Skype outdated

I’m new to Linux, and run openSUSE 12.3 with KDE. I downloaded Skype (skype-4.2.0.11-suse.i586.rpm) from the official website and it can be used for chatting, but not for video calls, as the other user (who doesn’t operate on Linux) receives a message that I’m using an outdated version, even though this download option is the only one on the Skype site. I’m sure there’s a way to use the application with video call, but I need some guidance regarding how to fix it.

Thanks in advance

I use skype 4.2 on openSUSE to video chat with all my friends and family who use the windows client and have no issues whatsoever.
Skype 4.2 for linux was released about six months ago I think, so it’s not really out-of-date (but is completely different to the windows client).
Do you even have video working on your skype? You can test in the options.

Have a look through here for any helpful tips
SDB:Skype - openSUSE

The webcam and microphone are both working in general, and the webcam image shows up in Options, but when I test call Echo123, it says “Problem with audio playback”, so the issue is with the audio. There is no configuration progress, just Options>Sound Devices, where the default microphone is selected.

Thanks in advance

If you are using pulseaudio, make sure you have 32-bit pulse libraries installed.

Where should I go to check whether I have the libraries installed, and if not, how do I?

Sorry about the basic questions, but I’m entirely new to this. Thanks again.

First, open a terminal and type uname -a to see if you are using 64-bit. You will see x86_64 in the output if your system is 64-bit. For example, here is mine:

uname -a
Linux linux-q1rh.site 3.10.12-rt7-3.gfeffbf9-rt1 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Oct 2 04:30:48 EDT 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

If you are using 64-bit, see if pulseaudio is running, by typing ps aux | grep -i pulseaudio. If you only see the grep command (or nothing) in the output, you are not running pulseaudio.

If you are running both 64-bit and pulseaudio, you need to install the 32-bit libs. You can use yast to install them, or use zypper from the command line. If you decide on the latter, login to the shell as root by running su - and typing your password. Then run:
zypper in libpulse0-32bit alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit

the solution to your problem is in the Skype SDB I linked to in my previous post.
Specifically
SDB:Skype - openSUSE

It now works after having installed the 32-bit libs, thanks very much!

I have tried all of the above but yet my webcam doesnt works on a call. It does works on skype options but not in a call.

Make certain you do not have another application trying to use the webcam video as the same time.

No other application trying to use the webcam. Well, it would not work under skype options if other application was using it anyway.
I have tried everything on this topic and a lot of other topics in other foruns aswell with no results. It works perfectly fine on skype -> options ->video devices. But if I or someone else starts a video call my webcam will always be disabled (even is “starts my video automatically when I am in a call” is selected) and the button to enable or disable the webcam/video on the call will not be clickable as if I had no webcam.

Maybe the drivers? But then I can’t seen to find the drivers…

This is what I get from YaST hardware information:

This is a notebook, the webcam is USB but its not an external webcam. Thats the one from the notebook.

59: USB 00.0: 0000 Unclassified device
  [Created at usb.122]
  Unique ID: 2UT6.4JGr8GjksYD
  Parent ID: k4bc.YdoZZg0c8i6
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0
  SysFS BusID: 1-3:1.0
  Hardware Class: unknown
**  Model: "Suyin HP Webcam"**
  Hotplug: USB
  Vendor: usb 0x064e "Suyin Corp."
  Device: usb 0xf209 "HP Webcam"
  Revision: "2.01"
  Serial ID: "HF0315-J311-OV01-VH-R02.00.01"
  Driver: "uvcvideo"
  Driver Modules: "uvcvideo"
  Device File: /dev/input/event9
  Device Files: /dev/input/event9, /dev/input/by-id/usb-SuYin_HP_Webcam-event-if00, /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:12.2-usb-0:3:1.0-event
  Device Number: char 13:73
  Speed: 480 Mbps
  Module Alias: "usb:v064EpF209d0201dcEFdsc02dp01ic0Eisc01ip00in00"
  Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: uvcvideo is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe uvcvideo"
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #58 (Hub)

This reads to me to be a Skype bug …

Well, that makes it clear. Your webcam is identified as a uvc compatible webcam, and your openSUSE is using the ‘uvc’ webcam driver. Note the page: Linux UVC driver & tools lists the 064e:f209 as being a UVC compatible webcam.

If you type:

lsmod | grep uvc 

That should prove the uvcvideo driver is loaded. For example on my Toshiba Ultrabook with an integrated UVC compatible webcam I get:

oldcpu@toshiba:~> lsmod | grep uvc
uvcvideo               84981  0 
videobuf2_core         44595  1 uvcvideo
videodev              141701  2 uvcvideo,videobuf2_core
videobuf2_vmalloc      13216  1 uvcvideo

… Possibly you are missing a Skype dependancy ? How did you install Skype ? Did you follow the guidance here: SDB:Skype - openSUSE … ie send the command as a regular user (and then enter root password when prompted):

su -c 'zypper install libqt4-32bit libqt4-x11-32bit libpng12-0-32bit libQtWebKit4-32bit xorg-x11-libs libXss1-32bit libpng12-0'

Well, that makes it clear. Your webcam is identified as a uvc compatible webcam, and your openSUSE is using the ‘uvc’ webcam driver. Note the page: Linux UVC driver & tools lists the 064e:f209 as being a UVC compatible webcam.

Thats funny. My notebook is not dv7, but dv6.

If you type:lsmod | grep uvc

kz@integerParseInt:~> lsmod | grep uvc
uvcvideo               84941  0 
videobuf2_core         35910  1 uvcvideo
videodev              129333  2 uvcvideo,videobuf2_core
videobuf2_vmalloc      13021  1 uvcvideo

So yep, very similar result.

Possibly you are missing a Skype dependancy ? How did you install Skype ? Did you follow the guidance here: SDB:Skype - openSUSE … ie send the command as a regular user (and then enter root password when prompted):…]

kz@integerParseInt:~> su -c 'zypper install libqt4-32bit libqt4-x11-32bit libpng12-0-32bit libQtWebKit4-32bit xorg-x11-libs libXss1-32bit libpng12-0'
Password: 
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
'xorg-x11-libs' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'xorg-x11-libs-7.6-39.1.1.noarch'. The highest available version is already installed.
'libpng12-0' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'libpng12-0-1.2.50-3.1.1.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'libqt4-x11-32bit' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'libqt4-x11-32bit-4.8.4-3.6.1.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'libXss1-32bit' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'libXss1-32bit-1.2.2-4.1.1.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'libpng12-0-32bit' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'libpng12-0-32bit-1.2.50-3.1.1.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'libqt4-32bit' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'libqt4-32bit-4.8.4-3.6.1.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'libQtWebKit4-32bit' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'libQtWebKit4-32bit-4.8.4+2.2.0-3.5.1.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.
kz@integerParseInt:~> 

So far I tried everything I know. It used to work on previous suse versions (11.2 and 12.1) but that was 1 year and 6 months ago. And yes, I followed the suse skype tutorial when installing.

I note you obtained :

and I note I obtain :

oldcpu@toshiba:~> su -c 'zypper install libqt4-32bit libqt4-x11-32bit libpng12-0-32bit libQtWebKit4-32bit xorg-x11-libs libXss1-32bit libpng12-0'
Password: 
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
'xorg-x11-libs' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'xorg-x11-libs-7.6-42.1.2.noarch'. The highest available version is already installed.
'libpng12-0' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'libpng12-0-1.2.50-6.1.2.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'libqt4-x11-32bit' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'libqt4-x11-32bit-4.8.5-5.6.1.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'libXss1-32bit' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'libXss1-32bit-1.2.2-7.1.2.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'libpng12-0-32bit' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'libpng12-0-32bit-1.2.50-6.1.2.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'libqt4-32bit' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'libqt4-32bit-4.8.5-5.6.1.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'libQtWebKit4-32bit' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'libQtWebKit4-32bit-4.8.5+2.3.3-2.6.1.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.
oldcpu@toshiba:~>

We have different versions of the applications …

Please, what openSUSE version are you using ? If you are using a 64-bit openSUSE-13.1, could you please provide the output of :

zypper lr -d

so that we can check what repositories you have in place ?

This is a near fresh suse 12.3. What I have done so far is installing flash, skype and an update. I have also added packman repository and removed a repository that was pointing to CD/DVD (wich I dont remember setting)

Those are the results you asked:

kz@integerParseInt:~> zypper lr -d
#  | Alias                             | Name                                | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                  | Service
---+-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+----------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
 1 | download.opensuse.org-filesystems | openSUSE BuildService - filesystems | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/filesystems/openSUSE_12.3/ |        
 2 | ftp.gwdg.de-suse_1                | Packman Repository                  | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/openSUSE_12.3/             |        
 3 | repo-debug                        | openSUSE-12.3-Debug                 | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/12.3/repo/oss/       |        
 4 | repo-debug-update                 | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Debug          | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/12.3/                      |        
 5 | repo-debug-update-non-oss         | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Debug-Non-Oss  | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/12.3-non-oss/              |        
 6 | repo-non-oss                      | openSUSE-12.3-Non-Oss               | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.3/repo/non-oss/         |        
 7 | repo-oss                          | openSUSE-12.3-Oss                   | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.3/repo/oss/             |        
 8 | repo-source                       | openSUSE-12.3-Source                | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/12.3/repo/oss/      |        
 9 | repo-update                       | openSUSE-12.3-Update                | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.3/                            |        
10 | repo-update-non-oss               | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Non-Oss        | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.3-non-oss/                    |        
kz@integerParseInt:~> 

Thanks ,… I was more interested in that output if you had 13.1. But you have 12.3

I don’t think there is much more I can suggest. Hopefully someone else has some ideas why your integrated webcam does not work with skype. (Note I am assuming you have Skype set up properly in its internal application options).