Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Cannot connect Android phone, MTP support not working in 13.1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    12

    Default Cannot connect Android phone, MTP support not working in 13.1

    I'm considering moving from Xubuntu to openSUSE. So far, I love this OS, really nice! I just can't seem to get MTP working no matter what I do. I have installed:
    Code:
    whitebox:/home/scottbomb # zypper se -i mtp
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    
    S | Name      | Summary                                         | Type   
    --+-----------+-------------------------------------------------+--------
    i | go-mtpfs  | Mount MTP devices over FUSE                     | package
    i | kio_mtp   | Access MTP devices in KDE                       | package
    i | libesmtp  | A Library for Posting Electronic Mail           | package
    i | libmtp9   | Library for accessing MTP Players               | package
    i | mtp-tools | Commandline utilities for access to MTP Players | package
    i | mtpfs     | FUSE filesystem that supports MTP devices       | package
    Yet it still won't mount. This is what Dolphin gives:
    Code:
     An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/fd0 at /run/media/scottbomb/disk: Command-line `mount -t "auto" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/fd0" "/run/media/scottbomb/disk"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
    This is a deal-breaker as I do connect my phone and transfer files daily. Can anyone suggest a real fix?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,704
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cannot connect Android phone, MTP support not working in 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by scottbomb View Post
    I'm considering moving from Xubuntu to openSUSE. So far, I love this OS, really nice! I just can't seem to get MTP working no matter what I do. I have installed:
    Code:
    whitebox:/home/scottbomb # zypper se -i mtp
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    
    S | Name      | Summary                                         | Type   
    --+-----------+-------------------------------------------------+--------
    i | go-mtpfs  | Mount MTP devices over FUSE                     | package
    i | kio_mtp   | Access MTP devices in KDE                       | package
    i | libesmtp  | A Library for Posting Electronic Mail           | package
    i | libmtp9   | Library for accessing MTP Players               | package
    i | mtp-tools | Commandline utilities for access to MTP Players | package
    i | mtpfs     | FUSE filesystem that supports MTP devices       | package
    Yet it still won't mount. This is what Dolphin gives:
    Code:
     An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/fd0 at /run/media/scottbomb/disk: Command-line `mount -t "auto" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/fd0" "/run/media/scottbomb/disk"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
    This is a deal-breaker as I do connect my phone and transfer files daily. Can anyone suggest a real fix?
    MTP devices do not behave as block devices, so do not get mounted as such. However, KDE has kio-mtp which is supposed to provide file access for MTP devices that makes such a device appear as if it is mounted. There are a lot of threads and bug reports around that suggest that it is not working for some hardware, so you might want to search online first. BTW, the device node (/dev/fd0) is usually associated with floppy disk hardware, so I'm not sure why that message is being reported. In any case, it might pay to examine the kernel messages reported upon attaching your phone
    Code:
    sudo failf /var/log/messages
    Maybe that will yield some useful info.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,704
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cannot connect Android phone, MTP support not working in 13.1

    If you wish to experiment with this a little further, the following Arch Wiki page is a good place to start

    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MTP

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Cannot connect Android phone, MTP support not working in 13.1

    Here's what I get for tail /var/log/messages:

    Code:
    2013-11-27T16:15:32.648550-06:00 whitebox kernel: [ 4042.909034] usb 2-5: device descriptor read/64, error -62
    2013-11-27T16:15:32.913569-06:00 whitebox kernel: [ 4043.174046] usb 2-5: device descriptor read/64, error -62
    2013-11-27T16:15:33.171575-06:00 whitebox kernel: [ 4043.432057] usb 2-5: new full-speed USB device number 12 using ohci-pci
    2013-11-27T16:15:33.335564-06:00 whitebox kernel: [ 4043.596053] usb 2-5: device descriptor read/64, error -62
    2013-11-27T16:15:33.600565-06:00 whitebox kernel: [ 4043.861046] usb 2-5: device descriptor read/64, error -62
    2013-11-27T16:15:33.858581-06:00 whitebox kernel: [ 4044.119061] usb 2-5: new full-speed USB device number 13 using ohci-pci
    2013-11-27T16:15:34.262565-06:00 whitebox kernel: [ 4044.523037] usb 2-5: device not accepting address 13, error -62
    2013-11-27T16:15:34.419563-06:00 whitebox kernel: [ 4044.680047] usb 2-5: new full-speed USB device number 14 using ohci-pci
    2013-11-27T16:15:34.823589-06:00 whitebox kernel: [ 4045.084048] usb 2-5: device not accepting address 14, error -62
    2013-11-27T16:15:34.823627-06:00 whitebox kernel: [ 4045.084083] hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 5
    Running lsusb ... not even detected. However, it is charging. Strange. I'll check out the Arch page too and post any results if I can get it to work.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,704
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cannot connect Android phone, MTP support not working in 13.1

    Are you using old hardware? (Full speed communication usually associated with USB1 hardware.)
    Code:
    2013-11-27T16:15:33.171575-06:00 whitebox kernel: [ 4043.432057] usb 2-5: new full-speed USB device number 12 using ohci-pci
    Without wishing to confuse, I have read that USB hubs (inside computer) use a transaction translator to determine OHCI and EHCI connected devices - usually one for each port, but sometimes one shared for all ports on the internal hub. When the latter is the case, one USB 1 device connected is enough to force all ports to the lower speed. Anyway, USB 2 is far more common, so I had to ask...you can use 'lsusb' to report your USB hardware

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,704
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cannot connect Android phone, MTP support not working in 13.1

    Running lsusb ... not even detected. However, it is charging. Strange. I'll check out the Arch page too and post any results if I can get it to work.
    No, I don't think you'll succeed until you get the USB communication sorted... do other USB devices report and work ok?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Cannot connect Android phone, MTP support not working in 13.1

    On 2013-11-28 00:26, deano ferrari wrote:
    >
    >> Running lsusb ... not even detected. However, it is charging. Strange.
    >> I'll check out the Arch page too and post any results if I can get it to
    >> work.

    > No, I don't think you'll succeed until you get the USB communication
    > sorted... do other USB devices report and work ok?


    Weird. My Android phone connects to the computer without MTP, as a disk.
    Two disks actually, one for the memory card, another for the internal
    space. I have to tell the phone that I want to connect, though. It is a
    Samsung.

    I can also connect using bluetooth, but that fails a lot.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Cannot connect Android phone, MTP support not working in 13.1

    The mouse is USB and it's detected. I plugged in a joystick and it was also detected. From lsusb:

    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c05a Logitech, Inc. M90/M100 Optical Mouse
    Bus 002 Device 027: ID 046d:c215 Logitech, Inc. Extreme 3D Pro
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    I unplugged the USB hub and plugged in the phone. Still nothing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Cannot connect Android phone, MTP support not working in 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-11-28 00:26, deano ferrari wrote:
    Weird. My Android phone connects to the computer without MTP, as a disk.
    Two disks actually, one for the memory card, another for the internal
    space. I have to tell the phone that I want to connect, though. It is a
    Samsung.
    It used to connect as a disk, until Google screwed that up a few months ago with an "update". I believe it was with the Jellybean release.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,704
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cannot connect Android phone, MTP support not working in 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-11-28 00:26, deano ferrari wrote:
    >
    >> Running lsusb ... not even detected. However, it is charging. Strange.
    >> I'll check out the Arch page too and post any results if I can get it to
    >> work.

    > No, I don't think you'll succeed until you get the USB communication
    > sorted... do other USB devices report and work ok?


    Weird. My Android phone connects to the computer without MTP, as a disk.
    Two disks actually, one for the memory card, another for the internal
    space. I have to tell the phone that I want to connect, though. It is a
    Samsung.

    I can also connect using bluetooth, but that fails a lot.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)
    Yes, I think some Android devices offer block storage access and some only provide MTP communication. Lots of threads about that, but the OP explicitly mentioned MTP connectivity...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •