backups (I usually suggest 3, one that does not work, one for the Ooops!, and a 3rd to recover with. ) before you attempt an install of OpenSUSE 13.1

    Not trying to be critical of anyone, just trying to save some of the next users to attempt an install from suffering severe panic and frustration.

    -fb

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Back Up Your Drive before installing 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Although this is obvious to many long-time computer users, there are still many who skip this phase, and many newbies who do not take it seriously enough.

    I see that several of the problems here could have been avoided by dutifully performing this step.

    I suggest that someone keep bumping this advice to the top now & then so that users will be more likely to pay heed.

    It is much nicer than giving Shoulda-Woulda-Couldas after the fact.

    Make Sure You Perform Full Backups of Your HD and have Reliable Backups (I usually suggest 3, one that does not work, one for the Ooops!, and a 3rd to recover with. ) before you attempt an install of OpenSUSE 13.1

    Not trying to be critical of anyone, just trying to save some of the next users to attempt an install from suffering severe panic and frustration.

    -fb
    This is an absolute great suggestion! It is my opinion, the number one install problem is hard disk partitioning problems and user error, what you need to do and if it goes wrong, you will need that backup. Of course, video problems and trying to deal with dual boot with Windows and and GPT disk formats. Besides doing a backup, you should make every effort to understand your hard disk setup and just where you intend on installing openSUSE 13.1.

    Lots of hard questions need answers before you let that install proceedure.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: Back Up Your Drive before installing 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    This is an absolute great suggestion! It is my opinion, the number one install problem is hard disk partitioning problems and user error, what you need to do and if it goes wrong, you will need that backup. Of course, video problems and trying to deal with dual boot with Windows and and GPT disk formats. Besides doing a backup, you should make every effort to understand your hard disk setup and just where you intend on installing openSUSE 13.1.

    Lots of hard questions need answers before you let that install proceedure.

    Thank You,
    Perhaps, along with your sage advice you tacked on, this would make a good sticky?

    -fb

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Back Up Your Drive before installing 13.1

    On 2013-11-27 23:56, Fraser Bell wrote:
    > Make Sure You Perform Full Backups of Your HD and have Reliable
    > Backups (-I usually suggest 3, one that does not work, one for the
    > Ooops!, and a 3rd to recover with.- ) before you
    > attempt an install of OpenSUSE 13.1


    Rather, before you install _any_ operating system :-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Noo York
    Posts
    110

    Default Re: Back Up Your Drive before installing 13.1

    Yeah see my sig, I upped 2 systems to 13.1 with no problems, glad I had the backups just in case.
    Linux since 2008

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: Back Up Your Drive before installing 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-11-27 23:56, Fraser Bell wrote:
    > Make Sure You Perform Full Backups of Your HD and have Reliable
    > Backups (-I usually suggest 3, one that does not work, one for the
    > Ooops!, and a 3rd to recover with.- ) before you
    > attempt an install of OpenSUSE 13.1


    Rather, before you install _any_ operating system :-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)



    ... heh. That's actually what I meant to imply, of course, but I wanted to especially target 13.1 newcomers. I did not mean to leave the inference that 13.1 is so bad that ...

    Thanks for clarifying for all.

    (BTW: If you backup with Clonezilla, and your boot is from an extended partition, your machine likely won't boot after a full restore, because somehow Clonezilla loses that boot sector. You will need to fix it by re-installing Grub & boot sector)

    -fb

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: Back Up Your Drive before installing 13.1

    On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 23:56:01 +0000, rdonnelly2001 wrote:

    > Yeah see my sig, I upped 2 systems to 13.1 with no problems, glad I
    > had the backups just in case.


    Yep. Backups are like snow tires (if you happen to live in a place where
    snow happens) - you hope you don't need them, but if you do, you're glad
    you've got 'em.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Back Up Your Drive before installing 13.1

    On 2013-11-28 01:36, Fraser Bell wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2602911 Wrote:



    > ... heh. That's actually what I meant to imply, of course, but I wanted
    > to especially target 13.1 newcomers. I did not mean to leave the
    > inference that 13.1 is so bad that ...


    Even for installing Windows you should make a backup ;-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,677
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Back Up Your Drive before installing 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Make Sure You Perform Full Backups of Your HD and have Reliable Backups (I usually suggest 3, one that does not work, one for the Ooops!, and a 3rd to recover with. ) before you attempt an install of OpenSUSE 13.1
    I didn't.

    I have recent backups of "/home". I never backup the root file system. I can always reinstall that.

    Since I reused my "/home" partition, I did not need to use any of my recent backups.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Back Up Your Drive before installing 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I didn't.

    I have recent backups of "/home". I never backup the root file system. I can always reinstall that.

    Since I reused my "/home" partition, I did not need to use any of my recent backups.
    The need to backup depends on your abilities and this is my generic thoughts on the subject :

    1. Do you have your important files in more than one place? I do.

    2. How confident are you in doing a new installation of openSUSE 13.1 and not messing up the installation?

    3. How complex is your disk Partition setup? I am dual booting with Windows and elected to use mbr formatted



    4. I gave my mbr partition setup a lot of thought before hand. See my setup above using gparted ...

    5. So, what will you do? You can not put too much thought into it as far asI am concerned.

    Good Luck ....

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •