Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Font Size 6pt in Menus and Dialogs after openSUSE upgrade to 13.1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    171

    Default Font Size 6pt in Menus and Dialogs after openSUSE upgrade to 13.1

    After upgrading to openSUSE 13.1 from 12.3, LibreOffice was upgraded to Version: 4.1.3.2 Build ID: 410m0(Build:2), the SUSE build, with the upgrade, LibreOffice (Writer, Calc, etc.) is not adhering to the Font Sizes of the System Settings, and appears to be 6pt in size. The other applications on my openSUSE 13.1 System show no problem of this. This goes for the Menu Titles & entries, the listings in the Navigator, Styles & Formatting, Tools -> Options, and File Dialog (for opening and saving Files), which BTW, I was not using LibreOffice Dialogs for files, but now the issue is forced. The option in
    Options -> LibreOffice -> General
    now has the selection for “Print Dialogs” [Use LibreOffice Dialogs] and that is unchecked. I don’t guess anyone can help me with that unless they know of a way of hacking a file or two; I did restore a backup copy of my ~/.config/libreoffice/4-suse/user directory and sub-directories, but that did not solve the problem, so perhaps it is related to some other file somewhere else, (e.g. the root system) or perhaps a bug? Any help is greatly appreciated, as I do not have 20/15 vision

    The “Scaling” does not work good enough to compensate because it makes everything else too big; I’m accustomed to a font size of 14pt for the items explained above.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Font Size 6pt in Menus and Dialogs after openSUSE upgrade to 13.1

    One easy way to establish where the root cause may be is to create a new user > login to it and try things there. Report back here your findings
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3

    Default AW: Font Size 6pt in Menus and Dialogs after openSUSE upgrade to 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Gazer View Post
    After upgrading to openSUSE 13.1 from 12.3, LibreOffice was upgraded to Version: 4.1.3.2 Build ID: 410m0(Build:2), the SUSE build, with the upgrade, LibreOffice (Writer, Calc, etc.) is not adhering to the Font Sizes of the System Settings, and appears to be 6pt in size. The other applications on my openSUSE 13.1 System show no problem of this. This goes for the Menu Titles & entries, the listings in the Navigator, Styles & Formatting, Tools -> Options, and File Dialog (for opening and saving Files), which BTW, I was not using LibreOffice Dialogs for files, but now the issue is forced. The option in
    Options -> LibreOffice -> General
    now has the selection for “Print Dialogs” [Use LibreOffice Dialogs] and that is unchecked. I don’t guess anyone can help me with that unless they know of a way of hacking a file or two; I did restore a backup copy of my ~/.config/libreoffice/4-suse/user directory and sub-directories, but that did not solve the problem, so perhaps it is related to some other file somewhere else, (e.g. the root system) or perhaps a bug? Any help is greatly appreciated, as I do not have 20/15 vision

    The “Scaling” does not work good enough to compensate because it makes everything else too big; I’m accustomed to a font size of 14pt for the items explained above.
    Are you using KDE?
    Then you most likely miss the package libreoffice-kde4 (it conflicts with ibus, which is installed by default).
    So either install that package (and uninstall ibus), or check the settings in "Configure Desktop"->"Application Appearance"->GTK (that should apply to libreoffice, if the KDE integration is not installed).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: AW: Font Size 6pt in Menus and Dialogs after openSUSE upgrade to 13.1 [SOLVED]

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Are you using KDE?
    Then you most likely miss the package libreoffice-kde4 (it conflicts with ibus, which is installed by default).
    So either install that package (and uninstall ibus), or check the settings in "Configure Desktop"->"Application Appearance"->GTK (that should apply to libreoffice, if the KDE integration is not installed).
    Thank you so very very much!!! Yes, I am using KDE (I forgot to mention that). Your input did SOLVE the problems, including the issue for the Dialogs (Options, Open, Save, etc.), and now things like the font sizes, etc. are as they were before the upgrade of openSUSE to 13.1 -- your assistance is extremely appreciated, and my one good eye thanks you too

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: Font Size 6pt in Menus and Dialogs after openSUSE upgrade to 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    One easy way to establish where the root cause may be is to create a new user > login to it and try things there. Report back here your findings
    Thank you for your input The suggestion that wolfi323 provided got the issues I was addressing back to the way they were before. Apparently, the upgrade of openSUSE to 13.1 (at least FROM 12.3) removes the libreoffice-kd4 package of extensions and installs ibus* ones for it instead, which had to be uninstalled ... I just hope no other software packages need these these ibus* packages ... the GTK ones worked in 12.3.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,547

    Default Re: Font Size 6pt in Menus and Dialogs after openSUSE upgrade to 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Gazer View Post
    Thank you for your input The suggestion that wolfi323 provided got the issues I was addressing back to the way they were before. Apparently, the upgrade of openSUSE to 13.1 (at least FROM 12.3) removes the libreoffice-kd4 package of extensions and installs ibus* ones for it instead, which had to be uninstalled ... I just hope no other software packages need these these ibus* packages ... the GTK ones worked in 12.3.
    ibus is an IME (input method editor) used for inputting foreign languages. If you don't input any foreign languages then you wont miss it.
    There is a bug report on the conflict between ibus and libreoffice-kde4 but the bug is not an openSUSE bug but upstream.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: AW: Font Size 6pt in Menus and Dialogs after openSUSE upgrade to 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Are you using KDE?
    Then you most likely miss the package libreoffice-kde4 (it conflicts with ibus, which is installed by default).
    So either install that package (and uninstall ibus), or check the settings in "Configure Desktop"->"Application Appearance"->GTK (that should apply to libreoffice, if the KDE integration is not installed).
    I'm having the problem again but the above solution, which worked before, is not working this time -- it could be the problem was on my Desktop, and at this time, I'm on the Laptop. Would I uninstall the libibus package too? It seems the only way to do that is to break its dependencies or also uninstall the plasma add-ons too.

    Clifton

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,547

    Default Re: AW: Font Size 6pt in Menus and Dialogs after openSUSE upgrade to 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Gazer View Post
    I'm having the problem again but the above solution, which worked before, is not working this time -- it could be the problem was on my Desktop, and at this time, I'm on the Laptop. Would I uninstall the libibus package too? It seems the only way to do that is to break its dependencies or also uninstall the plasma add-ons too.

    Clifton
    no need to remove libibus.
    simply removing files beginning with ibus-*** and installing libreoffice-kde4 should fix the problem (if it is the same prob as discussed in this thread.)

    alternatively, you could try libreoffice-gnome and keep ibus.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: AW: Font Size 6pt in Menus and Dialogs after openSUSE upgrade to 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    no need to remove libibus.
    simply removing files beginning with ibus-*** and installing libreoffice-kde4 should fix the problem (if it is the same prob as discussed in this thread.)

    alternatively, you could try libreoffice-gnome and keep ibus.
    Well, I did do that, even unistalled the libibus which put me in the position of deinstallation of a couple of other things like plasma-addons (learned my lesson on doing that -- it meesed up things for some widgets on my panel) -- anyway, I was able to get the font sizes for the Menu Items in the top bar for the LibreOffice application, but I cannot see where the other font sizes have been restored like the Navigator, Styles and Formatting, Tool Options & Customization, because none of the font settings for the Fonts in "Configure Desktop" are set to be that small, not even the one for GTK ... it's like LibreOffice might be reducing the size of one of those font settings. OTOH, at least this time I don't have to use a magnifying glass to see the entries (like in Navigator);

    I don't remember the other item was that got unistalled when I unistalled libibus, of which I did re-installed and even "unconditionally updated" libreoffice-kde, which didn't help.

    Clifton

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,908

    Default Re: Font Size 6pt in Menus and Dialogs after openSUSE upgrade to 13.1

    Try renaming ~/.config/libreoffice to something else and see if it helps. This will force LO to recreate the standard config files, without any customizations you may have done, it's akin to try a new user. If it makes no difference, you can replace the new ~/.config/libreoffice directory with the old one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •