Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New user (hopefully) - Linux noob, trying to install, partition problem

Default New user (hopefully) - Linux noob, trying to install, partition problem

Going through setup prior to install, I get an error message "No automatic proposal possible. Specify mount points manually on the "Partitions" dialogue".

I'm putting it on my old laptop, which currently has Bodhi Linux on it. I'd wanted to overwrite the system and make the laptop 100% openSUSE. I'm not extremely versed in partitioning and was expecting the installer to handle this when I told it it was free to take the whole disk.

Hoping for advice or instructions as I haven't found them online yet.

Default Re: New user (hopefully) - Linux noob, trying to install, partition problem

I found some documentation, but as a new user, I'm confused. I'm at a screen called Expert partitioner (which I'm not) Under Hard Disks is sda, then sda 1 sda 2 and sda5.

sda1 is 147.11 GB with Ext4 filesystem. Mount point is blank.
    sda2 is 1.94GB, no filesystem or mount point. This might be the system itself, and if I remember, should be larger, perhaps 20GB?
    sda5 is 1.93 and I'd guess is for swap, so is the correct size. I think.

The doc I found is for a system that appears different, so before proceding I'd love some feedback. I'd really hoped this would be handled automatically. Here's the drive, use it as you will. No such luck.

Install aborted until the calvary arrives.

Default Re: New user (hopefully) - Linux noob, trying to install, partition problem

This is not a busy forum. My main confusion now is what size each partition should be. The laptop has a paltry 160 GB drive. I'd thought 1.9 GB for swap (equal to memory), 25 for root, and the rest for home. But online research is confusing. Some say root should take up the majority of the drive, with only a few GB for home. I believe home is for storing data, and I thought I'd have more in the way of pictures, music, downloads, etc. than the 5 GB another site mentioned.

Anyone?

root need only be about 20 gig unless you have special needs.

Swap at 2 gig is ok

rest for home that is where your personal stuff goes

Is the a UEFI BIOS machine? if not partition 5 is usually an extended partition which is made to hold logical partition getting around the 4 partition limit of MBR based drives

Generally the installer default partitioning will be OK If you start with a blank drive or if you have left free space to install to.

Blog Entries

Remove the partitions and create them as below.
    1. 2GB swap, mounted as swap (this will be sda1)
    2. 20 GB ext4, mounted on "/" (this will be sda2)
    3 the rest max. size ext4, mounted on "/home" (this will be sda3)
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Thanks for the help! I'll get right on it. gogalthorp, the installer offered nothing, perhaps because that computer is running Bodhi Linux. I just wanted a more advanced distro. (And with more headaches - er, learning experiences!)

You have no free space so you have to tell it what to do. If you have any files you need back them up then just have the installer delete the exiting and create new partitions. If you have a running Linux then at a prompt type fdisk - l (that is lower case L not a one) and show use the output. It is weird that you have a extended partition with nothing in it (sda5)

Installing now, following the instructions I found online and the sizes Knurpht recommended. Thanks to both of you for the help.

This is different forum software than I've seen; edit window is ten minutes. Is there a way to mark it <SOLVED>?

Default Re: New user (hopefully) - Linux noob, trying to install, partitionproblem

On 2013-11-26 19:26, chroma601 wrote:

> Hoping for advice or instructions as I haven't found them online yet.

On the screen following the language prompt, disable "use automatic
    configuration". Mode should be "new install". After few screens more,
    you get to the "suggested partitioning" screen. Select "create partition
    setup". Select the disk if there are more than one, then you get to
    another screen with a button labelled "use entire hard disk". Press it,
    then next.

If you don't like the proposal, then choose "edit partition setup"

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

No threads are never closed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast