Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Using Microsoft Office Macros in Libre Office

  1. #1

    Default Using Microsoft Office Macros in Libre Office

    I am involved in a national project which is heavily dependant for the reporting on a style guide used in Microsoft Word, it is Murphy's Law that said style guide encounters problems with different versions of Word. In order to try and bypass these problems I suggested that we look at the possibility of adapting the style guide for use in Libre Office.
    The immediate problem one encounters is that macros in Word are written in Visual Basic whereas Libre Office uses LibreOffice Basic and has very restricted ability to run visual basic.
    In an ideal world some clever person would have written a program to convert visual basic to LibreOffice basic!
    As it is over 30 years since I last wrote programs, in BBC Basic for the 'BBC Computers' ,and things have changed a lot since then, I was looking for a book which might help me translate visual basic into LibreOffice basic.
    So far the only book I have found is a guide to OpenOffice Basic. As Libre Office has developed out of Open Office I wondered if the basic would be the same?
    I know that there are guides available on line but I find them difficult to use due to the lack of the detailed examples which you often find in a book!
    I have a text copy of the details which come up when you try to edit the original Word macro and while I can grasp what the details do I have so far been unable work out how it does it!
    Any assistance or advice gratefully received.

    merkland

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Using Microsoft Office Macros in Libre Office

    merkland wrote:
    >
    > I am involved in a national project which is heavily dependant for the
    > reporting on a style guide used in Microsoft Word, it is Murphy's Law
    > that said style guide encounters problems with different versions of
    > Word. In order to try and bypass these problems I suggested that we look
    > at the possibility of adapting the style guide for use in Libre Office.
    > The immediate problem one encounters is that macros in Word are written
    > in Visual Basic whereas Libre Office uses LibreOffice Basic and has very
    > restricted ability to run visual basic.
    > In an ideal world some clever person would have written a program to
    > convert visual basic to LibreOffice basic!
    > As it is over 30 years since I last wrote programs, in BBC Basic for the
    > 'BBC Computers' ,and things have changed a lot since then, I was looking
    > for a book which might help me translate visual basic into LibreOffice
    > basic.
    > So far the only book I have found is a guide to OpenOffice Basic. As
    > Libre Office has developed out of Open Office I wondered if the basic
    > would be the same?
    > I know that there are guides available on line but I find them difficult
    > to use due to the lack of the detailed examples which you often find in
    > a book!
    > I have a text copy of the details which come up when you try to edit the
    > original Word macro and while I can grasp what the details do I have so
    > far been unable work out how it does it!
    > Any assistance or advice gratefully received.
    >
    > merkland
    >
    >

    LibreOffice 3 Basic Guide
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/99684510/8...With-Variables
    LibreOffice Basic Help https://help.libreoffice.org/Basic/Basic_Help

    OpenOffice basic should work in LibreOffice
    Detailed examples :-
    http://api.libreoffice.org/examples/...Basic_examples
    --
    GNOME 3.6.2
    openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,452

    Default Re: Using Microsoft Office Macros in Libre Office

    VB Code has no effect in OpenOffice/LibreOffice but you can load and save documents without affecting the code - see Tools>Options>Load/Save>VBA Properties

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,368
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Using Microsoft Office Macros in Libre Office

    A thought and some advice

    IMO you're just throwing good effort over bad when you're talking about trying to standardize on Word "styling." Although not unique to Microsoft, it's one of the major differentiators that separates MS products from others. MS needs to continually evolve styling and styles particularly in how styles are rendered to motivate people to pay for MS products.

    So, I instead recommend that you consider converting everything to HTML. Default Word on Windows has variable support (older none) for HTML, but all Office Word since... 2005? supports HTML formats and should be universally supported in most major Office alternatives like Libre/Open Office.

    Plus, if you have anyone truly geeky in your organization it will enable anyone to modify using standard CSS and HTML tool.

    IMO,
    TSU

  5. #5

    Default Re: Using Microsoft Office Macros in Libre Office

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    A thought and some advice

    IMO you're just throwing good effort over bad when you're talking about trying to standardize on Word "styling." Although not unique to Microsoft, it's one of the major differentiators that separates MS products from others. MS needs to continually evolve styling and styles particularly in how styles are rendered to motivate people to pay for MS products.

    So, I instead recommend that you consider converting everything to HTML. Default Word on Windows has variable support (older none) for HTML, but all Office Word since... 2005? supports HTML formats and should be universally supported in most major Office alternatives like Libre/Open Office.

    Plus, if you have anyone truly geeky in your organization it will enable anyone to modify using standard CSS and HTML tool.

    IMO,
    TSU
    tsu2,

    I am not sure that we are both on the same 'wavelength' possibly because I have not explained things very well so I will attempt to do better.
    The project is being conducted by a volunteer organisation and involves recording all aspects of the interiors of certain historic buildings. The records have to be made to a strict format and in the same order for every building examined. As the work is being carried out by volunteers, who are mainly retired and elderly with limited computer skills, the "Style Guide" was produced to provide an easy way of recording the information obtained in a consistent way by everyone involved.
    The "Style Guide" was produced some years ago in what was the prevalent word processor package Microsoft Word. Problems have arisen because each time someone gets a new computer it can have a different version of Word and no two versions of Word handle templates/macros in exactly the same way. This means that we elderly volunteers are experiencing grief and hassle in trying to carry out what should be a useful and enjoyable pastime.
    My hope was to be able to adapt the "Style Guide" so it would work in Open Office/Libre Office which seem to provide more stable and consistent ways of working from version to version.
    Existing records which have been completed in Word can be opened in Libre Office, and display correctly, but records cannot be extended because the individual macros do not work.
    I was interested in your suggestion to convert everything to HTML and would like to know more about how it is done and if it would still provide the same functionality.

    merkland.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,452

    Default Re: Using Microsoft Office Macros in Libre Office

    It sounds as if, in the long term, you may have to convert the macros to LibreOffice macros; you would obviously have to convert your volunteers into LibreOffice users but if you could do that and give them a LibreOffice template on which to work in future, you could then go back and convert the earlier documents over time.

    An alternative would be to change the format completely. It sounds as if the data would be better in a database. If so, it might be possible to set up a number of tables for text input in a Word/LibreOffice document and then convert the data to CSV.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Using Microsoft Office Macros in Libre Office

    On 2013-10-24 22:46, john hudson wrote:
    >
    > It sounds as if, in the long term, you may have to convert the macros to
    > LibreOffice macros; you would obviously have to convert your volunteers
    > into LibreOffice users but if you could do that and give them a
    > LibreOffice template on which to work in future, you could then go back
    > and convert the earlier documents over time.


    Rather, and more feasible, is let each volunteer choose his program, as
    they are doing now (different versions of Word). And provide a "style
    guide" in Libre Office format so that they can also choose Libre office.

    That's what the OP proposed.

    I think that the problem then is engaging a volunteer to translate the
    macros.

    >
    > An alternative would be to change the format completely. It sounds as if
    > the data would be better in a database. If so, it might be possible to
    > set up a number of tables for text input in a Word/LibreOffice document
    > and then convert the data to CSV.


    But you can not do that to volunteers using their own computers, each
    one with different Windows version and little computer skills. The hope
    is to allow those that wish to also use Linux for the same task.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •