Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Repositories - What on Earth are they?!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wigan, UK
    Posts
    8

    Post Repositories - What on Earth are they?!

    Good Morning!

    This is my first post to the forums and I'm not sure if this question has been asked perviously, but can someone please explain to me what a repository is? I've almost been forced to move my laptop onto Opensuse as I was running Window's when my hard disk give up, but because I bought the laptop reconditioned direct from Toshiba, they didn't provide me with a Window's disc and refused to pay Micro$oft £135 for a replacement disc!!! I've had a little exposure to opensuse in the past but only for very basic use, but now I'm going to be running with it day to day.

    Just trying to get my head round installation of applications to enhance my experience, from what I have done so far I'm really impressed with the OS and wondering why the I didn't change sooner and of free will!

    I would consider myself relatively good with computers, struggle with some of the more technical aspects of computing, hence why I'm asking this question, any replies are greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,157

    Default Re: Repositories - What on Earth are they?!

    Repositories are collections of software packages (in RPM format) on the internet (or on your system, and also on the DVD you may have used to install your openSUSE).

    The standard openSUSE release is on the so called OSS and non-OSS repos. Security and recommended updates are on the Update-OSS and Update-non-OSS repos. We recommend to also add the Packman repo to your list of active repos (See the first three sticky threads in our Multimedia forum: https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...re/multimedia/). But we also warn you to add to many other repos, they may be incompatibel and give you problems (specialy for the beginner.

    You can see which repos you have available for software installation with YasT > Software > Software repositories (and of course you can manage the list there). YYou can also use
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    on the command line.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,157

    Default Re: Repositories - What on Earth are they?!

    BTW, a lot of documentation can be found here: Portal:Documentation - openSUSE
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Repositories - What on Earth are they?!

    On 2013-11-15 10:56, a davison wrote:
    >
    > Good Morning!
    >
    > This is my first post to the forums and I'm not sure if this question
    > has been asked perviously, but can someone please explain to me what a
    > repository is?


    A collection of software prepared by someone.

    That someone maybe openSUSE, or it may be a group of volunteers.

    Warning: you do not normally need to add any repository, zillions of
    packages are already available on the default repository setup you get
    when installing. You only need to add packman for multimedia (read the
    multimedia forum stickers).

    I mention this because often novices go into a clicking madness and add
    every repo in sight - the more repos you have, the more complex it
    becomes to maintain your system.

    Specially beware of repos with "home" in their name. Only install those
    when you know better :-)


    > I've almost been forced to move my laptop onto Opensuse
    > as I was running Window's when my hard disk give up, but because I
    > bought the laptop reconditioned direct from Toshiba, they didn't provide
    > me with a Window's disc and refused to pay Micro$oft £135 for a
    > replacement disc!!!


    My condolences, and welcome here ;-)


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Repositories - What on Earth are they?!

    Quote Originally Posted by a_davison View Post
    Good Morning!

    This is my first post to the forums and I'm not sure if this question has been asked perviously, but can someone please explain to me what a repository is? I've almost been forced to move my laptop onto Opensuse as I was running Window's when my hard disk give up, but because I bought the laptop reconditioned direct from Toshiba, they didn't provide me with a Window's disc and refused to pay Micro$oft £135 for a replacement disc!!! I've had a little exposure to opensuse in the past but only for very basic use, but now I'm going to be running with it day to day.

    Just trying to get my head round installation of applications to enhance my experience, from what I have done so far I'm really impressed with the OS and wondering why the I didn't change sooner and of free will!

    I would consider myself relatively good with computers, struggle with some of the more technical aspects of computing, hence why I'm asking this question, any replies are greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

    The individual software packages are contained in repositories (repos)
    There are main ones already present in your system from install, we call them default.
    Beyond default you should ideally stick to only adding Packman and libdvdcss as outlined here
    https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/ca...ion-guide-126/

    All the software you ever need should be more than catered for with this setup, all for free.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wigan, UK
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Repositories - What on Earth are they?!

    Thanks a lot it makes much more sense to me now. So far I haven't installed any repositories, so I will download the recommended multimedia ones and then stop until I actually know what I'm doing

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,157

    Default Re: Repositories - What on Earth are they?!

    Quote Originally Posted by a_davison View Post
    Thanks a lot it makes much more sense to me now. So far I haven't installed any repositories, so I will download the recommended multimedia ones and then stop until I actually know what I'm doing
    That is a good idea, but I am sorry to correct you. You download/install packages. The place where those packages come from are the repositories. You do not download repos, you subdscribe to them. This may seem a bit pedantic, but using the correct wording makes thing much easier for everybody.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wigan, UK
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Repositories - What on Earth are they?!

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    That is a good idea, but I am sorry to correct you. You download/install packages. The place where those packages come from are the repositories. You do not download repos, you subdscribe to them. This may seem a bit pedantic, but using the correct wording makes thing much easier for everybody.
    Feel free to correct ANYTHING that I say/do incorrectly. I thought I was pretty good with computers until I started using openSUSE and now I realise...I've been a Micro$oft monkey all along....sigh

    Also after consideration I think I might put the disc back in and start from square one just to make sure I've not gone click happy and accidently subscribed to repositories that I shouldn't have. I've got no personal data on my laptop yet so I wouldn't be losing anything but time!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: Repositories - What on Earth are they?!

    Quote Originally Posted by a_davison View Post
    Feel free to correct ANYTHING that I say/do incorrectly. I thought I was pretty good with computers until I started using openSUSE and now I realise...I've been a Micro$oft monkey all along....sigh

    Also after consideration I think I might put the disc back in and start from square one just to make sure I've not gone click happy and accidently subscribed to repositories that I shouldn't have. I've got no personal data on my laptop yet so I wouldn't be losing anything but time!
    That shouldn't be necessary. To see what you have, open a terminal and enter 'zypper lr -d'. This will show you a detailed list of your repos. If you need to remove any, use 'zypper rr <alias>'. You have a repository manager in YaST as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,157

    Default Re: Repositories - What on Earth are they?!

    Quote Originally Posted by chief_sealth View Post
    That shouldn't be necessary. To see what you have, open a terminal and enter 'zypper lr -d'. This will show you a detailed list of your repos. If you need to remove any, use 'zypper rr <alias>'. You have a repository manager in YaST as well.
    I supprt his. Reinstalling is so Micro$oft (as you express it). Using the tools (either YaST or zypper) teaches you much more. And when you are in doubt, start a new thread here.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •