digiKam - Custom File Renaming

I have version 3.2.0 of digiKam on OpenSUSE 12.3 and I can’t seem to get the custom file renaming options to work. I had updated my system and got the latest from Update and still no help. I had explicitly copied the format over from my 12.1 system and it made no difference. With the old system, when using the camera download window settings, if you click on Camera filenames, it shows the filenames on the thumbnails. If you change the case to lower, it will lowercase them, and if you click on custom, it will change them to the custom format right then on all the thumbnails. This doesn’t happen on the new system. Thinking it might be an issue with displaying them, I downloaded the images anyway and they were all named with the camera filenames. It seems to ignore any file renaming options.

Thinking many others must be having this issue, I tried searching but have not found any other posts about it. So maybe I may have something not set up correctly, but it sure seems to me it is acting differently than when I boot to the old system.

I like putting the date and a sequential number for my names. ([date:“yyyy-MM-dd”]_####) But even if I just put random names and sequence numbers, it makes no difference. It’s still uses the names from the camera. I wonder if someone could try the custom naming out for me and see if it works for them?

Hi,

It works here, but stops after a random series of photo’s. Using F2 in an album, which triggers the same dialog. Consider reporting a bug at http://bugs.kde.org

dt30
Custom renaming was broken in digikam 3.2.
Try ver 3.4.0 which is in the 4.11 repos, it mostly works now.

There is still a glitch with the renaming, which adds an unnecessary xxx_1.ext when the {unique} renaming attribute is used.

I did not know about the F2 renaming after retrieving them. Thanks.

I found the 4.11 repo but cannot use it on dialup as the appdata in the repodata is 22MB. By the time I download that, it could be updated. So I skipped the repo and downloaded the digikam rpm with a download manager and when I tried to install it, it asked for libkface.so. It’s 6MB. I’ve been there, done that before and suspect once I download it, another file will be asked for. If this is going to be multi-megabytes, I’ll have to go to the library, but will need to know all the files I need.

Under OpenSUSE 12.1 the software installer had a solver chart which showed which files each package needed to update. In 12.3 when I click to show solver information, I get a dialog which says, Package libqdialogsolver is required for this feature. Well, I already have libqdialogsolver1 installed. Any help with that?

That doesn’t work here either on 12.3, it’s a known bug.

Regarding your original problem, you could also use “krename” for renaming your files. :wink: That one is included in the standard openSUSE repo, but it isn’t installed by default.

Several unknown known bugs becoming known to me. I had thought trying to update my system would fix some of them. I had thought anything like that would have been fixed by now. Is it hard to fix? I mean, it was working so seems to me from 12.1 or 12.2 to 12.3 the error would be something simple or overlooked that could be fixed with minimal work? I must be missing something here.

Regarding your original problem, you could also use “krename” for renaming your files. :wink: That one is included in the standard openSUSE repo, but it isn’t installed by default.
Speaking of missing something, that’s fantastic! I didn’t even know I didn’t know about it. While pressing F2 in digikam may work for my purposes of the photos, I know of other times I wish I knew about krename. With the power of that, looks like I’ll have to spend some time before I need something more capable.

I had looked for the libqdialogsolver error before but didn’t find anything that seemed helpful. I suppose I could have browsed through the bug list and found it. But how do I find out about programs like krename that I do not know exists? There are most likely many other programs I would find useful, but how do I find out about them if I don’t know they exist? I’m thinking about when I stumbled across K3B, the disk burning program. The letters, K3B, mean nothing to me, but the program sure is useful. I don’t recall how I found it, but if I saw a list of program names, I would have skipped right over the name. With krename, I probably would have guessed what it did. I guess what I’m asking is there some list of programs which are listed by category, function, or some way of what they do? Some sort of list that would explain why I would want to install K3B, krename, or unknown program?

I could ask on the forum if there is some program that does such and such. But what if I don’t know I want such a program? For example, while I do know what the idea for Cron jobs are, but if I didn’t and looked through the program list and come across kcron, I read through the description and find it is a Cron job configuration tool. That’s not helpful if I didn’t know what cron was for. This would be something which I may find useful but didn’t know I would find it useful. Is there something, and I don’t even know what I’m asking for, but something which would list them, tell why someone would use them, and list alternatives. For instance, krename could list an alternative of the command-line “mv”, and then give the reasons one would use one or the other. Of course, this wouldn’t be on the software install list, but somewhere on the website so people who don’t know they haven’t a clue could look for things they are missing out on. Then again, there is some such list and I don’t know about it…

Well, I mixed it up with a different bug (storage graph missing in YaST->Partitioner) that got fixed, but there the problem was just that the needed package wasn’t installed by default.
I have to look if that one is already reported as well, if not I will do it. At least the bug exists since the beginning in 12.3 and still is there in 13.1 Beta1.

Speaking of missing something, that’s fantastic! I didn’t even know I didn’t know about it. While pressing F2 in digikam may work for my purposes of the photos, I know of other times I wish I knew about krename. With the power of that, looks like I’ll have to spend some time before I need something more capable.

I guess what I’m asking is there some list of programs which are listed by category, function, or some way of what they do? Some sort of list that would explain why I would want to install K3B, krename, or unknown program?

Well, you can browse the packages by category in YaST->Software Management or Apper.

For KDE programs there’s KDE - The KDE applications and Applications for your KDE-Desktop - KDE-Apps.org, and I guess there are similar lists all over the Internet.

So this already has been reported a year ago, I knew I had seen a bug report somewhere! :wink:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=785431

I don’t know why it hasn’t been fixed yet though. Shouldn’t be too hard, only the check if “libqdialogsolver” is installed seems to be wrong (the package is called “libqdialogsolver1” now) and it did work on 12.2.
Apparently nobody cares or this has been just forgotten…

On 2013-10-08 17:06, wolfi323 wrote:

> So this already has been reported a year ago, I knew I had seen a bug
> report somewhere! :wink:
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=785431
>
> I don’t know why it hasn’t been fixed yet, shouldn’t be too hard, only

That bug report seems to be about YaST, not about a wrong package, even
if it is mentioned.

At least the /component/ is YaST.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

Yes, of course.
When you select “Show solver information” in YaST (in the Qt-Version, the Gtk-Version doesn’t seem to have this feature), only a dialog is displayed with the Error message “Missing package. Package libqdialogsolver is required for this feature.”.

I don’t know if there’s really a package missing in the repo or that check is wrong (there’s only libqdialogsolver1), but it is a YaST bug in either way.

On 2013-10-09 07:56, wolfi323 wrote:

> I don’t know if there’s really a package missing in the repo or that
> check is wrong (there’s only libqdialogsolver1), but it is a YaST bug
> in either way.

I see…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

dt30:
Watch carefully as you navigate the toolbar menus in digikam and you will see the “Hot Key” equivalents on the right side of the pop-up, if one exists.
For example, selecting Image on the toolbar pops up a menu, the second row of which is Rename on the left and F2 on the right.
There are so many it is sort of impossible to remember for a casual user, but this serves as a quick in-session reminder.

Note that I believe you can also use batch renaming with digikam 3.2.
What was broken was the interface between the file importer and the rename applet, not the rename applet itself
Select images for renaming, then Tools-Batch Queue Manager or Hot Key “B”.
Experiment with the batch manager - very useful for many digikam rework activities.

I think I would avoid renaming a file outside the application, remember that digikam is managing a database and you might break it or create a bunch of orphan data. Renaming within the application keeps the database synched up as well as any custom tag relationships you may have created. You won’t lose your image, but you may lose some tag related work and modification relationships.
Digikam scans each managed folder for new (i.e. not previously seen /managed) files on startup, which can slow down the startup process if there are several at once.

If you always want the latest version of digikam, I suggest to switch to using the latest “upstream” (not factory) KDE repository, at the moment KDE 4.11 providing KDE 4.11.2. Digikam builds heavily on underlying KDE components and usually a new release of digikam appears first in that KDE repo.

If you can spare the bandwidth, sign up to participate in the digikam mailing list, LINK
Lots of traffic on various topics and info on upcoming releases and fixes.