Thread: OpenSuSE 12.3 Initial Update Interrupted

Default OpenSuSE 12.3 Initial Update Interrupted

I did the initial install and adjusted several things (like substituting the default kernel for the desktop kernel) using only the installation media. (Perhaps I should mention that this is a virtual machine running on a stand alone VMware ESXi 5.1 host. It will primarily be accessed via SSH although KDE is installed.) My one problem is a very limited bandwidth (about 350K download). During the initial update using YaST Online Update, it made it about 1/3 through it when the connection timed out. I wound up killing the Online update and later restarted it. I noticed that it started over downloading everything and killed it again. I found 340 RPM files under /var/cache/zypp which apparently had never been installed.

Questions:

1. Are these RPMs the result of applying the downloaded drpms?

2. Is there a way either through YaST, zypper or manually to apply these without the pain of downloading them all over again?

3. Any suggestions on working around the limited internet bandwidth which is certainly not as bad as dial up but still not easy especially on initial updates?

Thank you,
    Lucky Leavell

Blog Entries

Smile Re: OpenSuSE 12.3 Initial Update Interrupted

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLeavell View Post
    I did the initial install and adjusted several things (like substituting the default kernel for the desktop kernel) using only the installation media. (Perhaps I should mention that this is a virtual machine running on a stand alone VMware ESXi 5.1 host. It will primarily be accessed via SSH although KDE is installed.) My one problem is a very limited bandwidth (about 350K download). During the initial update using YaST Online Update, it made it about 1/3 through it when the connection timed out. I wound up killing the Online update and later restarted it. I noticed that it started over downloading everything and killed it again. I found 340 RPM files under /var/cache/zypp which apparently had never been installed.

Questions:

2. Is there a way either through YaST, zypper or manually to apply these without the pain of downloading them all over again?

3. Any suggestions on working around the limited internet bandwidth which is certainly not as bad as dial up but still not easy especially on initial updates?

Thank you,
    Lucky Leavell
    I don't know of a way to force uninstalled apps to finish, but I was thinking if they were found complete when selected for download, that they are just used. I do have a bash script, designed to work with zypper that can examine and repair the zypper and rpm databases which might be good to use. Have a look here:

Zypper Command - Zypper Package Management Menu System - Version 2.00 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: OpenSuSE 12.3 Initial Update Interrupted

Yes.
    But normally zypper should just use the RPMs in /var/cache/zypp if available instead of downloading them again. Maybe this doesn't work correctly with drpms?

You could install them manually with "sudo rpm -U *.rpm"

Well, if you have installed the initial updates (yes there have been quite a lot updates since 12.3 was released, especially the KDE updates are quite big), it should be much easier in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    I don't know of a way to force uninstalled apps to finish, but I was thinking if they were found complete when selected for download, that they are just used. I do have a bash script, designed to work with zypper that can examine and repair the zypper and rpm databases which might be good to use. Have a look here:

Zypper Command - Zypper Package Management Menu System - Version 2.00 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,
    James,
    That looks like a very valuable tool set to have. I will definitely add it to my tool box. I really haven't done much with zypper but would like to learn more.

Thank you,
    Lucky

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yes.
    But normally zypper should just use the RPMs in /var/cache/zypp if available instead of downloading them again. Maybe this doesn't work correctly with drpms?
    I don't know. I was using YaST Online update instead of the zypper command line.

You could install them manually with "sudo rpm -U *.rpm"
    I'll try that when I get back home. This is a fresh install soIf it gets trashed I won't have lost much at this point.

Well, if you have installed the initial updates (yes there have been quite a lot updates since 12.3 was released, especially the KDE updates are quite big), it should be much easier in this regard.
    I was very tempted to not install KDE or any GUI since this will basically be a mail and file server accessed via SSH. I don't think I have ever accessed the server it is replacing via KDE once past the initial install. I prefer character based YaST to the GUI version anyway.

Thank you,
    Lucky

I don't know. I was using YaST Online update instead of the zypper command line.
    YaST and zypper are just different front ends to same stuff underneath (libzypp), so this doesn't matter.

I was very tempted to not install KDE or any GUI since this will basically be a mail and file server accessed via SSH. I don't think I have ever accessed the server it is replacing via KDE once past the initial install. I prefer character based YaST to the GUI version anyway.
    Well, you can still uninstall KDE if you want...
    But there won't be any full KDE update anymore anyway. (4.10.5 is the last release in the 4.10 series)