Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KDe connect

Default KDe connect

I’ve been trying and failing to use kde connect with an android device and a laptop. I’m running opensuse 13.1 on the laptop and android 4.1.1 on my phone. The problem is that the two devices are unable to see each other, at all. If I turn off the firewall, everything is peachy. The devices communicate and I can enjoy the almost magical experience that kde connect brings to the linux desktop. If I activate the firewall, nothing works. I’ve tried to go to firewall-allowed service-Advanced and enter a UDP and TCP range of 1714:1764, but still nothing. I’ve tried to add a custom rule for the same port range , for UDP and TCP, but still no action. I’ve even tried to have both rules in place, but sadly no success. I have rebooted after each attempt, just in case that might alter the outcome, but nothing ever works. Does anybody have any idea on what I need to do to get it working?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: KDe connect

Quote Originally Posted by nordlibris View Post
    I’ve been trying and failing to use kde connect with an android device and a laptop. I’m running opensuse 13.1 on the laptop and android 4.1.1 on my phone. The problem is that the two devices are unable to see each other, at all. If I turn off the firewall, everything is peachy. The devices communicate and I can enjoy the almost magical experience that kde connect brings to the linux desktop. If I activate the firewall, nothing works. I’ve tried to go to firewall-allowed service-Advanced and enter a UDP and TCP range of 1714:1764, but still nothing. I’ve tried to add a custom rule for the same port range , for UDP and TCP, but still no action. I’ve even tried to have both rules in place, but sadly no succes. s. I have rebooted after each attempt, just in case that might alter the outcome, but nothing ever works. Does anybody have any idea on what I need to do to get it working?
    So I would be happy to try and help as I have an Android phone, the latest openSUSE 13.1 installed and just installed kdeconnect-kde, but I don't know how to start the application from openSUSE. I have downloaded the same app on the Android phone.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: KDe connect

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So I would be happy to try and help as I have an Android phone, the latest openSUSE 13.1 installed and just installed kdeconnect-kde, but I don't know how to start the application from openSUSE. I have downloaded the same app on the Android phone.

Thank You,
    I don't think you need to manually start it - it should just be running as a background process (at least that is how it works for me in 12.3).
    But as nordlibris said, you'll need to disable your firewall for the phone to be able to connect (or work out how ot punch a hole in the firewall).

All I did was disable my firewall and went into the app on my phone and told it to sync. Got a popup in the systray on KDE asking me to approve it and away it went.

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    I don't think you need to manually start it - it should just be running as a background process (at least that is how it works for me in 12.3).
    But as nordlibris said, you'll need to disable your firewall for the phone to be able to connect (or work out how ot punch a hole in the firewall).

All I did was disable my firewall and went into the app on my phone and told it to sync. Got a popup in the systray on KDE asking me to approve it and away it went.
    in my opensuse 12.3 kdeconnect don't see devices at all firewall or not...:-)
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    in my opensuse 12.3 kdeconnect don't see devices at all firewall or not...:-)
    This might be a silly question, but have you installed the mobile component from the play store? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....kdeconnect_tp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post

Thank You,
    James,

1. You need to be on the same LAN, so the phone must use wifi
    2. Start the app on openSUSE
    3. Start the app on the phone, it will show your computer as hostname.domain
    4. Press it, press "Send pair request", accept it on the computer.
    5. Send a "Ping" through either device to check if it works.
    6. Have somebody call you, don't answer and see the magic happening.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    James,

After I install the app on openSUSE I was unable to determine its running. Don't know what I am looking for.

Thank You,

On 11/21/2013 10:56 AM, jdmcdaniel3 pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > Knurpht;2599773 Wrote:
    >> James,
    >>
    >> 1. You need to be on the same LAN, so the phone must use wifi
    >> 2. Start the app on openSUSE
    >> 3. Start the app on the phone, it will show your computer as
    >> hostname.domain
    >> 4. Press it, press "Send pair request", accept it on the computer.
    >> 5. Send a "Ping" through either device to check if it works.
    >> 6. Have somebody call you, don't answer and see the magic happening.

> After I install the app on openSUSE I was unable to determine its
    > running. Don't know what I am looking for.
    >
    > Thank You,
    >
    >

It is a widget that you need to add to your desktop.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    James,

yeeeaaa it woooorks.!!!!
    the tricks that solved has been first stop the firewall, second the phone and laptop must be in the same WAN not LAN, I don't know if I said it correctly but it means that my laptop was wired connected to the router and phones to the same router but wireless, and it doesn't works, when laptop was conncted wireless too it worked...
    many thanks :-) ciao :-) pier

PS, the only feature is to see if somebody calls you?? I see only that, ....I expected other controls...:-):-):-):-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    On 11/21/2013 10:56 AM, jdmcdaniel3 pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > Knurpht;2599773 Wrote:
    >> James,
    >>
    >> 1. You need to be on the same LAN, so the phone must use wifi
    >> 2. Start the app on openSUSE
    >> 3. Start the app on the phone, it will show your computer as
    >> hostname.domain
    >> 4. Press it, press "Send pair request", accept it on the computer.
    >> 5. Send a "Ping" through either device to check if it works.
    >> 6. Have somebody call you, don't answer and see the magic happening.

> After I install the app on openSUSE I was unable to determine its
    > running. Don't know what I am looking for.
    >
    > Thank You,
    >
    >

It is a widget that you need to add to your desktop.

Ken
    That Was the final Step I did not Understand, Thank You Very Much.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast