YaST / PackageKit won't quit

Version 13.1 Fresh install
YaST Software Manager
I am attempting to add a software package to my system. YaST starts, initializes the target system and attempts to load the Configured Repositories but then complains that PackageKit is already running.
I reply by clicking the PackageKit quit Yes button but it doesn’t quit.
If I restart the system the problem does not resolve.

PackageKit is still running (probably busy).
Ask PackageKit to quit again?

System management is locked by the application with pid 4142 (/usr/lib/packagekitd).
Close this application before trying again.

Would you like to abort or try again?

Wait until PackageKit is finished with what it is doing (most likely it is refreshing the software repositories and it’s cache of all packages, which can take a while the first time).

Or if you insist to, kill it manually:

sudo killall -KILL packagekitd

Then YaST should be able to start.

Thanks for the reply.
Would it be not unusual for it to take hours to initialize? I’ll leave it open and not abort it and see how it goes.
I have a 10Meg internet connection on a 6 processor system so it should go fairly quickly.
I’m new to Gnome (from KDE) so I’m getting used to where things are.

No. It would be unusual for it… :wink:

True, it should not take hours.

But I have seen it hanging for a long time if there are problems with reaching the servers. This should resolve itself after some time though.

I’m new to Gnome (from KDE) so I’m getting used to where things are.

Well, KDE uses PackageKit as well. (in the form of Apper)

I don’t know. I think there must be something wrong with my install.
After booting in I open Resources and one of the processors is pegged at 100%.
It’s not reflected in Processes as the highest process (gnome-shell) is around 12%, all others 0.
The Initialize Online Update still complains:

PackageKit is blocking software management.
This happens when the updater applet or another software management
application is running.

Ask PackageKit to quit?

I’m wondering if I should download another image and burn another install DVD for another clean install.

I think it does this slowly in the background, so takes a while.

My current practice: after install, first login to “icewm” to do all of the finishing stuff, including adding additional software. Since “icewm” doesn’t invoke packagekit, this postpones the initialization until a time when it won’t bother me.

Well, there was a problem with gnome-packagekit that really caused it to hang and peg a processor, but that should be fixed already. Not sure if the fix is in 13.1 though, but I would think so.

I would suggest to just kill packagekitd and then install all updates using YaST->Online Update or “zypper up”.

Killall worked this time and the 100% processor came down. Gnome really hums the cpu’s though huh. They’re all around 40%.

TheYaST Online Update is where it gets stuck. I’ll give the zypper up a go.

Thanks again all for replies.
S

What do you mean stuck? You can not run 2 updaters at the same time so if packagekit is running then you cant run Yast update or zypper.

That works every time.
But YaST/zypper don’t use killall, they ask packagekitd nicely to quit. And that doesn’t always work, i.e. if packagekitd is stuck it doesn’t react to that nice question as well obviously.

Gnome really hums the cpu’s though huh. They’re all around 40%.

It shouldn’t.
Maybe tracker is indexing your files?
Maybe you have a problem with your graphics driver?

TheYaST Online Update is where it gets stuck. I’ll give the zypper up a go.

With “stuck”, do you mean the packagekitd is blocking again?
Or is YaST itself stuck? Then I doubt you will have much luck with zypper as well.
There was a problem reported by some people that zypper got stuck when refreshing the repos. This would of course also explain your problem with PackageKit and YaST, since they all use the same in the end.

If that’s the problem, there were quite some posts here about the problem. Some things worked for some people but not for some others, like removing the update repo and adding it again.

If that’s your problem, please explain where zypper hangs exactly, i.e. what’s the output.

The problem presents as; after starting the system and logging in, there is already a YaST running. Because when I launch YaST and try anything like Load Repositories or get an Update or try looking for an application the pop-up occurs that asks would I like to quit PackageKit.
Then if I click Yes it won’t quit.
I can terminate the open window with:

But the same condition prevails as another launch of YaST exhibits the same behaviour as above.

I’ve been here for about an hour:
slmandr@linux-rr7o:~> sudo zypper up
root’s password:
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

I meant to add that there is very little Network activity. A few hundred bytes up and down every several seconds.

Yes, that’s exactly the problem I was talking about. So that’s why PackageKit is hanging as well.
It doesn’t download anything anymore, it gets stuck on its own cache of installed/available packages.

As I mentioned, there were some things that seemed to help some people, but not others.

There even was an update to zypper, which worked for some but apparently not for others.

Does deleting the cache help?

sudo rm -r /var/cache/zypp/

If not, try to delete the cache again, disable all repos (in YaST->Software Repositories f.e.), and see if it works then (it will not find any updates though of course, but that’s ok).
Try to enable the repos one-by-one then and see which one causes the hang.
Remove that one then, delete the cache again, and add it again.

Or file a bug report at http://bugzilla.novell.com/ (same username/password as here) and help the developers debug the problem.

I want to add, that I personally never had a problem like this, so it’s not that it’s very wide-spread…

I restarted the computer and immediately opened a Terminal then:

slmandr@linux-rr7o:~> sudo rm -r /var/cache/zypp/
root’s password:
PackageKit is blocking zypper. This happens if you have an updater applet or other software management application using PackageKit running.
Tell PackageKit to quit? [yes/no] (no):

Also I’m not able to get to

disable all repos (in YaST->Software Repositories f.e.),
Because of this problem. Packagekit already running won’t let me get there.

Tell PackageKit to quit? [yes/no] (no): yes
Try again? [yes/no] (no): yes
Try again? [yes/no] (no):

Kill it!
I think we already have established that.

packagekitd gets started when you login. And because of that problem it hangs indefinitely (?), just like zypper or yast.

Ok the yes/no dialog dialog didn’t work. I thought it would. I replied No then:

System management is locked by the application with pid 4162 (/usr/lib/packagekitd).
Close this application before trying again.
slmandr@linux-rr7o:~> sudo killall -KILL packagekitd
root’s password:
slmandr@linux-rr7o:~> sudo rm -r /var/cache/zypp/
rm: cannot remove ‘/var/cache/zypp/’: No such file or directory

PS thanks for toughing this out with me

You already removed the directory before, that’s why that error message occurs.

Try to run zypper up again.

If packagekitd blocks again, kill it, delete the directory, and run “zypper up”.

slmandr@linux-rr7o:~> sudo killall -KILL packagekitd
Failed to mount cd:///?devices=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-OPTIARC_DVD-ROM_DDU1681S,/dev/sr0,/dev/sr1 on /var/adm/mount/AP_0xbUddVw: Mounting media failed (mount: no medium found on /dev/sr1)

Please insert medium ] #1 and type ‘y’ to continue or ‘n’ to cancel the operation. [yes/no] (no): y
Building repository ‘openSUSE-13.1-1.10’ cache …[done]
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

So, did it hang again?

Then disable all repos and try again:

su
zypper mr -da
killall -KILL packagekitd
rm -r /var/cache/zypp
zypper up

Does this work?