I have
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64)
VERSION = 12.3
CODENAME = Dartmouth

On attempt to start some video file. e.g.: *.mkv or .mp4 I got this:
http://s7.postimg.org/qiksb9sob/snapshot3.png

Only black screen and this thing is gray and unavailable:
http://s22.postimg.org/59san48kt/snapshot4.png

I spent a lot of time trying to find the solution. I installed millions of codecs and players. VLC and SMPlayer works fine but not Kaffeine.
This one is configured as default player and I like interface of Kaffeine. Other players doesn’t load files to playlist automatically from current folder. It has usual shortcuts for me. And other stuff.

BTW where is the settings of Kaffeine what codecs to use and others? Is there log. I assume I can find some error message.

Thanks in advance.

Kaffeine uses the codecs which you can download through the Multimedia in One-click facility (http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_formats) - if you had gone to the Multimedia page, you would have found it.

I installed the codecs, but it didn’t help. It seems to be some other problem. Because when I ran Kaffeine first time it said “no codecs”. I don’t get pop-up “no codecs” now but the video-files are not played.

Please check this
https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/caf4926/opensuse-12-3-multi-media-restricted-format-installation-guide-126/

I use smplayer - it just works

First, Kaffeine uses libxine2 so make sure you have libxine2-codecs installed.

Then, what gfx card and driver are you using?
Maybe xine tries to use a video output module that doesn’t work on your system.
VAAPI can cause problems with radeon cards, so you should install something like libvdpau_r600 (depending on you card of course) so that xine can use VDPAU instead.

What output do you get when you run Kaffeine in a terminal window?

You can try to explicitely set a different output module in the file ~/.kde4/share/apps/kaffeine/xine-config, search for a line containing this and change it accordingly: (remove the leading ‘#’ for it to have effect)

#video.driver:auto

F.e. try:

video.driver:xshm

You can also try xine-ui, that one has a GUI for setting all the options (you have to increase the “experience level” though on the “gui” tab to have the video driver setting appear). The resulting config file can be used with Kaffeine as well, just copy it over:

cp ~/.xine/config ~/.kde4/share/apps/kaffeine/xine-config

Or create a symlink, then xine’s and Kaffeine’s settings are completely in sync:

ln -sf ~/.xine/config ~/.kde4/share/apps/kaffeine/xine-config

:wink:

On 2013-11-15 09:26, wolfi323 wrote:
>
> First, Kaffeine uses libxine2 so make sure you have libxine2-codecs
> installed.

Run “xine-check” in a terminal. But don’t trust it much.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Thank you, Guys, for your answers.

Already checked. Doesn’t help.

wolfi323](https://forums.opensuse.org/members/wolfi323.html)
I ran Kaffeine from terminal:

loco@digitalG:~> kaffeine
loco@digitalG:~> "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/KINGSTON_SV300S37A120G_50026B7738009388" : property "Drive" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Floppy_Drive" : property "Drive" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/WDC_WD5000AACS_00G8B1_WD_WCAUK0771585" : property "Drive" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/fd0" : property "Name" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Floppy_Drive" : property "DeviceNumber" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Floppy_Drive" : property "Device" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/KINGSTON_SV300S37A120G_50026B7738009388" : property "DeviceNumber" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/KINGSTON_SV300S37A120G_50026B7738009388" : property "Device" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/WDC_WD5000AACS_00G8B1_WD_WCAUK0771585" : property "DeviceNumber" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/WDC_WD5000AACS_00G8B1_WD_WCAUK0771585" : property "Device" does not exist 
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
vo_vdpau: Can't create vdp device : No vdpau implementation.
libva info: VA-API version 0.33.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1

Looks like I have a problem with libvdpau. I installed libvdpau_r600, but no result. Also I have libvdpau1

I don’t have ~/.kde4/share/apps/kaffeine folder. There is only ~/.kde4/share/apps/kconf_update

My xine doesn’t start

loco@digitalG:~> xine
xine: error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
xine: error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I’m not lucky :frowning:

So what gfx card do you have?

Kaffeine/xine tries to use VAAPI but fails.

Apparently you have the fglrx driver installed, right?
Then libvdpau_r600 won’t work AFAIK.

I don’t have ~/.kde4/share/apps/kaffeine folder. There is only ~/.kde4/share/apps/kconf_update

Well, just create that folder and the file xine-config in there with the content I suggested.

My xine doesn’t start

You seem to have xine-ui from an older openSUSE version (12.2 maybe?).
Install the one from 12.3:

sudo zypper in -f xine-ui-0.99.7-5.1.2

Then it should work.

And maybe post your repo list, because with the correct repos you shouldn’t have that older version.

zypper lr -d

I don’t know how but I successfully installed Kaffeine 0.8.8 (Kaffeine which is not working is 1.2.2) and it works.
I checked the repos and found out that my packman repo is old. I updated the repo.
I think the issue is solved, I don’t want to mess with it further.