Browsers do not work with new 13.1 installation

I recently installed opensuse 13.1 (x86_64) on my desktop dual-boot with Ubuntu 13.1 (AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+ with 2.0 gig of memory). I am able to access the internet and download updates but I cannot get firefox or Konqueror to work. Both apps hang while connecting.

Thanks for any suggestions as to how to fix this.

Is your user in each system sharing the same home directory? Perhaps the
Firefox configuration data are not compatible. If that’s the case, maybe
launching with another profile can help:

Code:

firefox -P testProfile

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

Firefox and Konqueror are both doing great here. I’ve had konqueror up for 30 hours without crashing, and that’s a pleasant change.

I get the following response: GLib-CRITICAL ‘’: g_slice_set_config: assertion ‘sys_page_size = 0’ failed Error: no display specified

Firefox - Choose User Profile window opens with a default user, but the window is non-responsive to mouse clicks. Running firefox from the Konsole produces the same error msg with the browser hung and non responsive.

I also have the same problem. Firefox and Thunderbird unusable, running from console gives this message: GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion ‘sys_page_size == 0’ failed.

Similar issue found here https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=833117.

I got new error message this time:

(process:7122): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(firefox:7122): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(firefox:7122): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(firefox:7122): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(firefox:7122): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised

(process:7122): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(firefox:7122): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(firefox:7122): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(firefox:7122): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(firefox:7122): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised
###!!! ABORT: XINERAMAIsActive: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error): file /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/mozilla/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
###!!! ABORT: XINERAMAIsActive: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error): file /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/mozilla/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157

Run across this post https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1265386. Could be something with my ATI driver. I’ll post the result later.

Removed my ATI proprietary driver (version is 13-4-x86.x86_64) and used default driver, restart Xorg. Now Firefox and Thunderbird running smoothly. This issue seem to come from display driver.

fglrx 13.4 doesn’t work with kernel 3.11.6. How were you even able to install it? (the kernel module fails to compile)
Or did you still have the 12.3 RPMs installed?

You need the latest Beta version:
openSUSE Lizards

Checked my kernel version, oops, I have the old kernel. My bad. :shame:
I thought the kernel was updated automatically during the update process.

Anyway, I followed your suggestion to use the latest fglrx beta version. Firefox and Thunderbird is working now. Thank you so much.
My problem SOLVED now.

The kernel is updated. But one older kernel is always kept in case there are problems with a kernel update.
It may be better that on upgrade all kernels from the previous openSUSE version would be removed unconditionally, but that is not done yet. There’s a bug report about that, though.