Thread: Can't change screen brightness

Default Can't change screen brightness

Hi,

I have a Dell Vostro 3700 and I'm running opensuse 12.3 (with Gnome). I am unable to edit the brightness settings. I tried solutions I found on the net but none of them work so far. Pressing Fn+Up/Down shows an icon but the brightness doesn't change. Using the "System Settings" menu doesn't have any effect neither. I also tried the solutions of this thread ( http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...on-7520-a.html ) and a few others without any luck.
    I also installed xbacklight but it didn't work. Editing /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness and /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness didn't work neither

Can anyone please help me?
    Thanks

Default Re: Can't change screen brightness

The solution described here didn't work neither : Solution for Screen Brightness on Linux Mint

Hi.

I'm experiencing the same problem as well. I can only change it on power settings.

If you don't need to change it that often you can just use that, does it work for you ?

Quote Originally Posted by andrecmoi View Post
    Hi,

I have a Dell Vostro 3700 and I'm running opensuse 12.3 (with Gnome). I am unable to edit the brightness settings. I tried solutions I found on the net but none of them work so far. Pressing Fn+Up/Down shows an icon but the brightness doesn't change. Using the "System Settings" menu doesn't have any effect neither. I also tried the solutions of this thread ( http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...on-7520-a.html ) and a few others without any luck.
    I also installed xbacklight but it didn't work. Editing /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness and /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness didn't work neither

Can anyone please help me?
    Thanks
    What's the graphic card?
    And the kernel version?

I have the same can't adjust it by key Fn+F2 F3 on a HP
    Worked in 12.3
    But not in 13.1
    Probably has to do with the xmodmap
    when i press those keys I have an error it says setkeycodes e02b |yourkeycode| to make it known

I did not set it yet but one of you might figure it.
    eventhough in 12.3 I had the same messages but the keys worked
    worth a try, no?