Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't print, can't open "configure desktop"

Default Can't print, can't open "configure desktop"

openSUSE 12.3
    KDE 4.10.5

Most strange.
    My wife yelled at me that she could not print so I started to take a look at it.
    I tried to open "Configure desktop" and the cursor bounces around a bit then nothing happens.
    I rebooted and was able to open the "configure desktop" but could not make the printer do anything. I tried a test print and nothing happened, though it says that the printer is connected.
    I tried going to localhost:631 and I get a "Unable to connect message".
    Again I tried to open "Configure desktop" and the cursor bounces around a bit then nothing happens.

I went into Yast to take a look at the printer and I could print a test page. it is a remote printer running via CUPS.

Please restore my sanity and save my marriage.
    openSUSE 13.2

Default Re: Can't print, can't open "configure desktop"

Printer model?
    /Zuchov

[Primary system: Gigabyte UD3, 16GB 1866Mhz + FX8350@4400Mhz + Nvidia 760]

Quote Originally Posted by zuchov View Post
    Printer model?
    Brother HL-2040.

it is attached to a remote PC via USB and works just fine from that PC as well as from Yast within the problem PC.

What is really weird is why I cannot open "Configure Desktop" .
    openSUSE 13.2

Quote Originally Posted by hextejas View Post
    What is really weird is why I cannot open "Configure Desktop" .
    Can you run it in Konsole?
    Code:
    systemsettings
    There also should be a printer icon in the system tray, it's hidden by default, so click on the small up-arrow just left of the digital clock.
    With this you should be able to reach the printer settings as well.

But it should be enough for KDE as well, if you set it up in YaST.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Can you run it in Konsole?
    Code:
    systemsettings
    There also should be a printer icon in the system tray, it's hidden by default, so click on the small up-arrow just left of the digital clock.
    With this you should be able to reach the printer settings as well.

But it should be enough for KDE as well, if you set it up in YaST.
    Systemsettings just sits there doing nothing. The cursor returned to the next row, position 1.
    I will try a ctl-c which returns control to me.
    There seems to be nothing in the system tray behind the ^ except
    Notifications
    Desktop search file indexing
    Device notifier....nothing in it
    Battery monitor.

Previously I had put the "manage printers" icon in the tray and pressing it gives me the "unable to connect" message.

weird
    openSUSE 13.2

Systemsettings just sits there doing nothing. The cursor returned to the next row, position 1.
    I will try a ctl-c which returns control to me.
    Maybe it is already running, but hiding somewhere?
    Try to kill it and run it again:
    Code:
    killall -KILL systemsettings && systemsettings
    There seems to be nothing in the system tray behind the ^ except
    Notifications
    Desktop search file indexing
    Device notifier....nothing in it
    Battery monitor.

Previously I had put the "manage printers" icon in the tray and pressing it gives me the "unable to connect" message.
    Maybe you have removed it?
    You can add it back by right-clicking on the ^ and choosing "System Tray Settings".

At the problem PC now.
    I tried running systemsettings as su - and it ran with a lot of stuff displayed.
    As an aside, this is the PC with a new SSD and these problems might be a result of my attempting to take shortcuts.
    I did an install of opensuse 12.3 and I think copied over the old desktop.

anyhow, here are some of what systemsettings showed.

Code:
    sunhui@linux-sml7:~> su -
    Password: 
    linux-sml7:~ # systemsettings
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    kbuildsycoca4(2829) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Keywords in "k3bsetup.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon). 
    kbuildsycoca4(2829)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/fcitx-skin-installer.desktop" has an empty mimetype! 
    kbuildsycoca4(2829)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/YaST2/bootloader.desktop" has Type= "Application" but also has a X-KDE-Library key. This works for now, but makes user-preference handling difficult, so support for this might be removed at some point. Consider splitting it into two desktop files. 
    kbuildsycoca4(2829)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/YaST2/users.desktop" has Type= "Application" but also has a X-KDE-Library key. This works for now, but makes user-preference handling difficult, so support for this might be removed at some point. Consider splitting it into two desktop files. 
    kbuildsycoca4(2829)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/YaST2/inetd.desktop" has Type= "Application" but also has a X-KDE-Library key. This works for now, but makes user-preference handling difficult, so support for this might be removed at some point. Consider splitting it into two desktop files. 

Password: 
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    kbuildsycoca4(2829) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Keywords in "k3bsetup.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon). 
    kbuildsycoca4(2829)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/fcitx-skin-installer.desktop" has an empty mimetype! 
    kbuildsycoca4(2829)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/YaST2/bootloader.desktop" has Type= "Application" but also has a X-KDE-Library key. This works for now, but makes user-preference handling difficult, so support for this might be removed at some point. Consider splitting it into two desktop files. 
    kbuildsycoca4(2829)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/YaST2/users.desktop" has Type= "Application" but also has a X-KDE-Library key. This works for now, but makes user-preference handling difficult, so support for this might be removed at some point. Consider splitting it into two desktop files. 
    kbuildsycoca4(2829)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/YaST2/inetd.desktop" has Type= "Application" but also has a X-KDE-Library key. This works for now, but makes user-preference handling difficult, so support for this might be removed at some point. Consider splitting it into two desktop files. 
    Password: 
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    Password: 
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    openSUSE 13.2

At the problem PC now.
    I tried running systemsettings as su - and it ran with a lot of stuff displayed.
    As an aside, this is the PC with a new SSD and these problems might be a result of my attempting to take shortcuts.
    I did an install of opensuse 12.3 and I think copied over the old desktop.

anyhow, here are some of what systemsettings showed.
    You can ignore that. That's just informational output for developers. Nothing to worry about.

But when you run systemsettings as root, you also change the settings for root. So not what you may want.
    Just as a note...

Have you tried to kill the user's systemsettings? See my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You can ignore that. That's just informational output for developers. Nothing to worry about.

But when you run systemsettings as root, you also change the settings for root. So not what you may want.
    Just as a note...

Have you tried to kill the user's systemsettings? See my previous post.
    I just tried killing systemsettings and it worked up to a point.
    It opened up "configure desktop" and I could close and open it again and again.
    But if I ever click on the printer within, it reverts to the "can't open configure desktop"
    Something about clicking on the printers ruins things.

I hope that is a clue.

My wife kicked me off cause she wants to do "her thing"
    I will get back to it later, but any suggestions ?
    I am tempted to remove and re-add the printer under her ID and see what happens. Pausing in between to see the status.
    openSUSE 13.2

I just tried killing systemsettings and it worked up to a point.
    It opened up "configure desktop" and I could close and open it again and again.
    But if I ever click on the printer within, it reverts to the "can't open configure desktop"
    Something about clicking on the printers ruins things.

I hope that is a clue.
    Hm. Since you also said you don't have the printer icon in the system tray, maybe it is not installed?
    Have a look in YaST->Software Management, the package is called "kde4-print-manager".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast