GTK+ 2.24 built from source by myself for openSUSE 11.4

Hi,

I’m running
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11.4
CODENAME = Celadon

An application (darktable) I want to update complains about needing GTK 2.24 but my openSUSE 11.4 has only GTK 2.22 .
So I downloaded gtk±2.24.21 source and made it according to the installation instructions. (prefix=/opt/usr, sysconfig=/opt/etc)
make and make install went through smoothly and installed everything - as far as I understand - in /opt/usr and /opt/etc.
So I made it for /usr and /etc, but now I’m hesitant to install it right over my openSUSE 11.4

Can anybody contribute experience what consequences it may have to punctually update an old openSUSE this way?
Is there a way back if something goes wrong? (I would just reinstall the original openSUSE package from a command line console?)

Sorry, if this topic is wrong in this sub-forum. Please forward it to where it may be better suited if possible.

Thanks for any advice,

Karl

On 2013-09-29 13:06, kcbehler wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m running
> openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64)
> VERSION = 11.4
> CODENAME = Celadon

Notice that version 11.4 is past its normal life: it is not maintained
by SUSE staff, but by a group of volunteers under the project name
“Evergreen”.

openSUSE:Evergreen

But that also means that there are no “upgrades”, only security patches
are applied.

> An application (darktable) I want to update complains about needing GTK
> 2.24 but my openSUSE 11.4 has only GTK 2.22 .

If you want a new version for applications, 11.4 is not for you. Install
instead 12.3.

> Can anybody contribute experience what consequences it may have to
> punctually update an old openSUSE this way?

Don’t.

You may break every app that uses gtk, like the entire gnome, mozilla, etc.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Hi Carlos,
thanks for your warning. I took it serious, but I did it anyway. It took me approx. 8 hours :wink:
I followed the instructions in GTK±2.24.21 (Thank you guys, you were a great help:).)
Downloaded and built the prerequisites step by step (without Xorg and Pango, never optional packages).
However, in all configure commands I’ve added --libdir=/usr/lib64 (removed some --enables and --with to spare going into more dependencies).
Finally when configuring gtk2 I had to provide PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib64/pkgconfig

Finally I could build darktable from GIT master (also providing the PKG_CONFIG_PATH) successfully.
After reboot everything with gnome and mozilla is fine. Darktable is faster than ever.

Take care,
Karl