Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Operation not permitted on dev/sda

Post Re: Operation not permitted on dev/sda

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    If you want to retain current MBR partitions, you can use sgdisk to clear out GPT:
    Code:
    sgdisk --zap /dev/XXX
    Or using interactive gdisk - gdisk /dev/XXX, then select 'x' for expert functions and 'z' to destroy GPT. Make sure to answer "N" when asked whether to zap MBR as well.

If you want to start with blank disk, just "sgdisk --zap-all" or answer "Y" in case of gdisk. This is wipe out both MBR abd GPT.
    Output from
    Code:
    sgdisk --zap /dev/XXX
    is:
    Code:
    Problem opening /dev/XXX for reading! Error is 2.
    The specified file does not exist!
    Problem opening '' for writing! Program will now terminate.
    Output from
    Code:
    gdisk /dev/XXX
    is:
    Code:
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.7
    Problem opening /dev/XXX for reading! Error is 2.
    The specified file does not exist!
    All commands were executed by root.
    --------------------
    Thanks for everyone who helped to solve this problem, which's about being solved , and I hope future releases come free of it.
    Ask freely, if you need more information.
    Last edited by sherif6; 10-Dec-2013 at 09:55. Reason: I forgot to add sentence.

Default Re: Operation not permitted on dev/sda

On 2013-12-10 17:56, sherif6 wrote:

> Output from
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > sgdisk --zap /dev/XXX
    > --------------------
    > is:
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > Problem opening /dev/XXX for reading! Error is 2.
    > The specified file does not exist!
    > Problem opening '' for writing! Program will now terminate.
    > --------------------

Of course /dev/XXX does not exist! You have to replace those XXX with
    the appropriate name, which you know and we don't.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Red face Re: Operation not permitted on dev/sda

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-12-10 17:56, sherif6 wrote:

> Output from
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > sgdisk --zap /dev/XXX
    > --------------------
    > is:
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > Problem opening /dev/XXX for reading! Error is 2.
    > The specified file does not exist!
    > Problem opening '' for writing! Program will now terminate.
    > --------------------

Of course /dev/XXX does not exist! You have to replace those XXX with
    the appropriate name, which you know and we don't.
    Output from
    Code:
    sgdisk --zap /dev/sda
    is:
    Code:
    Invalid partition data!
    GPT data structures destroyed! You may now partition the disk using fdisk or
    other utilities.
    I this's the correct name, right?
    I tried Live Installer. which suggested to use the entire space of /dev/sda.
    Error
    Warning: Your system states that it requires an EFI boot setup. Since the selected space doesn't contain a GPT disk label Yast will create a GPT label on this disk.
    You need to mark all partitions on this disk for removal.
    It seems that the problem's solved, because I could create, remove partitions on /dev/sda.
    Thanks.

What should I do to complete installation? If I can't install it with UEFI boot, how to install it with a traditional boot?
    Note: it seems that there's a bug in the Live USB. I couldn't run YAST from Configure Desktop. I'll restart the computer.

You have to tell the UEFI to emulate a BIOS to use MBR booting, but UEFI booting should work ok now. It wording will depend on the exact UEFI you have.

Question Re: Operation not permitted on dev/sda

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You have to tell the UEFI to emulate a BIOS to use MBR booting, but UEFI booting should work ok now. It wording will depend on the exact UEFI you have.
    UEFI boot was always working well, but the OpenSUSE installer wants to delete everything to set disk label to GPT to install OpenSUSE with UEFI boot. The BIOS has an option to add support for traditional boot. If I disable it, there'll only be UEFI boot.
    I want to install OpenSUSE without removing Windows 7, so can I:
    1. Install it with UEFI boot without removing everything? Or
    2. Make the installer install it with traditional boot with gurantee that it won't fail?

Yep would want to zap it the partitioning tables are not the same. Your origianl problem was because you tried to change the partitioning scheme without understanding it.

Backup any data you want to keep zap everything and start form scratch doing it right. In the state the HD is you have a good chance of losing everything no mater what you do.

Question Re: Operation not permitted on dev/sda

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Yep would want to zap it the partitioning tables are not the same. Your origianl problem was because you tried to change the partitioning scheme without understanding it.

Backup any data you want to keep zap everything and start form scratch doing it right. In the state the HD is you have a good chance of losing everything no mater what you do.
    May you tell me what to do exactly?

Smile Re: Operation not permitted on dev/sda

If there's no choice, I'll search for a way to reinstall Windows 7 with UEFI from CD to make everything use GPT and UEFI. I hope Windows 7 installer'll remove the MBR by itself.

Backup any existing data you may want or need ie boot to a Live DVD/RescueCD and copy anything you deem important to a USB drive or some where else.

Then do the install and let the installer wipe things like it wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by sherif6 View Post
    If there's no choice, I'll search for a way to reinstall Windows 7 with UEFI from CD to make everything use GPT and UEFI. I hope Windows 7 installer'll remove the MBR by itself.
    W7 will do OK with UEFI/GPT, but it cannot do Secure Boot. If you want to control the partitioning yourself, you should create GPT partitions yourself before installing. Actually, I recommend doing it like that, as this will make W7 position files better for long-term performance since the space it installs itself in is where it will execute later on - and not in a more limited space. Also, it is normally recommended to install Windows first, as Windows is known for its "I'm alone on this system, so I'll do what I want"-attitude. My suggestions are according to what I beleive to be correct (they are off the top of my head and I have not executed them myself). Here they are:

First of all: Make sure you do as gogalthorp recommends: Backup everything you want to keep and save it somewhere else that is not on the harddisk where you are to make installations.

1. Make sure your partition-tables are fresh and sound: Do as arvidjaar suggested: "If you want to start with blank disk, just "sgdisk --zap-all" or answer "Y" in case of gdisk. This is wipe out both MBR abd GPT"
    2. Enable pure UEFI in your "BIOS", and disable "Secure Boot".
    3. If you want to control partitioning yourself, boot from some medium holding a disk partitioner to your liking, e.g. "openSUSE 13.1 live DVD" and use e.g. gparted.
      1. Create a 300MB FAT32-formatted partition. This will be the ESP partition. Mark (flag) this partition for (UEFI-)boot.
      2. Create a partition for W7 to use on its own. Don't format it (nor select a file system for it). Leave that to W7 itself. Select a size you see fit for this partition. The true minimum size is subject to discussion and taste, but I can recommend a rule of thumb to use: 15GiB for off-the-install-DVD installation + 5 to 10GiB for W7's own future logistics + what you want for your own data and programs you want to add/install. Add to all that another 14% (=space that preferrably should never be used for anything, except for temporary ad-hoc storage for W7 to use while executing your programs), and you should have a system that is useful and responsive. Normally, that would mean around 60GiB and upwards.

4. Install W7. Direct the installation to the (big) partition you created. W7 will make use of the ESP partition automatically.
    5. If you have a Linux partitioning scheme that you prefer for yourself, create it now (again, you can use e.g. the openSUSE live DVD and gparted).
    6. Install openSUSE. New Linux partitions will be suggested as part of the installation. If you created partitions in item 5, reject the suggestions. If not, take a look at what is suggested. Feel free to make adjustments to your liking/preferences. As a minimum, it is generally recommended to have separate swap (2GiB), root (20GiB) and home (the rest, > root) partitions. Common sizes were listed in parantheses, but you choose as you like or need. There is no one-answer-fit-everyone here. Follow the instruction on the screen and let the installation finish off. If you get into problems, ask back here in the forums.
    7. Adjust W7 according to help to better protect your openSUSE disks from W7:
      • The Command-line method:

Right-click the Command Prompt icon and select "Run as Administrator" (in Accessories if not on your desktop). Confirm. Enter the following command: mountvol <drive> /D and press the <Enter>-key. <drive> is to be replaced with the drive letters shown for each of the Linux volumes that are to be hidden from W7, so you need to execute the command once per Linux volume.

After that, you should be fine. Good luck!

dayfinger

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345