Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: OpenSuse 12.3 and Unison

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default OpenSuse 12.3 and Unison

    I've been very happy using unison to keep a lot of files synchronized on several desktops and several more laptops, but recently I upgraded my desktop to 12.3. Since then unison won't let me add a pair of folders to synchronize - as soon as I try to select a destination, unison closes.

    I can't find any info here, but on another site (LQ Questions) it calls this a segmentation fault in libgtk-x-11.

    I've tried to install a version from 12.2 - and it installs but has the same problem.


    Anyone suggest ho I can proceed.? (The other site doesn't have answers either)
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: OpenSuse 12.3 and Unison

    On 2013-11-20 19:46, robertsmits wrote:
    >
    > I've been very happy using unison to keep a lot of files synchronized on
    > several desktops and several more laptops, but recently I upgraded my
    > desktop to 12.3. Since then unison won't let me add a pair of folders to
    > synchronize - as soon as I try to select a destination, unison closes.


    You need have on all machines the exact same version of unison.
    Typically it means you have to install it from the same extra repo
    (tools?), instead of the version from the "oss" repo.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Unhappy Re: OpenSuse 12.3 and Unison

    I'm sorry, Carlos, but you misunderstand how I use unison. Whenever I transfer files I only do so with nfs networked machines, so all the transfers are "local" transfers and I need only one version of unison at a time. Everything I transfer is a "local" transfer, and I've done it that way for years.

    I noticed one thing with this last go-round, however is that everything works fine when I'm using KDE3, but unison quits as soon as you try to select files under KDE4. And even though the file names are setup under KDE3, when you go to KDE4, unison can't find the files.
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: OpenSuse 12.3 and Unison

    On 2013-11-21 04:36, robertsmits wrote:
    >
    > I'm sorry, Carlos, but you misunderstand how I use unison. Whenever I
    > transfer files I only do so with nfs networked machines, so all the
    > transfers are "local" transfers and I need only one version of unison at
    > a time. Everything I transfer is a "local" transfer, and I've done it
    > that way for years.


    Oh.

    I use it always via ssh from one machine to another.

    > I noticed one thing with this last go-round, however is that everything
    > works fine when I'm using KDE3, but unison quits as soon as you try to
    > select files under KDE4. And even though the file names are setup under
    > KDE3, when you go to KDE4, unison can't find the files.


    And I don't use the KDE desktop, it is gnome or xfce.

    But I don't understand the "selecting files part". When I use unison, I
    select a profile, enter the password when prompted, and then the thing
    scans the files on both computers and proposes operations to do. A list
    of files with arrows going left or right.

    There are no files to select :-?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: OpenSuse 12.3 and Unison

    On 2013-11-21 04:36, robertsmits wrote:

    > I noticed one thing with this last go-round, however is that everything
    > works fine when I'm using KDE3, but unison quits as soon as you try to
    > select files under KDE4. And even though the file names are setup under
    > KDE3, when you go to KDE4, unison can't find the files.


    And I don't use the KDE desktop, it is gnome or xfce.

    But I don't understand the "selecting files part". When I use unison, I
    select a profile, enter the password when prompted, and then the thing
    scans the files on both computers and proposes operations to do. A list
    of files with arrows going left or right.

    There are no files to select :-?

    Before you can create a profile you need to select what files constitute the two halves of the profile - that is precisely where unison quits - as soon as you try to select a file.

    Are you using Opensuse 12.3 or higher? This doesn't occur on 12.1or 12.2.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    Bob.
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: OpenSuse 12.3 and Unison

    On 2013-11-22 06:56, robertsmits wrote:

    >
    > Before you can create a profile you need to select what files constitute
    > the two halves of the profile - that is precisely where unison quits -
    > as soon as you try to select a file.


    I have never seen that. I create the profile with a text editor, there
    is not not a GUI thing for it.

    There is the "~/.unison/" directory. In it I have profiles, like this:

    cer@minas-tirith:~> cat .unison/Notes.prf
    root = /home/cer/Documentacion/Notes
    root = ssh://cer@telcontar.valinor/Documentacion/Notes
    cer@minas-tirith:~>


    Where I give the root paths on both machines. I don't select any files
    with a browser, I type the directory names. It is described in the manual.



    > Are you using Opensuse 12.3 or higher? This doesn't occur on 12.1or
    > 12.2.


    12.3 and 11.4.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    623

    Default Re: OpenSuse 12.3 and Unison

    I had this problem as well and never did find a solution.

    I would encourage you to move on to another backup/sync solution.
    FreeFileSync | Free Security & Utilities software downloads at SourceForge.net is similiar to unison.
    storeBackup.org--Free, super efficient backup software is a very sophisticated and efficient backup solution although it is command line only. This is what I am currently using.
    Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default x86_64 bits:
    64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
    Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: OpenSuse 12.3 and Unison

    Quote Originally Posted by anika200 View Post
    I had this problem as well and never did find a solution.

    I would encourage you to move on to another backup/sync solution.
    FreeFileSync | Free Security & Utilities software downloads at SourceForge.net is similiar to unison.
    storeBackup.org--Free, super efficient backup software is a very sophisticated and efficient backup solution although it is command line only. This is what I am currently using.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still able to use unison on two of my systems, so I'm going to try to find a solution for the time being - I no longer care for command line programs, although twenty years ago I used nothing else.
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: OpenSuse 12.3 and Unison

    On 2013-11-22 19:46, robertsmits wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still able to use unison on two of my
    > systems, so I'm going to try to find a solution for the time being - I
    > no longer care for command line programs, although twenty years ago I
    > used nothing else.


    Well, the setup of unison has to be done with an editor, but an editor
    is a GUI, not a CLI.

    You can do the initial setup with a wizard, which is point and click,
    but it only does the most basic of setups. To do things, you really have
    to use the editor.

    And you do have to read the manual, which does not mean "click on help".


    That's how things are. Linux is not really free, you have to pay with
    your effort.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: OpenSuse 12.3 and Unison

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-11-22 19:46, robertsmits wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still able to use unison on two of my
    > systems, so I'm going to try to find a solution for the time being - I
    > no longer care for command line programs, although twenty years ago I
    > used nothing else.


    Well, the setup of unison has to be done with an editor, but an editor
    is a GUI, not a CLI.

    You can do the initial setup with a wizard, which is point and click,
    but it only does the most basic of setups. To do things, you really have
    to use the editor.

    And you do have to read the manual, which does not mean "click on help".


    That's how things are. Linux is not really free, you have to pay with
    your effort.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)
    Carlos, your experience and mine are quite different. I'm NOT doing something wrong in unison. It still works just fine with Opensuse 12.2. Nor do I need to use an editor to enter the filenames I'm going to synchronize - as you quite correctly point out unison has a wizard for that, which works just fine.

    There is something wrong with unison on Opensuse 12.3 KDE4 because the wizard doesn't work. As soon as you try to select any file in the wizard unison shuts down and disappears.

    However, if I boot Opensuse 12.3 to KDE3, and run unison it works fine - doesn't crash, transfers files, etc.

    If I now reboot to Opensuse 12.3 KDE4, unison can find the profile but it can't find the files!

    There is something wrong with Opensuse 12.3 KDE4 and unison. I'm putting my effort into trying to figure out what that is so we can all use it again.
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •