Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incorrect volume range for audio devices

Default Re: Incorrect volume range for audio devices

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    I was just curious if this is an intended change and why it was done if so. From your answer, I understand it's intended and not a bug.
    Well, it is an intended change in openSUSE's default config.
    I don't know how _supported_ that is by KMix's developers. It still seems to be an experimental feature, because you explicitely have to edit the config file and cannot switch it on/off in the GUI (and normally it is turned _off_ by default).

If you find it wrong that this is turned on by default in openSUSE, you should consider filing a bug at http://bugzilla.novell.com/ (same username/password as here).

So why was it defaulted, out of curiosity and to get a better understanding of how things work? And why 153%, what makes that represent a good maximum volume in PulseAudio's view?
    As I said, the general feature and the 153% come from PulseAudio itself. KMix has just been changed to support that as well. And apparently that support is not quite finished/official yet.
    Changing the default to on in KMix was the openSUSE packager's decision. I guess to be able to use the "full" 153% also with KMix.

But in the end, that percentage value is just a number. Does it really matter whether you set the volume to 100% out of 153%, or 66% out of 100%?
    Actually the latter even makes more sense, one could argue...

Default Re: Incorrect volume range for audio devices

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    I was just curious if this is an intended change and why it was done if so. From your answer, I understand it's intended and not a bug.
    Well, it is an intended change in openSUSE's default config.
    I don't know how _supported_ that is by KMix's developers. It still seems to be an experimental feature, because you explicitely have to edit the config file and cannot switch it on/off in the GUI (and normally it is turned _off_ by default).

If you find it wrong that this is turned on by default in openSUSE, you should consider filing a bug at http://bugzilla.novell.com/ (same username/password as here).

So why was it defaulted, out of curiosity and to get a better understanding of how things work? And why 153%, what makes that represent a good maximum volume in PulseAudio's view?
    As I said, the general feature and the 153% come from PulseAudio itself. KMix has just been changed to support that as well. And apparently that support is not quite finished/official yet.
    Changing the default to on in KMix was the openSUSE packager's decision.

But in the end, that percentage value is just a number. Does it really matter whether you set the volume to 100% out of 153%, or 66% out of 100%.
    Actually the latter even makes more sense, one could argue...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12