Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I promote openSUSE 13.1 64 bit to be an AD Domain controller?

Default How can I promote openSUSE 13.1 64 bit to be an AD Domain controller?

How can I promote openSUSE 13.1 64 bit to be an AD Domain controller?, I can see in yast that I have installed the samba version 4.1.0-3.5.1, but if I check the samba version with the command samba -V I get the error that 'samba' is not a typo, the same for the command samba-tool domain provision -- interactive

thanks

Blog Entries

Smile Re: How can I promote openSUSE 13.1 64 bit to be an AD Domain controller?

Quote Originally Posted by Easgs View Post
    How can I promote openSUSE 13.1 64 bit to be an AD Domain controller?, I can see in yast that I have installed the samba version 4.1.0-3.5.1, but if I check the samba version with the command samba -V I get the error that 'samba' is not a typo, the same for the command samba-tool domain provision -- interactive

thanks
    Why use AD? I have found no need for this unless you are using this at work. For all things Samba and a Workgroup please look here:

S.A.C.T. - Samba Automated Configuration Tool - Version 1.06 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: How can I promote openSUSE 13.1 64 bit to be an AD Domain controller?

I require AD Domain controller for a test enviroment before implementation for a network that requieres group policies and other AD functions, and since samba 4.1 includes now support for AD I think it is time to take advantage of this in openSUSE.

Default Re: How can I promote openSUSE 13.1 64 bit to be an AD Domain controller?

On 11/27/2013 10:16 AM, Easgs wrote:
    >
    > I require AD Domain controller for a test enviroment before
    > implementation for a network that requieres group policies and other AD
    > functions, and since samba 4.1 includes now support for AD I think it is
    > time to take advantage of this in openSUSE.
    >
    >

Easgs;

Are you familiar with this document?

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO

--
    P.V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you" Red Green

Blog Entries

A big question when you setup a Domain Controller is whether you are setting up the first DC in the Domain or if it's an additional.

The latter should be nearly trivial (I've read the documentation although haven't yet had the opportunity to do it).
    Generally speaking you only need to promote to the DC role and configure AD to replicate to it.
    I haven't checked for YAST support for configuring the SAMBA role so can't comment on that, but there should be plenty of documentation for doing it from CLI.

If an AD already exists, I highly recommend doing that... Then if you wish you can remove your SAMBA DC from the network.
    That way, you import all the AD objects (which is more extensive than simply building LDAP from scratch) including existing User and Machine accounts.
    Once separated from your original network and if you want to experiment in a standalone environment, you can promote your SAMBA DC again to be authoritative for your Domain.

TSU

Are you familiar with this document?

Samba AD DC HOWTO - SambaWiki
    yes I am, I have done that sucessfully in opensuse 12.3 64 bit, but since 13.1 already includes the installation packages I want to know how can I use those instead of having to compile and install from source, because the tipical promotion command
    Code:
    samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --interactive
    and even the
    Code:
    samba -V
    command doesn't work

this will be configured as a single domain controller

On 11/28/2013 7:16 PM, Easgs wrote:
    >
    >> Are you familiar with this document?
    >>
    >> 'Samba AD DC HOWTO - SambaWiki'
    >> (http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO)

>
    > yes I am, I have done that sucessfully in opensuse 12.3 64 bit, but
    > since 13.1 already includes the installation packages I want to know how
    > can I use those instead of having to compile and install from source,
    > because the tipical promotion command
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --interactive
    > --------------------
    > and even the
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > samba -V
    > --------------------
    > command doesn't work
    >
    > this will be configured as a single domain controller
    >
    >

Easgs;

I'm not using openSUSE 13.1 and am not sure just how the packaging was done. There are now two Samba daemons, smb(d)
    gives old Samba3 compatibility and samba gives AD compatibility. The samba daemon should be in /usr/local/samba which is
    most likely not in a users path. Did you check "samba -V" with the full path? Did you check that "samba" (not just
    smb) is actually installed and started?
    --
    P.V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you" Red Green

The samba daemon should be in /usr/local/samba which is
    most likely not in a users path.
    that rute does not exist in the file system

Default AW: How can I promote openSUSE 13.1 64 bit to be an AD Domain controller?

Relase Notes for 13.1:
    5.3. Samba Version 4.1

Samba version 4.1 shipped with openSUSE 13.1 does not include support to operate as an Active Directory style domain controller. This functionality is currently disabled, as it lacks integration with system-wide MIT Kerberos.

The release notes which were downloaded and displayed on screen during installation of 13.1 (in the last 24 hrs) included a note that the Samba 4.1 packages in this release do not include AD functionality, due to a conflict with MIT Kerberos (?) - or words to that effect. But the (official?) release notes here don't mention it!

I also can't find any of the necessary tools in my Samba installation, and would like to know whether running an AD domain is possible under 13.1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast