Nvidia drivers on Opensuse 13.1 (RC)

Hi guys

I have been trying to install the proprietary Nvidia graphics drivers on my 13.1 install but I just can’t get it to work. I have a Geforce 6 series card and have tried installing them ‘the hard way’ only to find that I keep getting errors about nouveau not being blacklisted (which I’ve done) and an X session already being active (which I keep quitting). Can someone please just give me a simple, step by step guide to getting the drivers installed. It’s driving me crazy. I’m not a Linux noob but I have never installed the Nvidia drivers manually as I am just transitioning over to Opensuse from Linux Mint. As much as I love Mint, Ubuntu seem hell-bent on going their own way, splintering off from the larger community and leaving Ubuntu-based distros in the lurch. Please someone help.

Many thanks

Until nVIDIA comes out with a newer driver, the main line version does not work with kernel 3.11 or 3.12. I have had good luck with the open source driver which works well for me. You can stick with openSUSE 12.3 and use kernel 3.10 if you want the proprietary video driver to work.

For the latest kernel and open source video driver, look here: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/opensuse-installing-new-linux-kernel-versions-134/

And on Installing the latest nVIDIA driver I have a blog here: Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Well, there is a patch floating around which makes the 304.108 driver (which you need for GeForce 6) work with kernel 3.11:
SlackBlogs: Linux Kernel 3.11, VMWare Workstation, and NVidia Legacy Drivers

I downloaded this modified run script. It worked great.
[FONT=arial]https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqzoqt6a70sz1h6/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-325.15-custom.run
Hope it works for all.[/FONT]

No, this won’t work for the OP, since he has a GeForce 6 series card which is not supported by any nvidia driver version higher than 304.xxx.

Well, if it does work as advertised, it’s a good thing Miwurker posted it, since a lot of people with NVidia cards and SUSE 13.1 will be looking at this thread for a solution before a working version is made available through OBS. I’ll try it out on my 660 tomorrow and post the results on this thread.
The patched script originates from this thread:

I thought I heard or read somewhere that Nvidia was going to finally “play nice” and work with the Linux community. Has this happened yet? If not, how long before this new and friendlier Nvidia comes through as promised? I can’t use some programs that need the Nvidia driver and this is driving me crazy. Any word on how long before they come out with a new driver that works? If I find out from Nvidia, I’ll report back.

I can confirm that it works on a GTX 660. However, I’m still getting some OpenGL rendering issues, such as tearing and blurry text, and OpenGL 3 doesn’t work at all.

NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.20.run works for me, installs fine, Ran it one time to disable the Neavau drivers, rebooted and ran it again to install the Nvidia drivers. Running RC2 x_64.
Jack

For older Cards, there is a 304.1160 driver, witch works with kernel 3.11.

I got: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-319.17.run

to work, but the frames (fps) just stinks. I am on the road and can’t afford to try this newer version, in case it blows me up, but are they gaining any ground on improving the performance in Linux? I just tried to fun “World of Tanks” in Playonlinux. This game is rock solid on my desktop, but on the laptop it is a little older and the fps is down around 14fps. Which makes it unplayable. I wished I still had my windows to compare and see if it is much better with windows, but I suspect it is.

Why this old version, and not the latest one (331.20) or the RPMs from the nvidia repo (319.32 atm)? :wink:

to work, but the frames (fps) just stinks. I am on the road and can’t afford to try this newer version, in case it blows me up, but are they gaining any ground on improving the performance in Linux? I just tried to fun “World of Tanks” in Playonlinux. This game is rock solid on my desktop, but on the laptop it is a little older and the fps is down around 14fps. Which makes it unplayable. I wished I still had my windows to compare and see if it is much better with windows, but I suspect it is.

There should be no difference between windows and Linux, since most of the driver code is exactly the same (it is operating system independent).

What graphics card does your Laptop have? The 319.xx driver doesn’t support older chips… (as I already mentioned here)

Are you sure the driver is correctly installed and in use?
Install the package “Mesa-demo-x” and run “glxinfo | grep render” to check, and/or have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Well the one I got was the latest when I did it. Prior it blew up the computer. Prior to the last month or so, I have never had a problem updating the video using runlevel 3 and the nvidia.run files. After I borked the system, it was a major pain to get back, and I had heard it was not working with the new kernel, so I was hesitant to go to the latest in case it was gonna bork it again.

Well to be fair, Nvidia has not “played nice” with Linux forever. I hear this is going to change. I do not know how this translates into hardware acceleration. But it seems to me that it has never been as good as it is in winbloze. I have not taken a machine and done benchmarks head to head to prove or dispove my impressions though. Perhaps it is just time to upgrade to newer hardware.

It is an old Dell running the GeForce 8600M GT video card.

I’m SURE it is running. I get the Nvidia logo upon xwindows firing up and I can run the nvidia-settings program, which will NOT work if the driver is not loading.

I just went and looked and the 64-319.17.run file is the latest that is coming up on their website for this card. It is dated May 02/2013. Am I missing something?

Unix Drivers | NVIDIA

The 319.17 is not even listed there anymore…

You should try the 325.15 one, the 8600M GT is not listed as supported for the latest 331.20.

OK, so apparently the driver is loaded.
But that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s fully working, including direct rendering and 3D acceleration.

The 319.17 is not even listed there anymore…

You should try the 325.15 one, the 8600M GT is not listed as supported for the latest 331.20.

319.17:
NVIDIA DRIVERS Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver
I think, this one will not work with Kernel 3.11.

But I would try the latest 304.1160, this one is build for Kernel 3.11 and working.
NVIDIA DRIVERS Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver

NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search

Thank you for the links. That is very weird! I did a google search for Nvidia drivers and went to the main Nvidia driver section. I selected my card, and got what I mentioned above. I went to the site you posted, and it appears to be a legit Nvidia website, but came up with a whole different batch of newer drivers. ?? It seems they need to do a better job of keeping their websites integrated and up to date. I will try this newest driver and see what happens.

I believe playonlinux and COD4, and World of tanks will not even load if hardware acceleration is not working. Maybe someone else can say. Maybe in the next few days if I have time, I’ll go see if I haven’t thrown out my Mickeysoft ****. If not, I can put a spare driver in the computer and tinker around and do some benchmarking with both OS’s. Thanks for your help.

I am really curious to know exactly what browser you are using please and do you have isp in US or using google dns?

I just tried to download the driver and it just occurred to me this is a german site. I’m unable to read german, so not sure what buttons to even click, but my fear is, that should I be successful, will my nvidia-settings program be in german too? Where can I get the english version of this latest driver, anyone know? I’m still looking and if I find it will report back.

I am using Firefox 23.0 for Opensuse 12.3.

I AM using an ISP in the US, and NOT using google for DNS. I’m using Cox.net, which has it’s own DNS servers.