installing Mininet on opensuse 12.3

Hello everyone,
does any one know how should i install mininet on opensuse 12.3?
Actually i have installed VirtualBox on opensuse but i can not run mininet on that.
please tell me know something.
Thank you!

Hi, welcome

What is mininet? Looking at http//software.opensuse.org there’s no package for openSUSE

Thank you,
Mininet is a network emulator which creates a network of virtual hosts, switches, controllers, and links.

Here’s the generic instructions: Download/Get Started with Mininet - Mininet

One of the things you could try is to use “alien” to convert the .deb packages to .rpm, another option is to start a project in the Open Build Service and create your own openSUSE packages.

On 10/01/2013 06:36 AM, Knurpht wrote:
>
> Here’s the generic instructions: ‘Download/Get Started with Mininet -
> Mininet’ (http://mininet.org/download/)
>
> One of the things you could try is to use “alien” to convert the .deb
> packages to .rpm, another option is to start a project in the Open Build
> Service and create your own openSUSE packages.

Using the link above, I downloaded the Mininet 2.1-64 zip file and unzipped it.
I then started VirtualBox and used File->Import Appliance to import the .ovf
file. The machine then booted on my openSUSE 12.3-64 real machine, and gave me a
login prompt.

actually i followed this URL instruction but after import mininet to virtualBox i received this error:
A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped.
For help, please see the Community section on http://www.virtualbox.org or your support contract. Please provide the contents of the log file VBox.log and the image file VBox.png, which you can find in the /home/hamzeh/VirtualBox VMs/Mininet-VM_1/Logs directory, as well as a description of what you were doing when this error happened. Note that you can also access the above files by selecting Show Log from the Machine menu of the main VirtualBox window.
Press OK if you want to power off the machine or press Ignore if you want to leave it as is for debugging. Please note that debugging requires special knowledge and tools, so it is recommended to press OK now.

By the way, i am new with opensuse, i do not know how to use alien to convert .deb packages to rpm,

actually i followed that URL’s instruction but after import mininet to virtualBox i received this error:
A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped.
For help, please see the Community section on http://www.virtualbox.org or your support contract. Please provide the contents of the log file VBox.log and the image file VBox.png, which you can find in the /home/hamzeh/VirtualBox VMs/Mininet-VM_1/Logs directory, as well as a description of what you were doing when this error happened. Note that you can also access the above files by selecting Show Log from the Machine menu of the main VirtualBox window.
Press OK if you want to power off the machine or press Ignore if you want to leave it as is for debugging. Please note that debugging requires special knowledge and tools, so it is recommended to press OK now.

so i couldn’t solve this problem, and sometimes only show me a black screen!

i tried it again , right now.
this time i received this error:
Failed to import appliance /home/hamzeh/mininet-2.1.0-130919-ubuntu-13.04-server-i386.ovf.
Could not open the medium storage unit ‘/home/hamzeh/mininet-vm-i386.vmdk’.
VD: error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file ‘/home/hamzeh/mininet-vm-i386.vmdk’ (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Re your specific error.

1. Check to see the file actually exists at that path, otherwise modify. Note that if the mininet code uses relative paths, it will make a diff whether you’re logged in as root or as a regular User and IMO would be a bug in mininet since it seems that some things require logging in a root instead as a User (you can experiment with sudo instead of actually logging in as root).
  2. If the file exists, then check that you have required permissions to run that file in the context of how you’re accessing that file

More:
Reading the INSTALL file

• Although it’s possible to d/l and extract a tarball as lwfinger did, the instructions also describe downloading by using git which is likely far preferable so that you get the latest stable code.
  • Although I doubt you have progressed to the point where you can test your mininet, I notice that the mininet install may not automatically install the following dependencies which means you’ll need to install these separately

tun/tap utiliities
openVswitch (says this may be a prerequisite on non-Debian systems but auto installed if running on Debian. I installed this from software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 12.3)
Python (and IMO likely python dev packages)
Ping (IIRC automatically included in a regular openSUSE install, but not in some deployments like LXC)
Iperf

The documentation also says you need to be running as root to configure your mininet networking.

HTH,
TSU

On 10/01/2013 10:46 AM, tsu2 wrote:
>
> Re your specific error.
> 1. Check to see the file actually exists at that path, otherwise modify.
> Note that if the mininet code uses relative paths, it will make a diff
> whether you’re logged in as root or as a regular User and IMO would be a
> bug in mininet since it seems that some things require logging in a root
> instead as a User (you can experiment with sudo instead of actually
> logging in as root).
> 2. If the file exists, then check that you have required permissions to
> run that file in the context of how you’re accessing that file
>
> More:
> Reading the INSTALL file
> - Although it’s possible to d/l and extract a tarball as lwfinger did,
> the instructions also describe downloading by using git which is likely
> far preferable so that you get the latest stable code.
> - Although I doubt you have progressed to the point where you can test
> your mininet, I notice that the mininet install may not automatically
> install the following dependencies which means you’ll need to install
> these separately

I would think that building mininet would be a lot harder than implementing the
pre-made VM image.
>

> tun/tap utiliities
> openVswitch (says this may be a prerequisite on non-Debian systems but
> auto installed if running on Debian. I installed this from
> ‘software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 12.3’
> (http://software.opensuse.org))
> Python (and IMO likely python dev packages)
> Ping (IIRC automatically included in a regular openSUSE install, but not
> in some deployments like LXC)
> Iperf
>
> The documentation also says you need to be running as root to configure
> your mininet networking.

Yes, but that will be as root in the VM, not on the host.

I did use the 64-bit version, not 32 bit.

thank you for your help i tried other recommendation and i received this error:
For help, please see the Community section on http://www.virtualbox.org or your support contract. Please provide the contents of the log file VBox.log and the image file VBox.png, which you can find in the /home/hamzeh/VirtualBox VMs/Mininet-VM/Logs directory, as well as a description of what you were doing when this error happened. Note that you can also access the above files by selecting Show Log from the Machine menu of the main VirtualBox window.

and the following error comes up follow to the above error:

A fatal error has occurred during virtual machine execution! The virtual machine will be powered off. Please copy the following error message using the clipboard to help diagnose the problem:
The guest is trying to switch to the PAE mode which is currently disabled by default in VirtualBox. PAE support can be enabled using the VM settings (General/Advanced).

Error ID: PAEmode
Severity: Fatal Error

Thanks you in advance

On 10/02/2013 03:46 AM, khhfls2000 wrote:
>
> thank you for your help i tried other recommendation and i received this
> error:
> A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the
> machine execution has been stopped.
> For help, please see the Community section on
> ‘http://www.virtualbox.org’ (http://www.virtualbox.org) or your support
> contract. Please provide the contents of the log file VBox.log and the
> image file VBox.png, which you can find in the /home/hamzeh/VirtualBox
> VMs/Mininet-VM/Logs directory, as well as a description of what you were
> doing when this error happened. Note that you can also access the above
> files by selecting Show Log from the Machine menu of the main VirtualBox
> window.
>
> and the following error comes up follow to the above error:
>
> A fatal error has occurred during virtual machine execution! The virtual
> machine will be powered off. Please copy the following error message
> using the clipboard to help diagnose the problem:
> The guest is trying to switch to the PAE mode which is currently
> disabled by default in VirtualBox. PAE support can be enabled using the
> VM settings (General/Advanced).
>
>
> Error ID:
> PAEmode
>
>
> Severity:
> Fatal Error

Have you turned on PAE mode in the VM settings the way the message says?

Thanks Dude, Finally its work. :slight_smile:
I appreciate for your help.

with Best wishes

However, when I try with Option 2: Native Installation from Source, I get this information:
Detected Linux distribution: openSUSE project 13.2 Harlequin i386
Install.sh currently only supports Ubuntu, Debian, RedHat and Fedora.
I try to edit mininet/util/install.sh file, but the installation failed. Some tips can you give me?

Hi
A user has packaged it up;
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=home%3Amnhauke&package=mininet
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mnhauke/openSUSE_13.2/

If you still have issues, please start a new thread since this thread is about an old/unsupported version and will close the thread.