Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Java repositories?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    168

    Default Java repositories?

    Hi,
    my apologies if this isn't the right forum for this post. Please let me know if it's wrong.
    I have the OS 12.3 & have the Java Package repositories defined, as listed here: Package repositories - openSUSE
    Recently Yast has started complaining about the repository, and when I visit the sites, only the Factory version exists.

    Am I safe using the Factory repository in place of the 12.3 version?
    Have these repositories moved elsewhere?
    ????

    Thanks
    David

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Java repositories?

    On 2013-11-01 12:56, jetojedno wrote:

    > Am I safe using the Factory repository in place of the 12.3 version?


    No, certainly not.

    > Have these repositories moved elsewhere?
    > ????


    Or disappeared. That wiki page is wrong.

    Use the opensuse search package facility to find out if the packages are
    elsewhere.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Java repositories?

    Quote Originally Posted by jetojedno View Post
    Hi,
    my apologies if this isn't the right forum for this post. Please let me know if it's wrong.
    I have the OS 12.3 & have the Java Package repositories defined, as listed here: Package repositories - openSUSE
    Recently Yast has started complaining about the repository, and when I visit the sites, only the Factory version exists.

    Am I safe using the Factory repository in place of the 12.3 version?
    Have these repositories moved elsewhere?
    ????

    Thanks
    David
    Java repo's have been removed and you do not mix factory repo's with openSUSE 12.3. Please read the following page link:

    SDB:Installing Java - openSUSE

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: Java repositories?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Java repo's have been removed and you do not mix factory repo's with openSUSE 12.3. Please read the following page link:

    SDB:Installing Java - openSUSE,
    What's happened to openjdk? Is Oracle making new claims on it?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Java repositories?

    Quote Originally Posted by chief_sealth View Post
    What's happened to openjdk? Is Oracle making new claims on it?
    ???
    OpenJDK is in the standard OSS/OSS-update repos and Factory. The devel project is Java:openjdk6:Factory btw.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Java repositories?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    ???
    OpenJDK is in the standard OSS/OSS-update repos and Factory. The devel project is Java:openjdk6:Factory btw.
    openjdk is still there and you get it by default. Oracle Java was a manual add and can not be a openSUSE repo now.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: Java repositories?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    openjdk is still there and you get it by default. Oracle Java was a manual add and can not be a openSUSE repo now.
    Oracle Java was always manual AFAIK. I'm not clear on what these Java repositories are, or were.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Java repositories?

    Quote Originally Posted by chief_sealth View Post
    Oracle Java was always manual AFAIK. I'm not clear on what these Java repositories are, or were.
    No, Sun's Java (which _is_ Oracle Java now after Oracle bought up Sun) _was_ included in the standard distro years ago and even installed by default. (OpenJDK doesn't exist _that_ long, only since 2007)

    As to what was in those Java:packages repos I have no idea. But that repo for Factory (see the first post) doesn't contain a Java VM, just additional packages.

    And OpenJDK is in the Java:openjdk6:Factory repo as already mentioned.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Java repositories?

    On 2013-11-01 22:36, wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    > chief_sealth;2595025 Wrote:
    >> Oracle Java was always manual AFAIK. I'm not clear on what these Java
    >> repositories are, or were.

    > No, Sun's Java (which _is_ Oracle Java now after Oracle bought up Sun)
    > _was_ included in the standard distro years ago and even installed by
    > default.


    Correct. Versions after certain release simply could not be hosted by
    any one because Oracle changed the redistribution license - I have no
    idea why, because the result is that the majority of Linux people is now
    using other versions of Java instead.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Java repositories?

    Just a heads up:
    The Java:packages repo has been re-enabled for 12.3 now, although it will still take a while to build all the packages.
    Since there are ~190 of them, this could take a few hours, maybe a day.
    You can check the progress here: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/Java:packages

    So it's not necessary to continue using the repo for Factory anymore...

    Reference: [Bug 849437] http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Java:/packages/op

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •