Application Deployment

Hi all,

I am new to Suse and Linux in general. I would like how to do the following

1. I have an application written in PHP and would like to use this as the central point of contact from end user. (This is done without problem).
  2. If i have update to the PHP website. My Question is how do I implement a way for the user to initial a rollup package from the “Upgrade” php page and then proceed to install the change. I mean it would have to check the package md5 hash against my update server.

Hope some kind soul would help to point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Regards,

Hi welcome,

Could you please tell us a bit more about what you’re trying to do, and what openSUSE’s part is in the whole story?
What I do understand is that you’ve writen a PHP webapplication, where you want the user to be able to pull in updates you provide. Is that correct?

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, this basically what I want to do plus in addition to pull in other executable files that would need update. Is there a best practice and/or most efficient way of going around the issue. Thanks again.

Is your PHP code really intended to run only on a client?
Most PHP code is embedded in a webpage and served from a Server.

If your code really is delivered within a webpage,
Then you should check, sometimes with some technologies you may need to restart the webserver to ensure caches are cleared and the new content is served (I don’t remember if this is req for PHP, but it’s usually still a good thing to check)
The User should generally render the page with the new updated code unless the browser’s cache settings render from the local cache.
This is a common issue during development when you generally <must> see the latest changes so local browser settings are modified to eliminate or minimize cache settings.

Otherwise, typically the attitude for normal Users is less imperative… Most Users will see the new content but it’s considered acceptable that a few might see the old content.for short while.

If you are actually trying to push an update to a locally installed application that’s not related to the PHP code (except that you’re trying to deliver the update through your website), then that’s normally a separate issue that’s related to the management of the locally installed app and the app itself… how they are configured to update… and typically outside the scope of the PHP code else the world would be flooded with malware by this method.

TSU

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I should have stated my intentions more clearly. I am developing an application (UI is PHP) and would be delivered as an appliance to the end customer. The only way I want to user to access the system is via the web browser. So mucking around with ssh, ftp or any Linux Root access to do any sort of system update or maintenance is a no no. I have seen quite a other few systems that can do that but I have no idea on to proceed.

Any help in the right direction would be extremely helpful? Thanks.

Typically when I see “appliance” I envision a client device or device-like application that runs entirely on the Client Host. Once it is downloaded and runs on the Host, no Internet connection is used except for possibly data. A downloaded “appliance” is very complex which differentiates from a simple application, in fact it may be a complex combination of apps.

So,
You need to describe how your PHP code is intended to run. Most of the time PHP code is designed to run server-side for a number of reasons and is not intended to run entirely on the client. If you PHP code requires a webserver, most End User clients do not have a running webserver.

Need to understand the design/architecture what your code requires and if it really should be running client-side. Remember also that PHP like all scripting code is generally very insecure running on a client and can be modified without your permission.

TSU