Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Opera and upgrade

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    57

    Default Opera and upgrade

    I (re)installed Opensuse 13.1 now with Gnome and _x64 (my earlier installation was KDE and i686) and it works just fine but then I install Opera from the normal repositories (+packman) and at the first run the software tells me that it's not at the current version (and that I'm at risk using the installed software).

    I download the rpm but the default option the downloader gives me is to remove the software, and I select save as.

    Now, I have an Opera rpm for opensuse but I'm a bit at loss: Normally, I'd expect the software to be adapted so that upgrades follow the suse repositories. That seems not to be the case.

    So my question:

    Do I install the latest Opera and remain safe according to them or do I ignore the upgrade message?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Opera and upgrade

    jdeca57 wrote:
    >
    > I (re)installed Opensuse 13.1 now with Gnome and _x64 (my earlier
    > installation was KDE and i686) and it works just fine but then I install
    > Opera from the normal repositories (+packman) and at the first run the
    > software tells me that it's not at the current version (and that I'm at
    > risk using the installed software).
    >
    > I download the rpm but the default option the downloader gives me is to
    > remove the software, and I select save as.
    >
    > Now, I have an Opera rpm for opensuse but I'm a bit at loss: Normally,
    > I'd expect the software to be adapted so that upgrades follow the suse
    > repositories. That seems not to be the case.
    >
    > So my question:
    >
    > Do I install the latest Opera and remain safe according to them or do I
    > ignore the upgrade message?
    >
    >

    Better to wait for upgrade through the repos

    --
    GNOME 3.10.1
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop

  3. #3

    Default Re: Opera and upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by jdeca57 View Post
    I (re)installed Opensuse 13.1 now with Gnome and _x64 (my earlier installation was KDE and i686) and it works just fine but then I install Opera from the normal repositories (+packman) and at the first run the software tells me that it's not at the current version (and that I'm at risk using the installed software).
    Hm. I thought that check was disabled in the openSUSE package?
    I don't get that message here...

    Anyway, I agree.
    You should just wait for the update in the official openSUSE repos.
    Normally that shouldn't take too long.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Opera and upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Hm. I thought that check was disabled in the openSUSE package?
    I don't get that message here...

    Anyway, I agree.
    You should just wait for the update in the official openSUSE repos.
    Normally that shouldn't take too long.
    Well I downloaded opera-12.16-1860.x86_64 (.rpm) and the version I have is
    (About Opera) Version information
    Version 12.15 Build 1748
    Platform Linux System x86_64, 3.11.6-4-desktop

    But OK, I'll wait

  5. #5

    Default Re: Opera and upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by jdeca57 View Post
    Well I downloaded opera-12.16-1860.x86_64 (.rpm) and the version I have is
    (About Opera) Version information
    Version 12.15 Build 1748
    Platform Linux System x86_64, 3.11.6-4-desktop
    I know that.
    But I thought, opera from the openSUSE package would not even check if there's a newer version available.

    And as I said, my Opera 12.15 doesn't notify me of a newer version 12.16.

    I now found this in the package's changelog:
    Code:
    * Fri Feb 01 2013 idonmez@suse.com- Remove update checker application since we don't need it.
      This removes the curl dependency as a bonus.
    And openSUSE's package has this in the default preferences:
    Code:
    [User Prefs]
    Disable Opera Package AutoUpdate=1
    And the package contains a file /usr/share/doc/opera/README.openSUSE with the following content:
    Code:
    Automatic update notification was disabled in order to let 
    system package manager take control of updating opera.
    The system-wide control file is located in /etc/operaprefs_fixed.ini
    System administrator can edit it according to their own rules.
    
    
    See also:
    http://www.opera.com/support/usingopera/operaini/
    http://www.opera.com/support/mastering/sysadmin/
    So is your installed opera package really from openSUSE's non-oss repo?
    Code:
    rpm -qi opera
    If you installed it manually from opera's home page, you also have to install the updates manually.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,173
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Opera and upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by jdeca57 View Post
    Do I install the latest Opera and remain safe according to them or do I ignore the upgrade message?
    Okay, I checked. The opera installed with 13.1 is version 12.15. When I run it, there's a message telling me to upgrade to 12.16

    My own plan -- I will wait for an update to come through the regular repos. Unless I run opera as root (and I don't), the security risk in linux is small enough that I won't be panicking.

    I'm really wanting to see the new webkit based version of opera, but that does not exist for linux.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  7. #7

    Default Re: Opera and upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Okay, I checked. The opera installed with 13.1 is version 12.15. When I run it, there's a message telling me to upgrade to 12.16
    Strange, I don't get that message.

    And as explained above, you should not either IMHO if you use the version from openSUSE's non-oss repo.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Opera and upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I
    So is your installed opera package really from openSUSE's non-oss repo?
    Code:
    rpm -qi opera
    If you installed it manually from opera's home page, you also have to install the updates manually.
    Well,

    Code:
    Name        : opera
    Version     : 12.15
    Release     : 2.1.6
    Architecture: x86_64
    Install Date: Sun 24 Nov 2013 05:14:45 PM CET
    Group       : Productivity/Networking/Web/Browsers
    Size        : 44701154
    License     : SUSE-NonFree
    Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Mon 14 Oct 2013 01:17:58 PM CEST, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
    Source RPM  : opera-12.15-2.1.6.nosrc.rpm
    Build Date  : Mon 14 Oct 2013 01:17:05 PM CEST
    Build Host  : cloud118
    Relocations : (not relocatable)
    Packager    : http://bugs.opensuse.org
    Vendor      : openSUSE
    URL         : http://www.opera.com/
    Summary     : Opera Web Browser (12.15 build 1748)
    Description :
    Opera is user-friendly, secure, and exceptionally fast. The browser is
    small, yet full-featured and functions well on systems with limited
    resources. Opera supports all common Web standards and implements them
    according to the official recommendations.
    Distribution: openSUSE 13.1
    Is that a sign of a manual install?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Opera and upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by jdeca57 View Post
    Is that a sign of a manual install?
    No, that comes from the non-oss repo obviously.

    But I don't understand why you two get that upgrade message then, and I don't.

  10. #10

    Default AW: Re: Opera and upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    But I don't understand why you two get that upgrade message then, and I don't.
    OK, I think I found out.
    I still have my old configuration around (years old). If I remove .opera/operaprefs.ini I get the message as well.

    So apparently that disabling of the update check doesn't work anymore, but I still have it disabled in operaprefs.ini from times when that worked... (I don't think I disabled it on purpose)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •