Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nepomuk

Default Re: Nepomuk

Quote Originally Posted by wakou View Post
    OK, but what is shown, when you click on "Details..." in the right part of "Nepomuk Semantic Desktop"?

Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    For what it's worth this is what I've found whilst playing around with nepomuk.

The setting labelled "Show hidden folders" (System Settings > Desktop Search > Indexing > Customize Folders) toggles the "index hidden folders= true/false" in nepomukstrigirc.

By default nepomukindexer will index /home and all sub-directories below, unless explicitly told otherwise.

The method of exclusion is rather convoluted to say the least, with several options:

1) Specify the indexing from "Customize Folders" - Sub-directories inherit the indexing status of their immediate parent, unless explicitly altered on a by directory basis.

2) Use the check boxes (System Settings > Desktop Search > Indexing) for particular types. (Newly added option)

3) Specify the explicit Mime type to exclude (System Settings > Desktop Search > Indexing > Advanced) - If at (2) for example Index Videos is deselected then "video/*" is added to the Mime type exclude list.

4) Specify file name patterns (System Settings > Desktop Search > Indexing > Advanced).

Initially I had problems with directories being included I thought I'd excluded, and vice versa, especially when adding new directories. Together with the badly labelled "Show hidden folders", which I had taken to mean "show in the directory tree". I was on the verge of the "I don't want this freakin' nepomuk stuff!" - I think I had got so bogged down that I couldn't see the wood for the trees.

Personally I found that explicitly including/excluding directories (1), together with file name patterns (4) was the most reliable, albeit time consuming way.

I know it's a new database, but, what happens if you run "nepomukcleaner" ?

Also "nepomukshow" (use --help for options) is quite useful to see just what information has been indexed for any particular file.
    Thank you Paul, loads there to play around with! I WILL NOT LET IT BEAT ME!

(When does 13.1 go gold again?, fresh install again, wipe out all .kde4/ settings, hope that it finally gives up and starts to work properly? Mind you, I tried that with 11.3, 11.4, 12.1, 12.2, and 12.3....... it has never worked before!)

Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

Quote Originally Posted by wakou View Post
    I WILL NOT LET IT BEAT ME!
    That's the spirit I like to see!

One other I forgot "nepomukindexer" (--help) Able to force indexing of a file, clear the indexed data, or stream it's contents to stdout.

I've got approx 9.5k files indexed, mostly pdf/odt/jpeg/mp3 - "soprano-virtuoso.db" is only 210MB...
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191011) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123