Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Recommendations for basic localhost mail server, please?

  1. #1

    Default Recommendations for basic localhost mail server, please?

    I've just upgraded from 12.3 to 13.1 using Gnome. One thing that is not working is the Dovecot server which I use to pick up mail from localhost only. Dovecot fails to start due to a permissions problem, and there is a bug report registered but no workaround I have found so far.

    So I'm looking for a very simple mail server I can have running on my machine so that Evolution can collect mail (very few messages) from localhost only. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Recommendations for basic localhost mail server, please?

    On 2013-11-21 10:36, colbec wrote:
    >
    > I've just upgraded from 12.3 to 13.1 using Gnome. One thing that is not
    > working is the Dovecot server which I use to pick up mail from localhost
    > only. Dovecot fails to start due to a permissions problem, and there is
    > a bug report registered but no workaround I have found so far.


    Link, please?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  3. #3

    Default Re: Recommendations for basic localhost mail server, please?

    colbec wrote:
    > I've just upgraded from 12.3 to 13.1 using Gnome. One thing that is not
    > working is the Dovecot server which I use to pick up mail from localhost
    > only. Dovecot fails to start due to a permissions problem, and there is
    > a bug report registered but no workaround I have found so far.
    >
    > So I'm looking for a very simple mail server I can have running on my
    > machine so that Evolution can collect mail (very few messages) from
    > localhost only. Any suggestions?


    Evolution can read mail from localhost directly, can it not? Just set up
    an account for it.

    Sorry, I haven't used it in recent times so can't be precise about how
    to do that.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommendations for basic localhost mail server, please?

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-11-21 10:36, colbec wrote:
    >
    > I've just upgraded from 12.3 to 13.1 using Gnome. One thing that is not
    > working is the Dovecot server which I use to pick up mail from localhost
    > only. Dovecot fails to start due to a permissions problem, and there is
    > a bug report registered but no workaround I have found so far.


    Link, please?

    )
    The link I have is https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=842388

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recommendations for basic localhost mail server, please?

    Quote Originally Posted by djh-novell View Post
    colbec wrote:
    > I've just upgraded from 12.3 to 13.1 using Gnome. One thing that is not
    > working is the Dovecot server which I use to pick up mail from localhost
    > only. Dovecot fails to start due to a permissions problem, and there is
    > a bug report registered but no workaround I have found so far.
    >
    > So I'm looking for a very simple mail server I can have running on my
    > machine so that Evolution can collect mail (very few messages) from
    > localhost only. Any suggestions?


    Evolution can read mail from localhost directly, can it not? Just set up
    an account for it.

    Sorry, I haven't used it in recent times so can't be precise about how
    to do that.
    This never occurred to me. Trying it now. Thanks.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Recommendations for basic localhost mail server, please?

    Quote Originally Posted by colbec View Post
    This never occurred to me. Trying it now. Thanks.
    Tried this, but failed. Nothing running on IMAP ports to check against, so cannot set up an account for localhost. Must be missing something if this should work.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommendations for basic localhost mail server, please?

    colbec wrote:
    > colbec;2599654 Wrote:
    >> This never occurred to me. Trying it now. Thanks.

    >
    > Tried this, but failed. Nothing running on IMAP ports to check against,
    > so cannot set up an account for localhost. Must be missing something if
    > this should work.


    It's not an IMAP account, its a local account. See:

    https://help.gnome.org/users/evoluti...gement.html.en

  8. #8

    Default Re: Recommendations for basic localhost mail server, please?

    Quote Originally Posted by djh-novell View Post
    colbec wrote:
    > colbec;2599654 Wrote:
    >> This never occurred to me. Trying it now. Thanks.

    >
    > Tried this, but failed. Nothing running on IMAP ports to check against,
    > so cannot set up an account for localhost. Must be missing something if
    > this should work.


    It's not an IMAP account, its a local account. See:

    https://help.gnome.org/users/evoluti...gement.html.en
    Got it, thanks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Recommendations for basic localhost mail server, please?

    On 2013-11-21 11:46, colbec wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2599632 Wrote:
    >> On 2013-11-21 10:36, colbec wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I've just upgraded from 12.3 to 13.1 using Gnome. One thing that is not
    >>> working is the Dovecot server which I use to pick up mail from localhost
    >>> only. Dovecot fails to start due to a permissions problem, and there is
    >>> a bug report registered but no workaround I have found so far.

    >>
    >> Link, please?
    >>
    >> )

    >
    > The link I have is https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=842388


    Is that bug description exactly the same as yours? Because you mention a
    permission problem, and there is nothing in the bugzilla about that.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Recommendations for basic localhost mail server, please?

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-11-21 11:46, colbec wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2599632 Wrote:
    >> On 2013-11-21 10:36, colbec wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I've just upgraded from 12.3 to 13.1 using Gnome. One thing that is not
    >>> working is the Dovecot server which I use to pick up mail from localhost
    >>> only. Dovecot fails to start due to a permissions problem, and there is
    >>> a bug report registered but no workaround I have found so far.

    >>
    >> Link, please?
    >>
    >> )

    >
    > The link I have is https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=842388


    Is that bug description exactly the same as yours? Because you mention a
    permission problem, and there is nothing in the bugzilla about that.
    I see some information about a permissions problem, and I took "file_dotlock_open" to be a reflection of that. If I read the bugzilla correctly that issue is being looked after so will wait for some resolution of that issue. My immediate problem seems to be solved, no need to have a dovecot running at all, simplifies things greatly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •