Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems after installing version 13.1

Question Problems after installing version 13.1

We mentioned these in the "Nightmare" responses but they seem to have gotten ignored. We would like to install -or- try to anyway, the new openSuSE 13.1. It was implied, or we got the impression, that it is to be "the" supported version for quite some time. Our main reason and desire for installing it. As mentioned, in the Nightmare scenario, we have installed this with BOTH:

A FULL DVD Fresh Install -and- as an UpDate/UpGrade over 12.2

Neither worked. The following are the problems we experienced. Have any of you experienced these -and- does anyone have any idea what causes them with a possible correction??

So what is/are our problem(s)??
    1.) Fire up "Firefox" and all we get is a blank Window with a Circle, that doesn't rotate, and the word "Connecting" up in the top frame. It never connects. It is frozen.

2.) Click on the "Orb' in the Lower Left corner and wait... and wait... and wait... and eventually get a menu.

3.) Was able to use the "Panel Settings" and get the "Lock/Logout" icon in the Lower Right side of the Panel. However, clicking on it to leave and we had to wait... and wait... and wait... and maybe eventually got the Logout choices.

Many of the other operations that we tried were also turtles in nature. Could anyone list the magic that will fix this and make it more usable??

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Box: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6Ghz | AMD Radeon R7 240 | 32GB RAM | openSuSE Leap 15/ KDE Plasma 5.12.6

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problems after installing version 13.1

Quote Originally Posted by chucktr View Post
    So what is/are our problem(s)??
    1.) Fire up "Firefox" and all we get is a blank Window with a Circle, that doesn't rotate, and the word "Connecting" up in the top frame. It never connects. It is frozen.
    I have observed that symptom when home LAN / WLAN internet access is down.

Can you confirm that your PC's network access was functioning ?

wrt updating, I note this from the release notes (although I don't know what the resultant symptoms may be):
    4.3. Duplicated Network Interfaces

The current version of systemd uses a new convention for assigning predictable names to network interfaces. YaST is changed accordingly.
    Some reports indicate a bug in YaST when conversion from one naming scheme to another takes place. If the same network interface has two different names, you have been hit by this bug. In this case remove the different network interfaces in /etc/sysconfig/network and use YaST to configure the network anew.
    For more information about predictable network interface names, see PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames.

On 2013-11-25 01:46, oldcpu wrote:
    >
    > chucktr;2601551 Wrote:

> I have observed that symptom when home LAN / WLAN internet access is
    > down.
    >
    > Can you confirm that your PC's network access was functioning ?
    >
    > wrt updating, I note this from the release notes (although I don't know
    > what the resultant symptoms may be):
    >>
    >> 4.3. DUPLICATED NETWORK INTERFACES

When that happens, network does not work. Chuck, please paste here the
    result of running "ifconfig". Do it inside code tags - the '#' button in
    the editor.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Red face Re: Problems after installing version 13.1

Ok. Thanks to both for your replies ... however, I do not have it installed at the moment, so I can not provide any of the information that you request. Other than, right now in my 12.3 version Firefox 25 and the Network 'are working'.

What we would like is... some reason, -and- fix, for the 'unresponsiveness'. I mean you should get almost instantaneous results from clicking on the Gecko Orb in the lower left hand corner. We would click on it and have to wait for what seemed like 5 minutes before app selections would be presented. The same thing on 'Leave'. Other operations were not fast either. In fact we probably overloaded the 'input' trying to get something to respond... without having to wait forever.

As stated in the 'Nightmare' scenario, we got totally frustrated and disgusted and dumped 13.1 and re-loaded our 'working' 12.3. We're sure that it is probably something simple that we have overlooked but for the life of us we can not think of anything.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Box: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6Ghz | AMD Radeon R7 240 | 32GB RAM | openSuSE Leap 15/ KDE Plasma 5.12.6

Blog Entries

With out log info and more information its hard to say why it was slow. Could it be this observation was right after boot and some unwanted search/categorization app was still running creating a temporary experience of slowless? Again its not IMHO possible to explain/test further without an actual install to repeat and debug the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    With out log info and more information its hard to say why it was slow. Could it be this observation was right after boot and some unwanted search/categorization app was still running creating a temporary experience of slowless? Again its not IMHO possible to explain/test further without an actual install to repeat and debug the problem.
    ok. What log info do you desire?? I plan to try the install again tonight and use some of these tips from the forum:
    Courtesy of jdeca57:
    solved the problem with KDE by going to a terminal [crtl][alt][F1] and entering:
    kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled false
    kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key CheckIsSafe true
    kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key OpenGLIsUnsafe false
    Had the above problem in an earlier release but I thought it was fixed. I'll try it anyway.

And from wolfi323:
    use YaST->Network->Network Settings to switch between NetworkManager and ifup (Global Options tab).
    But if you only have the one wired connection, you might just as well use ifup.
    I'll just make sure Newtwork Manager is in charge... and see IF that fixes my Networking problem.

And last but not least ... round-about-courtesy of oldcpu and Carlos:
    Make sure proc, sysfs, debugfs, usbfs and devpts are removed from fstab.
    IF you can think of anything else please let me know. I am either destroying my System one more time
    with this 13.1 attempt -or- managing an UpDate/UpGrade. We are trying right off to make it our "Main System"
    and NOT have to fight this twice. Therefore, we are going the UpDate route and not the Fresh Install.
    Neither worked before so it is a toss up and UpDate won.

Blog Entries

If an app is acting up, try running from a terminal/konsole and look for indicative errors.

If KDE is acting up, try a test where you run as a different user and see if a new user has same problem. That can sometimes point to problems with ones old /home with the new version of KDE of GNOME.

Sometimes /var/log/messages will have a hint as to a problem.

If too difficult to copy and paste text to internet try instead to take a pix with a digital camera and post images.

Apologies for non specific advice .... These are the methods I use myself.

Unhappy Re: Problems after installing version 13.1

We belong to the "Bullheaded Taylor Clan" and we are having a hard time imagining that we can not get this silly thing to work correctly. -But- it is being a beast. The following is our System descriptioncopied from my WebPage)

Harware Description
    Item Specifics - HP m7480n Pavilion Computer.
    Brand: Hewlett Packard Memory(RAM): 4 GB (Got a smokin' deal on 2GB)
    Model: Pavilion m7480n Hard Drive Capacity: (1) 500GB & (1) 750GB Drive
    Processor Type: Intel PentiumD 940 (P) Operating System(s): Windows XP Media Center/SuSE 12.1
    Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz Optical Drive: Lightscribe DVD + DVD ROM
    Video Card: nVidia GTX 560 Sound/Audio: Realtek ALC 882 chipset
    TV/FM Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 :
    Wireless Keyboard & Mouse with USB receiver/transmitter, Modem, Memory card reader, Network Integrated 10/100 Base-T, Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g, Remote Control - USB infrared remote and receiver
    Even though it is not included in the name, the processor is Dual-Core. An "older" technology but still a Multi-Core. Does make it faster. (...yes I am proud of it.)
    Printer: HP cp1700 or HP 7520 Router: NetGear RT311 WNDR3700
    Printer Server: NetGear PS110 Switch: NetGear GS108
    ETH0: 82801G (ICH7 Family) LAN WLAN: Atheros AR5413 802.11abg NIC
    : :

Now then, this works just fine with version 12.3. We have installed from a DVD thrice -and- even brought down a second copy, created another DVD and installed it. Also tried Re-Loading 12.3 and doing another UpDate. And last, but not least, we installed an nVidia driver - NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run - thought that might be the fix but it did not help.

We have had a 'Terminal' up and running although the initial startup was slow. Operations inside the Terminal were acceptable. It takes 20 to 30 secs for most of the operations to startup. We used 'Dolphin' and after an agonizing startup it worked fairly fast. We could change 'Drives' and 'Directories' and things looked almost normal. However, using the 'Control' at the top to add an Information Panel and then configuring it was another slow process.

When we first get to our Desktop -and- letting it settle, we click on the Orb and have to wait for a response. Then when the menu shows up, clicking on File Manager - takes almost 30 secs to get a response. Then when we click on the corner 'x' to close it we get "The app is Unresponsive - Terminate?" and we say yes.

Now selecting "System" in the Launch Panel and then "File Manger Super User" was a faster response. We got asked for the root password fairly quickly and the launch seemed to be a little faster. We have looked at the logs -but- nothing is jumping out at us... yet.

Oh, and it takes forever and ever for it to recognize a shutdown request.

Thanks,
    Chuck

open a konsole and run top. See if some process is running taking all the CPU.

You mention dolphin so I guess you are running a KDE desktop so it may be a Nepomuk this is a file indexer and can get carried away. You can go into Configure Desktop - Desktop search and turn off Nepomuk. See if that helps.

Unhappy Re: Problems after installing version 13.1

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    open a konsole and run top. See if some process is running taking all the CPU.

You mention dolphin so I guess you are running a KDE desktop so it may be a Nepomuk this is a file indexer and can get carried away. You can go into Configure Desktop - Desktop search and turn off Nepomuk. See if that helps.
    Thanks... good ideas -but- no help at this time. Nothing appears to be hogging the CPU and turning off Nepomuk did nothing. So I turned it back on. In some cases it is not totally consistent and in others it is. Something is causing delays. Its like it is configured wrong... like the wrong machine or something. Just can't put my finger on it.

I can click on Yast2 and get a quick response and then can look around in Yast2.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast