Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Skype outdated

  1. #1

    Question Skype outdated

    I'm new to Linux, and run openSUSE 12.3 with KDE. I downloaded Skype (skype-4.2.0.11-suse.i586.rpm) from the official website and it can be used for chatting, but not for video calls, as the other user (who doesn't operate on Linux) receives a message that I'm using an outdated version, even though this download option is the only one on the Skype site. I'm sure there's a way to use the application with video call, but I need some guidance regarding how to fix it.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,561

    Default Re: Skype outdated

    Quote Originally Posted by zumon View Post
    I'm new to Linux, and run openSUSE 12.3 with KDE. I downloaded Skype (skype-4.2.0.11-suse.i586.rpm) from the official website and it can be used for chatting, but not for video calls, as the other user (who doesn't operate on Linux) receives a message that I'm using an outdated version, even though this download option is the only one on the Skype site. I'm sure there's a way to use the application with video call, but I need some guidance regarding how to fix it.

    Thanks in advance
    I use skype 4.2 on openSUSE to video chat with all my friends and family who use the windows client and have no issues whatsoever.
    Skype 4.2 for linux was released about six months ago I think, so it's not really out-of-date (but is completely different to the windows client).
    Do you even have video working on your skype? You can test in the options.

    Have a look through here for any helpful tips
    SDB:Skype - openSUSE

  3. #3

    Default Re: Skype outdated

    The webcam and microphone are both working in general, and the webcam image shows up in Options, but when I test call Echo123, it says "Problem with audio playback", so the issue is with the audio. There is no configuration progress, just Options>Sound Devices, where the default microphone is selected.

    Thanks in advance

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    612

    Default Re: Skype outdated

    Quote Originally Posted by zumon View Post
    The webcam and microphone are both working in general, and the webcam image shows up in Options, but when I test call Echo123, it says "Problem with audio playback", so the issue is with the audio. There is no configuration progress, just Options>Sound Devices, where the default microphone is selected.

    Thanks in advance
    If you are using pulseaudio, make sure you have 32-bit pulse libraries installed.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Skype outdated

    Where should I go to check whether I have the libraries installed, and if not, how do I?

    Sorry about the basic questions, but I'm entirely new to this. Thanks again.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    612

    Default Re: Skype outdated

    First, open a terminal and type uname -a to see if you are using 64-bit. You will see x86_64 in the output if your system is 64-bit. For example, here is mine:
    Code:
    uname -a
    Linux linux-q1rh.site 3.10.12-rt7-3.gfeffbf9-rt1 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Oct 2 04:30:48 EDT 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    If you are using 64-bit, see if pulseaudio is running, by typing ps aux | grep -i pulseaudio. If you only see the grep command (or nothing) in the output, you are not running pulseaudio.

    If you are running both 64-bit and pulseaudio, you need to install the 32-bit libs. You can use yast to install them, or use zypper from the command line. If you decide on the latter, login to the shell as root by running su - and typing your password. Then run:
    zypper in libpulse0-32bit alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,561

    Default Re: Skype outdated

    Quote Originally Posted by zumon View Post
    The webcam and microphone are both working in general, and the webcam image shows up in Options, but when I test call Echo123, it says "Problem with audio playback", so the issue is with the audio. There is no configuration progress, just Options>Sound Devices, where the default microphone is selected.

    Thanks in advance
    the solution to your problem is in the Skype SDB I linked to in my previous post.
    Specifically
    SDB:Skype - openSUSE

  8. #8

    Default Re: Skype outdated

    It now works after having installed the 32-bit libs, thanks very much!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Skype outdated

    I have tried all of the above but yet my webcam doesnt works on a call. It does works on skype options but not in a call.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,569
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: Skype outdated

    Quote Originally Posted by zehzim View Post
    I have tried all of the above but yet my webcam doesnt works on a call. It does works on skype options but not in a call.
    Make certain you do not have another application trying to use the webcam video as the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •