Thread: Running applications from Home directory...

Default Running applications from Home directory...

This is actually something I wanted to discuss some time ago...

Back on Windows I used to run some programs or applications directly from My Documents, or any other of my personal directories. The idea was to handle those programs as "portable" applications, without installation needed. I put the entire program's folder on, say, My Documents, and used the executable to run. I liked to do this mainly with games and emulators, and also sometimes other miscellaneous programs. In fact, that's the way most console emulators actually come, for example. Just download and run.

Of course I didn't expect to do it with all programs. A MS Office? Heck, even I have a bit of common sense. Maybe it could be possible, but I don't think it would be orthodox. Heavy programs not only copy files to Program Files, could also install registry files, drivers, or unknown kind of files... I remember there are probably even programs to make an installed app portable.

Now I'm eager to try it on Linux. I've already tried 2 of this kind of applications: pSX Emulator (Linux version, tried it long ago...) and Scilab (I'm actually a bit surprised with this one, it felt like paradise...). But I'm wondering if the same can be done on Linux, trying with for example, pcsxr, which comes with Packman repository. If it's just an executable, could I look for it in /usr/bin and copy to ~/bin or any other home directory, before uninstalling?
    And in the case of programs that require dependencies, would it be a matter of copying executable and all dependencies?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Running applications from Home directory...

Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    This is actually something I wanted to discuss some time ago...

Back on Windows I used to run some programs or applications directly from My Documents, or any other of my personal directories. The idea was to handle those programs as "portable" applications, without installation needed. I put the entire program's folder on, say, My Documents, and used the executable to run. I liked to do this mainly with games and emulators, and also sometimes other miscellaneous programs. In fact, that's the way most console emulators actually come, for example. Just download and run.

Of course I didn't expect to do it with all programs. A MS Office? Heck, even I have a bit of common sense. Maybe it could be possible, but I don't think it would be orthodox. Heavy programs not only copy files to Program Files, could also install registry files, drivers, or unknown kind of files... I remember there are probably even programs to make an installed app portable.

Now I'm eager to try it on Linux. I've already tried 2 of this kind of applications: pSX Emulator (Linux version, tried it long ago...) and Scilab (I'm actually a bit surprised with this one, it felt like paradise...). But I'm wondering if the same can be done on Linux, trying with for example, pcsxr, which comes with Packman repository. If it's just an executable, could I look for it in /usr/bin and copy to ~/bin or any other home directory, before uninstalling?
    And in the case of programs that require dependencies, would it be a matter of copying executable and all dependencies?

Thanks in advance.
    The short answer is you can run applications from your home area. The basic problems is they don't install there using YaST and when installed in home, no other user, if they exist, can use it. And, who ever wrote the program is not trying to get it to work in your home area by default. Programs you compile yourself are most likely to work in home. Using YaST, you can find all dependent files, moving them to where ever you want to see if it will work, but I think it will be a mixed bag myself.

Good Luck in what ever you try to do.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Running applications from Home directory...

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 21:26:02 +0000, F style wrote:

> But I'm wondering if the same can be done on Linux, trying with for
    > example, pcsxr, which comes with Packman repository. If it's just an
    > executable, could I look for it in /usr/bin and copy to ~/bin or any
    > other home directory, before uninstalling?

Sure, just make sure it's flagged executable and that ~/bin is in your
    path.

With RPM packaged files, it's a bit trickier, though. The --relocate
    parameter to the rpm command may help, but I've never tried it myself.

Not sure why you'd want to take an executable that's in /usr/bin and move
    it, though. Is there a particular reason you'd want to do this?

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On 2013-10-26 23:26, F style wrote:
    >
    > This is actually something I wanted to discuss some time ago...
    >
    > Back on Windows I used to run some programs or applications directly
    > from My Documents, or any other of my personal directories. The idea was
    > to handle those programs as "portable" applications, without
    > installation needed. I put the entire program's folder on, say, My
    > Documents, and used the executable to run. I liked to do this mainly
    > with games and emulators, and also sometimes other miscellaneous
    > programs. In fact, that's the way most console emulators actually come,
    > for example. Just download and run.

> But I'm wondering if the same can be done on Linux, trying
    > with for example, pcsxr, which comes with Packman repository. If it's
    > just an executable, could I look for it in /usr/bin and copy to ~/bin or
    > any other home directory, before uninstalling?
    > And in the case of programs that require dependencies, would it be a
    > matter of copying executable and all dependencies?

Nope, you can not do that.

Typical Linux programs are compiled to look for things in certain
    directories. This is not configurable once the program has been compiled
    and packaged. Those directories are written in stone, you can not change
    them.

(maybe with chroot...)

You can, however, sometimes, download the sources, modify the paths in
    the sources (configure or Makefile file), and then do a local install on
    your home. And not Documents, but bin.

Things change, typically, if the program is a java program. Or a
    proprietary one with install program. Or scripts. Read their
    instructions then to find out where you can install those.

Some are relocatable.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

I have several small programmes just running from my home directory. Some of them are just one file and placed in /home/name/bin, others placed in self created directories below home (programmes, games etc), but I have usually also linked them to bin.
    I find that I usually get what information about dependencies I need when launching them from the terminal, if I have initial trouble running the software.

I ran a Playstation emulator earlier which I installed under home (dowloading and extracting I believe) as it worked better for me than the one available in the repoes at that time, can't remember the names now.
    I have also installed rather large commercial (Linux) games under home in the past, Never Winter Nights to mention one.
    Currently, I have several additional audio apps and plug-ins, some java apps (GnuBridge and GHAM) and an audio player called Audio Overload, for playing .ym files (Amstrad CPC/Spectrum ZX/Atari ST), installed under home.

Olav
    OpenSuSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.5, 64bit
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX8350, MSI GeForce GTX 760, RME HDSP9632, 16GB HyperX Kingston DDR3, Samsung 840-Pro SSD 128GB, WD Desktop Black 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 750GB