Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touch wood, but seems like a smooth upgrade

Default Touch wood, but seems like a smooth upgrade

I downloaded 13.1 last night, and, after work today, was just about to go through the usual routine of burning a DVD etc, when, on a whim, I decided to do a live distribution upgrade instead.

That went quite smoothly on my laptop (with a few little wrinkles detailed below), and I'm now doing the same with my headless server. So I thought I should document what I did, and see how other people feel about this method these days. I have to say that, so far, it is the most pain-free installation/upgrade that I've ever done (touch wood!)

Here's what I did:
    1. Changed all main repositories to 13.1 with the Yast Software Repository tool. The SBD recommends zypper for this, but I always prefer to use a gui tool if I can, as it's a lot easier to check your work.
    2. Deleted all community repositories except for Packman. The SBD recommends this (I guess including Packman). I decided to try changing the Packman repository instead, so that I wouldn't have to go back later to get mplayer et al working properly.
    3. Added the 13.1 DVD (iso) file as a repository. I always do this anyway after installing/upgrading so that Yast doesn't keep hassling to insert the DVD.
    4. I set the priority of the iso file to 98 and the priority of Packman to 97. My logic was a) I want the Packman versions of files rather than the hobbled OSS ones, and b) I didn't want to download anything that was already on the DVD (iso). I'm not sure if that second part was necessary, but I've read that zypper prioritises web-based repositories over the DVD, even if the version number of files is the same - perhaps that information is out of date.
    5. Refreshed all repositories and closed the Yast tool.
    6. su'ed into a terminal and typed "zypper dup".
    7. Apart from the usual warnings and license approvals, I did get one dependency issue: "ibus-1.5.4-1.1.x86_64 conflicts with libreoffice-kde4 provided by libreoffice-kde4-4.1.2.3-1.1.x86_64". I'm not sure what caused that, but decided to play it safe and uninstall libreoffice KDE integration temporarily.
    8. Once zypper got under way ... I watched a 30 minute podcast while having dinner.
    9. By the time dinner was finished, so was zypper (actually it may have been a little longer than 30 minutes, but not much). I rebooted my laptop.

1. First wrinkle: Grub still said 12.3. That was easily fixed with the Yast Boot Loader tool.
    2. Second wrinkle: I thought my nfs shares had gone, but it turned out that Network Manager had logged me into the wrong network - not sure what that was about. Anyway, as soon as I corrected that, the nfs shares were back.
    3. Third wrinkle: as expected, libreoffice had its native file dialogs, rather than the KDE ones. Fortunately, Yast Software Manager let me reinstall KDE integration without complaint - it seems that the dependency issue sorted itself out once the upgrade was complete.
    4. Not a wrinkle, but Apper was waiting for me with a long list of updates, which I duly approved.

So, unless there is a gremlin waiting for me in the shadows, I cannot see myself ever going back to DVD installation (sooooo 20th century ). Only thing is ... I sort of miss the event; that excitement of booting up a new OpenSuse DVD, anticipating what is in store. Perhaps that's why I felt the need to come online and share with the community instead.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone ... but obviously, do this at your own risk. And at least burn a DVD first in case of a power outage.

Default AW: Touch wood, but seems like a smooth upgrade

Some comments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thailandian View Post
    I set the priority of the iso file to 98 and the priority of Packman to 97. My logic was a) I want the Packman versions of files rather than the hobbled OSS ones, and b) I didn't want to download anything that was already on the DVD (iso). I'm not sure if that second part was necessary, but I've read that zypper prioritises web-based repositories over the DVD, even if the version number of files is the same - perhaps that information is out of date.
    But be sure to change the priorities of the update repo then as well to 98 or lower. Otherwise you won't get any official updates!

I only use the online repos, so can't really give you advice here, but there _is_ a setting whether to prefer online repos over the DVD in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf:
    Code:
    ##
    ## Hint which media to prefer when installing packages (download vs. CD).
    ##
    ## Valid values:        download, volatile
    ## Default value:       download
    ##
    ## Note that this just a hint. First of all the solver will choose the 'best'
    ## package according to its repos priority, version and architecture. But if
    ## there is a choice, we will prefer packages from the desired media.
    ##
    ## Packages available locally are always preferred. The question is whether
    ## you prefer packages being downloaded via FTP/HTTP/HTTPS (download), rather
    ## than being prompted to insert a CD/DVD (volatile), in case they are available
    ## on both media.
    ##
    ##   Name             | Priority | URI
    ##   openSUSE-11.1      99         dvd:///
    ##   openSUSE-11.1-Oss  99         http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.
    1/repo/oss
    ##
    ## In the above example 2 repositories with similar content are used. Rather
    ## than raising the priority of one of them to 'prefer' a certain media, you
    ## should use the same priority for both and set download.media_preference
    ## instead.
    ##
    ## download.media_preference = download

Apart from the usual warnings and license approvals, I did get one dependency issue: "ibus-1.5.4-1.1.x86_64 conflicts with libreoffice-kde4 provided by libreoffice-kde4-4.1.2.3-1.1.x86_64". I'm not sure what caused that, but decided to play it safe and uninstall libreoffice KDE integration temporarily.
    That's on purpose.
    Apparently libreoffice-kde4 causes problems in combination with ibus.
    If you don't use ibus, you could uninstall that one of course (as I did).
    Anyway, without libreoffice-kde4 you don't miss much anyway (you won't get KDE file dialogs then...).
    And it has other problems as well. See here f.e.:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...drop-cell.html

First wrinkle: Grub still said 12.3. That was easily fixed with the Yast Boot Loader tool.
    Yes. That already was the case when upgrading from 12.2 to 12.3.
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=810055

Second wrinkle: I thought my nfs shares had gone, but it turned out that Network Manager had logged me into the wrong network - not sure what that was about. Anyway, as soon as I corrected that, the nfs shares were back.
    Hm, didn't happen here. No idea.

Third wrinkle: as expected, libreoffice had its native file dialogs, rather than the KDE ones. Fortunately, Yast Software Manager let me reinstall KDE integration without complaint - it seems that the dependency issue sorted itself out once the upgrade was complete.
    See above. Maybe you uninstalled ibus in the meantime? Or YaST uninstalled it automatically.

Not a wrinkle, but Apper was waiting for me with a long list of updates, which I duly approved.
    Well, the developers didn't stop working when the deadline for 13.1 was reached, but continued to fix bugs...
    The repos have been frozen 3 weeks ago, all fixes since then are released via the update repo.

And at least burn a DVD first in case of a power outage.
    Or use an USB stick...

Default Re: Touch wood, but seems like a smooth upgrade

On 2013-11-20 15:26, wolfi323 wrote:

>> And at least burn a DVD first in case of a power outage.

> Or use an USB stick...

Better download and copy to usb stick the "rescue cd" image, using xfce.
    It contains packages useful for repair, and does not contain things like
    office programs.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

A quick question here...
    I had 13.1 RC2 installed on my setup.(it is not a functioning server yet, I am still figuring out what and how I want to use it when done.)
    I just did a zypper up and zypper dup

zypper up run an update
    zypper dupe told me nothing to do

how do I know if I had updated/upgraded to the final version of 13.1.
    I did not change the repositories at all except adding the pacman repo. (I forgot to do this at initial setup)

Quote Originally Posted by vl1969 View Post
    Ahow do I know if I had updated/upgraded to the final version of 13.1.
    I did not change the repositories at all except adding the pacman repo. (I forgot to do this at initial setup)
    If there are no updates, you are at 13.1 final.
    There haven't been big changes between 13.1 RC2 and final.

But of course there already quite some updates in the update repo...

Default Re: AW: Touch wood, but seems like a smooth upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I only use the online repos, so can't really give you advice here, but there _is_ a setting whether to prefer online repos over the DVD in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf:
    Code:
    ##
    ## Hint which media to prefer when installing packages (download vs. CD).
    ##
    ## Valid values:        download, volatile
    ## Default value:       download
    ##
    ## Note that this just a hint. First of all the solver will choose the 'best'
    ## package according to its repos priority, version and architecture. But if
    ## there is a choice, we will prefer packages from the desired media.
    ##
    ## Packages available locally are always preferred. The question is whether
    ## you prefer packages being downloaded via FTP/HTTP/HTTPS (download), rather
    ## than being prompted to insert a CD/DVD (volatile), in case they are available
    ## on both media.
    ##
    ##   Name             | Priority | URI
    ##   openSUSE-11.1      99         dvd:///
    ##   openSUSE-11.1-Oss  99         http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.
    1/repo/oss
    ##
    ## In the above example 2 repositories with similar content are used. Rather
    ## than raising the priority of one of them to 'prefer' a certain media, you
    ## should use the same priority for both and set download.media_preference
    ## instead.
    ##
    ## download.media_preference = download
    Thanks for that - that's exactly what I needed. Actually, I was wondering if there's any purpose subscribing to the OSS and non-OSS repositories if I always keep a local copy of the iso file. You mention that they were frozen before the release.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Anyway, without libreoffice-kde4 you don't miss much anyway (you won't get KDE file dialogs then...). Maybe you uninstalled ibus in the meantime? Or YaST uninstalled it automatically.
    To each his own - I love the KDE dialogs - even installed the kludge to get Gimp to use them. Actually, there was an ibus keyboard icon in the taskbar, but it was ghosted. Maybe that's part of the problem you refer to.

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    Better download and copy to usb stick the "rescue cd" image, using xfce. It contains packages useful for repair, and does not contain things like
    office programs.
    Thanks. Great idea. I've been thinking about putting xfce back on my server. I have KDE now because I had a DVD lying around when I rebuilt it, but I notice it's pretty slow via ssh and vnc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thailandian View Post
    Thanks for that - that's exactly what I needed. Actually, I was wondering if there's any purpose subscribing to the OSS and non-OSS repositories if I always keep a local copy of the iso file. You mention that they were frozen before the release.
    Right, the standard oss and non-oss repos won't change anymore (already since Nov. 8th).
    All updates are delivered via the update and update-non-oss repos.

But the DVD doesn't contain _all_ packages that are in the standard online repo (for space reasons).
    So you might want to keep the online repo none-the-less.

To each his own - I love the KDE dialogs - even installed the kludge to get Gimp to use them. Actually, there was an ibus keyboard icon in the taskbar, but it was ghosted. Maybe that's part of the problem you refer to.
    I have no idea about that issue, I just had a look at ibus's spec file which has an explicit conflict with libreoffice-kde4 and a comment that there are problems when both are installed.
    I don't use ibus myself. I even uninstalled it after the upgrade to be able to keep libreoffice-kde4...

On 2013-11-20 17:16, Thailandian wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2599221 Wrote:
    >> Better download and copy to usb stick the "rescue cd" image, using xfce.
    >> It contains packages useful for repair, and does not contain things like
    >> office programs.

> Thanks. Great idea. I've been thinking about putting xfce back on my
    > server. I have KDE now because I had a DVD lying around when I rebuilt
    > it, but I notice it's pretty slow via ssh and vnc.

Wait, the XFCE image is not installable, it is a dedicated rescue
    system. If you want to install XFCE (as I do) you have to use the full
    DVD image.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2013-11-20 17:16, Thailandian wrote:

> Thanks for that - that's exactly what I needed. Actually, I was
    > wondering if there's any purpose subscribing to the OSS and non-OSS
    > repositories if I always keep a local copy of the iso file.

Yes, there is: the iso does not contain everything, not even half.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast