12.3 suddenly starts icewm instead of kdm

Hi all,

Upon rebooting 1,23 today - after having used 13.1Beta on another disk in the system for a few days - I get an icewm login prompt instead of kdm.
Does anyone know where I can change that, and what might have caused that?

I can’ t find the way to edit this post, so I’ll punt the addendum here:

/etc/sysconfig still reports kde-plasma as the default windowmanager.

Please hold off on any further comments until this gets moved to the beta forum.

Thank You,

After a PM with jehojakim, I am told this is an issue with openSUSE 12.3 and not with openSUSE 13.1 and so you may post your response here as the correct location.

Thank You,

What’s an “icewm login prompt”?

I often use “icewm” but I still see the same login prompt as when I am using KDE. It is after the login that things change.

I’m going to assume that what you mean is that you are logged into “icewm” instead of to KDE.

Are you setup for autologin? If you are, then just logout, and you should get the KDM login window. Login there, but before you hit enter, go to the settings menu and select KDE plasma desktop. After doing that once, it should remember for your next login.

Alternatively,

cd
rm .dmrc

The file “.dmrc” in your home directory is what remember your last login. If you delete that you should get back to the system default.

And a note on 13.1. When I am testing 13.1, I DO NOT use the same home partition. Perhaps I’ll do with a separate home partition, and copy everything from my regular home partition. If you share the home partition between two different versions, then you can run into problems with settings files for those versions.

Does /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager have

DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

?

Question: did you perform any updates, the last time you ran 12.3?

And check that the package “kdm” is installed.

Makes me think it would be good to go to the console on the login screen (Ctrl-Alt-F1), login with username and password and do

sudo zypper ref
sudo zypper up

Reboot after the updates have installed.

Yes, is has! And no, I did not update not after I logged out of 12.3.

But I did upgrade with zypper up on noticing I got the wrong WM. But that didn’t help.

It is definitively another login prompt…

Are you setup for autologin? If you are, then just logout, and you should get the KDM login window. Login there, but before you hit enter, go to the settings menu and select KDE plasma desktop. After doing that once, it should remember for your next login.

Alternatively,

cd
rm .dmrc

The file “.dmrc” in your home directory is what remember your last login. If you delete that you should get back to the system default.

It has “kdm” as the last login…

And a note on 13.1. When I am testing 13.1, I DO NOT use the same home partition. Perhaps I’ll do with a separate home partition, and copy everything from my regular home partition. If you share the home partition between two different versions, then you can run into problems with settings files for those versions.

No, I never use the same home partition for production and testversion. The testversion is on a separate disk, and has it’ s own home partition.

And there you got me - it wasn’t. Neither were plasma-folderview, plasma-addons, konsole, and probably a few more - I have to look into it.

How on earth that has occured, I wouldn’t know, but, well, now I know where to look.

Thanks!

Mixing different openSUSE versions on the same /home/username might do it. You can not mix things up and expect no problems, particularly when using beta software, no matter the intent when used on the same PC.

Thank You,

Yes, I understand that, but that’s not what I do. As I said in another post in this thread (yesterday, 18:58, in answer to nrickert) I never use the same home partition for the test versions and for the production version. It’s two separate home dirs, not only on another partition, but also on another disk, which disk is solely used for the test version.

Let me say that with PC’s no one has to have done anything wrong nor must there be any known explanation. In the past, short of “messing around” with different openSUSE and Linux versions, the only other problem I have had has been hardware related including a bad SSD once and a bad power supply once. Not very common, but beyond that I am not sure I can provide any other story that might fit. One thing is for sure, computers work great until the exact time and place of their on selection and then they mess up as they wish, without regard to any user action that has been taken in the recent past.

Thank You,