Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenVPN Support seems to have been dropped as well 13.1

Default OpenVPN Support seems to have been dropped as well 13.1

OK so openvpn a very highly used tool for linux seems to no longer be integrated into openSUSE.

In past when installed, rcopenvpn was available and one could activate it through yast runlevel.

It was pretty well integrated into the environment and implementing a vpn was a snap for a user

Well with 13.1 all integration seems to have been dropped, Or am I missing something

Along with the dropping of the SSHD support for YAST2.

SSHD is one of the most used interfaces to the system as far as I can see, cant explain this,

Can someone shed some light on this for me, Seting up my system just became an experience from the 1990's

Help!

Default AW: OpenVPN Support seems to have been dropped as well 13.1

Quote Originally Posted by ercoupeflyer View Post
    OK so openvpn a very highly used tool for linux seems to no longer be integrated into openSUSE.

In past when installed, rcopenvpn was available and one could activate it through yast runlevel.

It was pretty well integrated into the environment and implementing a vpn was a snap for a user

Well with 13.1 all integration seems to have been dropped, Or am I missing something
    rcopenvpn and YaST runlevel are for old-style sysvinit. (YaST runlevel didn't even work fully anymore on 12.3)
    The openvpn package is built with systemd support now, and it does contain a native openvpn.service file.
    You should be able to enable/disable it in the new YaST->Service Manager.
    Or use "systemctl".

SSHD is one of the most used interfaces to the system as far as I can see, cant explain this,
    ???
    I never had any need to use the YaST SSHD module.
    You can enable/disable sshd in YaST->System->Service Manager, and open the Firewall port in YaST->Security and Users->Firewall anyway.

Blog Entries

Default Re: OpenVPN Support seems to have been dropped as well 13.1

Can someone shed some light on this for me, Seting up my system just became an experience from the 1990's

Help!
    You missed a couple of things:
    - 13.1 has moved completely to systemd. And, so have the openvpn packages
    - The Yast runlevel module has been replaced by the service manager module.

If you enter that module, you'll can enable the openvpn service, everything else needed will be handled by systemd.

Re. the SSHD module: noticed that too. But ... also thought I always used it once (I turn on ssh during install), to change the port the sshd is running on. And that's pretty useless these days (the attacks I see using ssh are never on port 22 ).

But, my main point is that I guess you (like me until 12.3) have continued using the old ways to get services running / monitor them, where you'll need to get used to systemd (which also means the old runlevels are no longer used).
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

See also here:
    Openvpn - FedoraProject

In short, you can start the VPN server configured in /etc/openvpn/vpn1.conf with:
    Code:
    systemctl start openvpn@vpn1.service
    To enable automatic start at boot, use this:
    Code:
    systemctl enable openvpn@vpn1.service
    You have to change the "vpn1" accordingly to the names of your configurations of course.

Will Honea NNTP User

wolfi323 wrote:

> I never had any need to use the YaST SSHD module.
    > You can enable/disable sshd in YaST->System->Service Manager, and open
    > the Firewall port in YaST->Security and Users->Firewall anyway.
    >

On a one-for-one setup this is OK, but if you have a setup where you need to
    ssh into multiple computers behind a nat'd router it becomes a real pain.
    Setting up here requires unique ports for each device so that the router can
    properly forward external traffic properly.

Enough of a hassle that I'm trying to get the scripting right just to do the
    initial setup. The convenience afforded by the yast module is sorely
    missed!

--
    Will Honea

Thank you all for you comments.

Looks like I am still using the old ways,

But Will I agree with you the yast module, made managing sshd much much simpler, We are trying to make the system easier to use with each generation righ-t?

Well Will work on systemd understanding, and try the new modules.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    See also here:
    Openvpn - FedoraProject

In short, you can start the VPN server configured in /etc/openvpn/vpn1.conf with:
    Code:
    systemctl start openvpn@vpn1.service
    To enable automatic start at boot, use this:
    Code:
    systemctl enable openvpn@vpn1.service
    You have to change the "vpn1" accordingly to the names of your configurations of course.

If I understand correctly I need to configure then start each vpn separately and then issue an enable command for each one.

In past I just added VPN1.. vpnn.conf to the openvpn directory and restarted the service. So it would seem to be a little more complicated.
    And requires a little more manual work, On the upside it seems to provide a more granular control of the vpns

Will give it a try, Thanks

If I understand correctly I need to configure then start each vpn separately and then issue an enable command for each one.
    Correct.
    You don't have to start it, though.
    Just enable it and it will be started on the next boot.

If you don't want to reboot and have it running _now_, you _must_ start it of course...

In past I just added VPN1.. vpnn.conf to the openvpn directory and restarted the service. So it would seem to be a little more complicated.
    And requires a little more manual work, On the upside it seems to provide a more granular control of the vpns
    Well, there is a openvpn.target in the openSUSE package, which is supposed to start _all_ services like the old rcopenvpn did.
    But I don't know yet how you would activate that.

PS: Regarding the SSHD module, you could try to install the package from 12.3:
    Code:
    sudo rpm -i http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.3/repo/oss/suse/noarch/yast2-sshd-2.22.0-4.1.2.noarch.rpm
    Worked fine for me with the TV module... No guarantees though.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    You missed a couple of things:
    - 13.1 has moved completely to systemd. And, so have the openvpn packages
    - The Yast runlevel module has been replaced by the service manager module.

If you enter that module, you'll can enable the openvpn service, everything else needed will be handled by systemd.

Re. the SSHD module: noticed that too. But ... also thought I always used it once (I turn on ssh during install), to change the port the sshd is running on. And that's pretty useless these days (the attacks I see using ssh are never on port 22 ).

But, my main point is that I guess you (like me until 12.3) have continued using the old ways to get services running / monitor them, where you'll need to get used to systemd (which also means the old runlevels are no longer used).
    I see what I did, I used the text only install for my server, yast for ncurses and I did not see that module installed after the system restarted. Maybe I need to look a little more closely at what is installed. I Manually installed the Runlevel as I am used to doing, to do the vpn setup. Looking for Service Manager now.

sshd did far more that just allow remapping or port, which I do at firewall anyway. It allowed many configuration changes, now one must understand the config file and options ala 6.0 release of Suse. Its just more work, I thought we were trying to make things more easy.

Blog Entries

I see what I did, I used the text only install for my server, yast for ncurses and I did not see that module installed after the system restarted. Maybe I need to look a little more closely at what is installed. I Manually installed the Runlevel as I am used to doing, to do the vpn setup. Looking for Service Manager now.

sshd did far more that just allow remapping or port, which I do at firewall anyway. It allowed many configuration changes, now one must understand the config file and options ala 6.0 release of Suse. Its just more work, I thought we were trying to make things more easy.
    AFAIU, there just isn't the developer resources to do this at this stage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast